“Sleepless night in a concrete jungle” 3 of 5 bubbles

Inn at Middleton Place
Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Highland Park, New Jersey
“Sleepless night in a concrete jungle”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

At first, we picked Middleton Place because we thought "hey, this will be different!" - and it did not disappoint on that front. I have to laugh now but at the time, I was pretty unsettled by the bugs and the slightly Southern Gothic goes camping vibe. Perhaps it was because we did not know that many a New Age-y retreat is hosted here, during peak season, and that it is primarily a conference center and not a romantic Plantation Inn. Oh well. Live and learn and then write on TripAdvisor to warn others!

Upon arrival, we were shocked to find the place quite literally deserted. We saw perhaps one other car on the property, once we waited thirty minutes for someone to arrive at the gate house/check-in counter. If it weren't for being in the middle of the woods with no overnight guard, 'secluded' would have been fine and romantic even. This was wayyyy too Robinson Crusoe for me. The giant palmetto bugs (which we were warned about, I admit) only added to the atmosphere and guaranteed a sleepless night from me. The grounds of the "inn" are in need of restoration. You literally are in the swamps when you leave your unit - which had some pretty massive poisonous spiders who made their home in the stairwells. I'm not a freak about bugs in general but this was really alarming. We don't have these suckers in New Jersey.

The room itself was spacious - very rustic and charming. I can see the fireplace being lovely in the winter. It must be romantic (kind of like the Poconos where we live) when you're not scared to death to use the bathroom as giant bugs are crawling out of the drain. The bathroom was quite lovely and huge! It had a Japanese zen feel. I wanted to like the whole property but I just couldn't get over the isolation and run down appearance.

However, it is totally worth the price of admission - and the overnight thrills - since you can walk to the neighboring Middleton Place (the plantation with passes included in overnight rate.) That was spectacular, even in the July rain and humidity. I want to go back in the spring when it's is in bloom to see it in all its glory. The restaurant there was wonderful - not super atmospheric but then the panoramic windows speak for themselves. We dined while looking over the small lake (did I mention the live gators everywhere? very cool!). Some amazing history to be learned and Middleton is amazingly intact.

All in all, this was quite the adventure. Not as luxurious as the books and website make it out to be but worth it for the admission to the plantation grounds and a great overnight stop en route to Charleston. Continental breakfast is in the conference room on the lake, about a five minute walk from the main lodge. It was basic - cereal, fruit - but the facilities were very nice.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PallasAthena08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

I know the economy is making everyone cut corners but I think the management at Middleton Place needs to take a closer look at the many things that need repair. The rooms need a total facelist, especially the bathrooms as they are really wearing out after all these years. The outside needs painting and cleaning. Room amenities are non existent. Bathrobes would be nice, better toiletries, better towels. The bathrooms need regrouting. Otherwise the service is good and of course, the ambience is wonderful. Don't let it go to disrepair.

Room Tip: Pay more for a better room
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelpaws
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

Fantastic, one-of-a-kind, peaceful, beautiful - that is how I describe this very unique property. We stayed at the Inn during a beautiful May weekend. (For those not in the know, May and October are the best months to visit South Carolina). The rooms certainly need some simple updating, and the televisions are pathetic, but overall, this is a really wonderful property that I highly recommend. I will definitely stay there again.

2 Thank UrDaddySC
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

The outside of our room (doorway and windows) was draped in spiderwebs with fallen leaves stuck in them. The inside smelled of the wood burning fireplace which was now closed for the season. However the birds that lived in the chimney didn't know it was closed. The tile in the bathroom was chipped in several places and the backing of silver on the mirror was missing and pealing at the the edges. The cold marble bathroom floor had NO rug to stand on in bare feet but the rug in the bedroom area was stained or maybe the spots were burn marks from embers from the fireplace. The icing on the cake in this room was the cockroach dying the corner the first morning we woke up. Should I bother to talk about the old bikes whose seats kept tilting as we rode or the trails on which we were supposed to follow that weren't mowed to even easy to find? We had to walk to the restaurants, social area and registration while constantly swatting bugs! I didn't sign up for camping! The employees were so kind and friendly but just couldn't make up for the overall experience. Unfortunate.

