Inn at Middleton Place
US$263
EmbassySuites.com
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$409
  • Breakfast included
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$147
US$446
Hotels.com
Excellent 5/5
1,462 results
All reviewsashley riverfloor to ceiling windowshouse tourplantation groundsfree admissionwood burning fireplacegrand roomrice plantationspanish mosslive oaksriver viewevening receptiondowntown charlestonhappy hourcocktail hourminute drivecomplimentary breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 June 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights at Middleton Place. It is in the lovely countryside outside the city of Charleston. The rates are very reasonable for the accomodations, free elegant breakfast,and access to the plantation gardens. The flowers were exquisite! Our room was huge and the view was very serene overlooking the marshes. The architecture of the buildings
is unique and they blend nicely into the natural setting. We highly recommend this property,as well as the Middleton Place Gardens.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We loved this place!

Pros:
- The buildings are SOLID. You will not hear a peep from anyone else's room.
- Walking around the grounds is very relaxing. You can rent canoes to go out on the Ashley River, explore, or go over to the plantation for a tour.
- They have reception with free drinks, snacks, and games downstairs.
- Just like everyone else in Charleston, the employees are EXTREMELY FRIENDLY!
- The little things make the difference. The Inn gives you a free bottle of water in room, a bag of trail mix, and some other snacks. Who does that kind of stuff anymore!?

Cons:
- We felt a little out of place with a 9 year old and a 1 year old.
- The drive the get downtown is a pain. You have to drive completely out of the way because Ashley River Road doesn't connect to anything else until about 8 miles up the road.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Staying at the Inn at Middleton Place is a little like sleeping inside a diorama. The rectangular concrete and plywood rooms must once have been fashionable, and I get that the architect wanted to give it a rustic flair, but I kept expecting the cast of Hair to trip down the narrow concrete stairways. We did have a truncated view of the river and the grounds, which are beautiful, but light from the other buildings leaked in through the shutters that cover the glass walls from the floor up. The shower is funky, a huge tiled trough that doubles as shower or bathtub, but the nozzle hit me nose-high, so I had to bend a lot. Don't get me wrong. Middleton Place is my favorite plantation to visit, but the Inn just didn't appeal to my sense of aesthetic. We had an early flight and were unable to eat the breakfast, so I can't speak to that aspect of the Inn.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

My wife and I were looking for a quiet getaway to destress, unwind, and celebrate our 3rd anniversary. We were certainly not disappointed in the Inn at Middleton Place; it was exactly what the doctor ordered! The Inn is by no means the Ritz Carlton, but that's what makes it so unique. The Inn is designed to peacefully coexist with nature, not to disrupt it for the sake of convenience. I'll admit that the look of the buildings takes some getting used to - as many have already said, they kind of resemble something you might find at summer camp. Having said that, however, the rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet. This is the ultimate place to leave the cares of the world behind! And since the admission to the Gardens (which are spectacular!!) is already included in the room price - along with admission to the house museum as well as breakfast - it's really a great value.

Again - if you're looking for something akin to the Marriott or the Hyatt, this place is not for you. There's no paved access to anything, so your car will get muddy if rains. The rooms DO smell like a fireplace (my wife loved that, by the way!), and there are no elevators. But what you get is a comfy, rustic room in a gorgeous and peaceful setting. It's truly a unique experience.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room in the main building, which is easier to access and has better views.
3  Thank ktvermilyea
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the inn. Our room was spacious and the ambiance was peaceful and relaxing. The pool and chairs overlooking the river were inviting when we arrived. We especially enjoyed the after closing hours experience in the plantation gardens. Early morning the alligators were basking in the sun. We flew home after our stay and it was a luxurious last night of our trip after touring the low country area. We recommend a stay.

1  Thank RAF077