“Heavenly sights with a greedy staff”

Inn at Middleton Place
Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Heavenly sights with a greedy staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

We stayed here on our honeymoon for 5 days and four nights after a hectic wedding, and wow, what peace! The room overlooked the Ashley River and there were two little squirrels that played in front of our room every morning and all day. We named them Molly and Cocoa after our dogs that we were severely missing. lol The view was amazing, the hammock was outstanding, and the service was impeccable.

MONDAY
We got in around 8:00pm Monday night. Unfortunately, their restaurant is closed on Mondays and we were very disappointed after traveling to have to leave property for dinner. The front desk tells you that they have a limited menu upon check in at the lodge for dinner. I wouldn't call the bartender telling us he could scrape two chicken parmesan dinners together out of the little he has left a "limited menu." No thanks! We then drove back into Charleston to eat dinner at Hyman's Seafood. Great place for seafood! I highly recommend the bloody mary's and the scored crispy flounder! Amazing!

TUESDAY
We slept in today, but made it to the gardens to walk around and had lunch at the Middleton Restaurant. We were saddened to find the great 500 year old oak to be split in two with no warning or anyone to even offer an explanation. We also were upset to see that one of the two swans in the reflection pool had been eaten by an alligator while nesting. She couldn't fly away because her wings had been clipped by the staff. How aweful! Then, we went down to sign up for a horse and carriage ride, and were informed by the staff that the they might be able to squeeze us in the last tour but that it would be a tight fit! We did explain that we were there on our honeymoon, and staying on property for 5 days, and that it would be so special if they could arrange a carriage ride just for us. The regular price for a 30 minute horse and carriage ride is $15. She handed me a piece of paper with the price of $300 for a private tour. We were horrified!! Are you kidding me??? We are already paying to stay there for the entire week. It appears that this place and it's staff only view you as a wallet! They won't go above and beyond regardless of the cause! We were informed that the earlier tours are the ones that are less full. We intended to come back early the next day.

The food for lunch was pretty good! Ken had the BBQ and I had the Catfish. Both were good and the torte for desert was to die for!

We also took a house tour and that was quite lovely! The lady was very nice and quite knowledgeable about the dwellers of Middleton Place!

For dinner, we chanced trying to eat at Jestine's Kitchen in Charleston. Do not go to Jestine's on Monday or after 9:30. We were there at 9:35 and people were seated looking at menus and they refused to seat us and said they were closed!!

WEDNESDAY
We woke up in plenty of time to go to breakfast this morning. We were very disappointed at what was provided! They sausage and bacon seemed to have been pre-cooked with a spongy typed texture! The quiche was really dry and strange tasting. The scrambled eggs also were not real and were not fully cooked. Not a pleasant experience!

We left breakfast at 9:15 in order to take the 10:00 am horse and carriage ride to find out that the staff lied to us and that the 10am ride was completely full! We had to sit and wait for the 10:30 which put off our schedule for the horseback trail rides. We did enjoy the horses May and June and our driver (female) was quite knowledgeable but forgot to point out the bald eagle's nest. We did give her a tip because she said she would use it to get treats for the horses. The tour let out by the big house so we hurried to the stables for our trail ride.

Unfortunately, because we were late, we wound up getting a horse that we were told had an attitude problem. It's name was Brownie. Upon trying to get on the horse, it bucked me off. I wound up twisting my knee, was thrown around and wound up on the ground under his hoofs and almost got trampled. At that, we got up said, "no thank you," got our money back and left. I had blood dripping down my leg and dirt all over the lower half of my body. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE TRAIL RIDES! What a horrible experience and a waste of time!

After the trail riding experience, we decided to pass on going swimming because I was so sore and took a nap, watching the squirrels play! That was very relaxing. We also ran into our maid and she was very sweet!

After our naps, we lazily decided to go to our first wine and cheese reception. This was very fun, until these two very inconsiderate parents brought their bratty sons to terrorize us while we sat playing a game of Monopoly! The free food was plentiful and the free wine/beer was lovely. We did enjoy that and the time to sit and play a game until these people came and ruined the atmosphere. PLEASE DO NOT BRING YOUR LITTLE KIDS TO STAY AT MIDDLETON PLACE. MOST OF US ARE ADULTS AND DON'T WISH TO HEAR YOUR KIDS WHINE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW THEY ARE BORED!! THIS PLACE IS NOT AN AMUSEMENT PARK!!

Dinner was at Bocci's Italian Restaurant in Charleston. Do not go to Bocci's. Please see my review on this restaurant.

THURSDAY
Breakfast will be at the lake house again. I hope it's better!

Today, we will be kayaking through the Ashley River on a tandom boat. I hope this is an enjoyable experience!!

Also, the African American tour will be today.

WE will also be going down to the swimming pool to relax hopefully!

Dinner tonight will be Roberts of Charleston. I hear this place is amazing! Please see my review.

FRIDAY
Today, we check out and go back to Hilton Head. Please visit Middleton Place, but heed my warnings about the few things that I mentioned!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2009

Our wedding was held at Middleton Place. Most of our family and friends stayed at the Inn at Middleton Place. The staff was gracious and extremely helpful. I have never seen such an amazing property in all my travels like I have at The Inn at Middleton Place.