Room Tip: Ask for riverview, upstairs.
3 Thank cricket4660
NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

Memorable historic Charleston experience AND a decent price. I went into this thinking of it as a rustic cabin/condo rental rather an a hotel. If you are looking for plushy/fancy hotel or nightlife, this is not it. If you want to escape the city, but still experience Charleston, this tastefully simple option is it! We arrived well before check-in (4 pm) and received our free admissions to the gardens & museum and gave our cell phone to be called when the room was ready (330 pm). Everything is a little old, but not in a dated or bad way. Our river view room had wifi, tv, hair dryer, coffee maker, mini-fridge with free bottled water, and hardwood/tile floors. All rooms have outdoor access and shutters on the wall of windows. Although there was a distinct fireplace smell, it was subtle and charming and didn't bother me at all (and I'm pretty picky!). The bathroom, with black grout tile, is a little odd, but was clean and large. We enjoyed the pool, nature trails, complimentary wine & appetizer reception/breakfast, and the river view, but the best part was the after/before access to Middleton Place grounds. Like your own private garden! We awoke to chirping birds and dewy morning sun. It takes about 20 minutes to get into the city but is totally worth it.

Room Tip: We booked the Historic Getaway Package
2 Thank calliehope
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

We missed the azaleas but that is the only thing we felt we missed. We really needed a quiet, comfortable place and we got that and much more -- beauty of nature, a step back in time, and the kindest, friendliest staff ever from Will, a groundskeeper, to Kyle, our happy hour host. The room accomodations were serene, understated and complete.

The walk around the south rice field brought us up close to a scene of unspoiled natural beauty and wildlife. We saw alligators, cormorants, blue heron, egrets and more. The restaurant is excellent and the formal grounds of Middleton Place are outstanding. Also, the proximity to Charleston is ideal.

1 Thank nmg_11
Tampa, Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2011

We chose this inn based on other great reviews and we were not disappointed! I am surprised that there were a few negative reviews though. Maybe I can address some of the issues they raised and hopefully clarify a few things. Let me begin by saying this is not the Ritz Carlton. I gave The Inn at Middleton Inn 5 stars because - for its category - it suprassed our expectations. This is a unique and charming property in an unparalleled location - directly on the Ashley River and adjacent to historic Middleton Plantation with its stunning gardens and family home ($36 entry fee p/p included with your room rate! A significant value right there).

As for the room rate, we found it to be significantly cheaper than downtown Charleston! In fact, at about $135 a night before tax, we felt like we were getting a bargain. Having access to the grounds at the plantation is a HUGE plus. I have not experienced the other gardens in the area (Magnolia Plantation is a stone's throw away), but I have been to some incredible castle gardens in Europe... as well as Monticello and Mount Vernon in the U.S., and the Middleton Place gardens hold their own.

Free and easy access to all of this beauty is a unique feature which I haven't experienced at any other inn so I give it high marks for that.

The setting is so tranquil, I can say I actually enjoyed being on the hotel property more than I did my first excursion into downtown Charleston, although that was also fantastic. I was just extremely grateful to "come home" to Middleton Place.

Other great values:
*A very generous "Happy Hour" from 5-7 pm with complimentary beer, wine and snacks including an assortment of cheeses, crackers, fruit, chips and queso.

*Complimentary "Healthy Start" breakfast. I agree with some reviewers who said this isn't the best free breakfast they've ever had, but it's decent and you can get a cooked-to order hot breakfast for about $10. The setting for the breakfast room is lovely, huge glass windows overlooking trees.

*Free and ample parking.

Other notes:

Our room was extremely clean - no dust, bugs or leaves. A few people did complain about the smoky smell from the fireplace. We definitely did exprerience that, too - as soon as I stepped into the room, in fact. I am very sensitive to smells, especially smoke, so I understand how that could be an issue for some people. But I guess I was charmed by the overall experience, so I was able to overlook that.

The design of the buildings is also very unique. If Frank Lloyd Wright designed a dormitory, it might look and feel something like this. The rooms are bright with floor-to-ceiling windows and are sparsely - but nicely - furnished. Sort of made me feel like I was in a Danish Chalet or something. The emphasis is definitely on the outdoors.

A point of contention with some reviewers seems to be the bathrooms. My husband and I actually thought they were cool, although they are not typical and far from luxurious. Ours was very clean. The bathtub is basically a tiled, rectangular concrete block - which was cool to shower in but I was never tempted to soak in it. It was also very clean.

Other pluses were: warm and friendly service from the entire staff, a fine dining on-site restaurant (resevrations needed), and a snack bar in the main lodge where we could get inexpensive sandwiches.

NOTE: We stayed on the first floor, but there are a lot of steep stairs to get to the second floor units - something to think about if you have a problem walking.

In a nutshell, if you want a charming getaway in the country that's also just 20 minutes from downtown - this is it!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple