Inn at Middleton Place
US$263
EmbassySuites.com
US$375
  • Breakfast included
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$254
US$225
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$295
US$364
Indigo Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$148
HIExpress.com
1,460 results
All reviewsashley riverfloor to ceiling windowshouse tourplantation groundsfree admissionwood burning fireplacegrand roomrice plantationspanish mosslive oaksriver viewevening receptiondowntown charlestonhappy hourcocktail hourminute drivecomplimentary breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My wife and I were looking for a quiet getaway to destress, unwind, and celebrate our 3rd anniversary. We were certainly not disappointed in the Inn at Middleton Place; it was exactly what the doctor ordered! The Inn is by no means the Ritz Carlton, but that's what makes it so unique. The Inn is designed to peacefully coexist with nature, not to disrupt it for the sake of convenience. I'll admit that the look of the buildings takes some getting used to - as many have already said, they kind of resemble something you might find at summer camp. Having said that, however, the rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet. This is the ultimate place to leave the cares of the world behind! And since the admission to the Gardens (which are spectacular!!) is already included in the room price - along with admission to the house museum as well as breakfast - it's really a great value.

Again - if you're looking for something akin to the Marriott or the Hyatt, this place is not for you. There's no paved access to anything, so your car will get muddy if rains. The rooms DO smell like a fireplace (my wife loved that, by the way!), and there are no elevators. But what you get is a comfy, rustic room in a gorgeous and peaceful setting. It's truly a unique experience.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room in the main building, which is easier to access and has better views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ktvermilyea
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the inn. Our room was spacious and the ambiance was peaceful and relaxing. The pool and chairs overlooking the river were inviting when we arrived. We especially enjoyed the after closing hours experience in the plantation gardens. Early morning the alligators were basking in the sun. We flew home after our stay and it was a luxurious last night of our trip after touring the low country area. We recommend a stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RAF077
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I had mixed emotions here. When we first pulled up, I was disappointed. The lobby is plain. The rooms are in one of 4-5 lodges. The lodges are not attractive, plain rectangular concrete buildings. They are nestled in woods along the Ashley. Are we camping? Are we going to be killed? The road is dirt, so you really do feel like this is a camp as you try to decipher if this or that is a place where you should park. We were on the bottom floor. But beware, some rooms are on the second floor, and there isn't an elevator. So if you stay there and don't want to lug your suitcases upstairs, request first floor.

Inside, the rooms were equally confusing. The website pics show a cute bed with a white bedspread and a wall full of windows and wooden shutters. All true. It was cute. What wasn't shown is that the other walls were white painted concrete. And the paint job seemed a bit sloppy. Although, granted it's hard to get an even finish on rough concrete. Some things were dated. The phone had to be original to the room, built in the 1980's. But no big deal. The TV was not a flat screen, which isn't huge. The bathroom was plain, straight lines. I think they get away with some of the datedness, simply because it was going for a unique simpleness in the architecture. The pale tiles in the bathroom had black grout. Not a fan. To me, black grout says, "Pss, you'll never be able to tell if I'm clean." We also found a rather large spider and some sort of centipede in our room come morning.

The good things about the room were the windows and view of the wooded land and Ashley River, refrigerator, bathrobes, complimentary water and trail mix, big bathtub, extra vanity space with sink, nice toiletries.

Other amenities I liked about the inn. They have breakfast included, which was basically continental. The breads were very good. You could spend extra to order hot items. Breakfast was served in a different building. So if it's bad weather, that might be a turn off. (But they do provide umbrellas). They also have a wine cheese reception at the lodge from 5-7. That was pretty good. There is a pool near the lodge too. You can eat at the Middleton Place restaurant, not that you have to stay at the inn to eat there, but it's nice to take a stroll over there. I believe inn guests can also wander around the grounds after hours, until dusk. That is a nice perk if you are planning on visiting Magnolia or Drayton Hall. You can take a quick tour of the Middleton home, then head out to the other places until close, and come back to enjoy the Middleton grounds after hours.

I think between the amenities and location, this is a nice option for a night or two, but no more. While I didn't like the architecture or set up, apparently this place won some awards. The designers were going for some kind of simpleness, unobtrusive to nature. It just doesn't seem to be cohesive with a fancy restaurant and plantation tour next door at Middleton Place.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jcoldc
Reviewed 24 May 2012

My husband & I, both architects, stayed for 2 nights several weeks ago. I had fallen in love with photos of the building back when it was built 20 - 25 yrs ago, an award winning design. I was very excited to have the opportunity to stay here, and was not disappointed. Different from your average hotel, with hardwood floors & scatter rugs, working fireplace in each room (but only during wintertime), floor to ceiling windows with operable shutters, that look out to a fabulous view to a large green expanse with the ashley river in the background. The bath is generously sized and has a large soaking tub. Located about 20 mins. outside of historic charleston, you can drive into town or spend the entire day at the inn, which is on the grounds of an 18th century plantation. There is a house tour, vast formal gardens, wooded trails, horses for riding, carriage tour, bicycles, kayaks. Every evening is a happy hour at a communal room (lovely!) with complementary beer, wine, and snacks. Breakfast in another building was a brief morning stroll away, (umbrellas provided at every room just in case), we were very pleased with the complementary selection and the serene atmosphere (as compared to run of the mill hotel often filled with lots of noisy folks leaving lots of mess). Again, floor to ceiling windows provided a wonderful view of the woods and a nearby creek. Perfect facility for conferences, and we found
reasonable prices at Orbitz. Bonus: lots of alligators! They leave you alone and for those of us from the north, an unusual site we don't get to see. The only negative comment I have is that the bathroom had an "earthy" smell, and the tap water had a sort of "marshy" taste. They do provide bottled water in each room tho, and the room itself was fine.

Room Tip: Wee stayed in the main building, on the middle level. I would think this level or the top floor would be best for views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BarbaraHal
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This was my second stay at the Inn. For a relaxing change of pace for business travelers or a romantic stay for two, you can't pick a better location in the Charleston area. Unwind with a book in one of the numerous hammocks, or a glass of wine at the lodge overlooking the Ashley River...just can't beat it! That is just a small taste of the relaxing options at the Inn. I will be back soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business