• Stayed April 2009
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2009

This is much more than an "Inn". The room we stayed in had a beautiful view of the Ashley River and the woods surrounding us. The architecture is very modern, with a lots of wood. It was a work of art. The room was very spacious and was full of light. Just outside the room is a path which takes you along the river to the gardens and the remains of the plantation. The cost of the room includes a delicious breakfast in the beautiful lake lodge with a view of a pond and, even better, free admission to the plantation grounds, house museum and stableyards. And, better yet, we basically had the gardens to ourselves in the evening and early morning hours.

Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

I love this place. At first glance it seems expensive but for your money you get a full breakfast, wine and snacks in the afternoon and entrance to Middleton Plantation which for us was a savings of $70. It was also a joy to be able to go into the gardens after they closed to the public - just us and the alligators. The rooms are lovely and comfortable and provided with free snacks. I spent an hour just dozing in one of the hammocks. Next time we will spend more nights.

South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

The Inn at Middleton Place offers its guests a secluded yet adventerous weekend. This is a wonderful place to spend a weekend if you are desiring some alone time with that special someone. My husband and I just celebrated our 20th wedding aniversary at the Inn at Middleton Place. The staff was very helpful in helping me to make all the arrangements in advance. We kayaked down the Ashley River, bicycled through nature trials, walked the gardens of Middleton Place, and took a horse drawn carriage ride on which we received a wonderful history lesson of the South. We ate a delectable lunch of chicken salad with peacans from the garden shop and then had a very romantic dinner at the Middleton Place restaurant. Sunday morning we awoke early and went outside to lay on a hammock from which we could look out over the Ashley River. We then were provided a complimentary breakfast buffett that included the best shrimp and grits that I have ever eaten. Make sure that you schedule all of the events that you would like to participate in ahead of time. Unfortunately, my husband and I were not able to experience all that Middleton Place had to offer so we will definitely be going back next year for our 21st anniversary.

South Portland Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

I had to talk my husband into staying at the inn on our short mini-honeymoon. He wanted to stay downtown and I wanted to experience what had been billed as a nature friendly inn. It was raining when we arrived and never stopped - so we were unable to enjoy the grounds or any of the activities. When we arrived, we were told our room was not ready, but we checked in and were told to stroll the grounds and they would ring us. They never did. We finally checked back in and were told that yes, we could come and get our room key. We arrived, picked up the key and drove to our second floor room. In the pouring rain we gathered all our luggage and walked up the outside stairs. But the key did not fit!! After numerous attempts we called the front desk. The man at the desk *LeTroy I think* told us that no, we had the wrong room - we told him that all our registration info said the room number. He curtly told us we were wrong. Back to the front gate we drove - after some pressing he agreed we were correct and that there was a maintenance problem with our intended room - again after pressing, we found that the roof was leaking. We were given a new assignment on the ground floor. Our "river view" was of a grass quad area with a walking path right in front of our windows. On opening the door, the room smelled musty and mildewy. It was dank, cold and unwelcoming. We again drove back and pleaded that it was our last night of our honeymoon - couldn't we have another room? Due to a wedding that weekend, we were told that they were all booked. The entire stay would have been horrible had it not been for the restaurant. We had a FABULOUS waiter - he made excellent entree suggestions and was extremely cordial - a far cry from our check-in clerk. He also upon hearing that we were honeymooners, brought us a special dessert not on the menu, but his personal favorite. The inn needs to update their accomodations and their customer service. The other inns we had stayed at - went out of their way to make us feel at home, from the greeting to welcoming gifts in our rooms. Not so at the Inn at Middleton. A very disappointing stay given the lobbying I had done to convince my husband to give it a try.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MaineSpinner
Innkeeper/MI, Manager at Inn at Middleton Place, responded to this review, 5 May 2009
I am very disappointed to hear of this experience. As this guest stayed in October 2008, I can say however that we have undergone a large amount of exterior and interior renovations to help address some normal aging and environment factors since then. The understated elegance of the interiors invite you to broaden your senses and envelope the outdoors, all while looking through your wall of windows. Management was not able to address any of these guest’s opinions, as they were not made aware to us while they were here, and for that I am very sorry. Room rates include admission to Middleton Place National Landmark ($70 value per couple), a full breakfast and an evening reception. This is arguable the best package deal you can get in Charleston. If anyone has any questions on this review, or any others, please feel free to contact me or a member of the staff directly. Best Regards, Abigail Martin.
north carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2009

This was our fourth stay at the Inn. Over the years the care of the Inn itself has been ignored (at least by its appearance). The room was cold when we entered, the inside shutters covering the windows were either rusty or broken, and the bed linens were worn. The TV is tiny and only gets 5 channels. The fridge, which used to be stocked with goodies had two bottles of water, and the basket of "treats" did have 2 cookies and some sun chips... and the shampoo/conditioner was dispensed from a plastic wall dispenser. It is such a shame that the conditions of the rooms have begun to slide.
On the good side, the complimentary wine at the lodge was good even if the food was not. The people who sat aroound seemed to be enjoying the comfort of the lodge, as did we... just don't buy any of the food. All food- even at the restaurant on the Plantation grounds are closed at 8PM, so eat early or plan to drive somewhere.
But best of all were the grounds themselves. The grounds of the Inn and Middleton Place are beautiful. There are walks, bike rentals, and a path to the plantation(which is free to Inn guests) along the river. The alligaters were around, to the thrill of the children and the azaleas were breathtaking.
So, pack some food to put int he fridge, enjoy the lodge andthe grounds, and think rustic. For a room that is Not Cheap, I hope the Inn gets the attention it deserves.

• Stayed April 2009