“Valentine's Weekend - Ruined”
Review of Country Victorian

Country Victorian
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
Country Victorian
Ranked #25 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 March 2008

When you look on the internet, you see a decent looking house with many listed ammenities and free parking. Now, let me tell you what you really get: a stay in the slave quarters which is heated by a small gas heater with the floors running downhill (you just think you're staying in a house), you get to park almost a mile away and walk through a bad section of town late at night, rules - rules - rules - no shoes, no sitting on the bed, no more than one shower per day, no more than one towel per stay, no lighting the heater, no food in the trash can, no leaving lamps on at night, no opening the windows, no slamming the doors...and that is just the start, the list goes on. What are we children?

There are notes on everything, even the toilet! "Don't flush too much and stop it up." I just wanted to leave. But what can you do when you have paid a month in advance? I should have caught on when the innkeeper demanded the check in advance, and refused to send a picture of the room (which turned out to be a building attached to the back of the house.)

Plan to take extra money if you like to eat breakfast. The food was disgusting, it even looked disgusting. I tried to be nice and eat it, but I just couldn't. I'm not finiky, but I have to draw the line. The innkeeper sat right next to me during breakfast and questioned me (like a Grandmother) as to why I didn't eat each individual item. I just tried to be nice and say I wasn't hungry.

The nerve! She scolded my husband for sitting his coffee on the placemat instead of the coster in front of all the other guests at breakfast. He is 40 years old!

Now, you won't believe this. We stayed at the "inn" Valentine's weekend of 2008. While we were out during the day, she came up to our room and turned the very small gas heater off. It was soo cold outside. (We were told to never touch the heater as soon as we arrived.) When we came back to the room it was soo cold. We decided to rough it because we did not want to call her. We were in bed, late at night and she came walking in to our room and said she came to turn the heat on and she was soo sorry she had turned it off while we were out. Can you imagine????? Valentine's night with your husband and someone comes walking in to your $250.00 dollar per night room?????

I actually did read the reviews on this place before we came. Two were bad and one was excellent. I gave the inn the benefit of a doubt and went anyway (it was the only place available that weekend and now I see why). Take my advice, don't waste your money. It's not even worth $20.00 per night. I wish I had listened to the reviews. The two bad ones were right on. There are rules posted on every inch of the "building" you will be staying in, there is NO free parking, the food is horrible, you will feel uncomfortable, your every move will be watched.

But look on the bright side, you can get free visitors in the middle of the night, be taught etiquette in front of all the guests, get told you have a list of duties to complete (if you stay in the slave quarters - no I am not kidding), a free baggage check for you and your guest, free M&Ms from 1982, be placed on a diet, and over charged all at the same place!

Anyone can contact me for more information. I would hate to see anyone else ruin a perfectly nice weekend with a significant other. Money can be replaced, but our first Valentine's weekend together cannot.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FireChief701

Reviewed 2 December 2007

We have to agree with everything "Don't Stay at this B&B" wrote. Upon arriving and hearing Diane list her rules we were ready to go looking for a new place to stay. Unfortunately, we had already sent a check and decided to stick it out. Even though Diane sat with us while we ate breakfast on Friday a.m. she failed to mention that we needed a parking permit (she had assured us the night before when we checked in that "anywhere along Tradd Street was just fine"). As a result, we received a parking ticket for $25 that we didn't discover until we got to the airport as it was tucked in the windshield. We sent the ticket to Diane and she promptly mailed it back to us with a copy of a form the we supposedly read and signed. We feel that any responsible, caring b&b owner would have cautioned us regarding parking restrictions and not expected us to read the "fine print". After all, this is supposed to be a warm and welcoming experience not a test of our reading skills!
We won't bore you with anymore details, just suffice it to say, you have been warned!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank peacenowMichigan
Reviewed 25 November 2007

The owner of this B&B is a former school teacher and staying here is like staying at the Adams Family Boarding House. There are rules upon rules, not shoes or barefeet, notes all over the room and bathroom letting you know exactly how Diane expects you to do everything. Breakfast is a joke with portions that wouldn't due for a child, served on tiny plates. The 2nd morning we were given homemade Egg McMuffins, with a piece of sausage the size of a quarter. So much for a real Southern breakfast to begin your day. Breakfast is only served between
9-10 to fit into Diane's schedule. The room is so cluttered with hangars all over the walls and clutter everywhere else. The house is an eye sore for Tradd Street which is known to be the best street in Charleston. Diane is high strung and gets rattled if you don't do things the way instructed. There are even rules for the towels and how to conserve washing powder. She does not exude Southern hospitality at all. She doesn't even try as she's not from Charleston or SC. It was a horrible stay.

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank beresheet
Reviewed 2 October 2007

we read all reviews before we came to Charleston and after this our expectations were very low. We even thought of cancel the accomodation. But luckily we didn´t. Diane the Housekeeper is a very nice and charming Lady and prepared us a lovely long weekend in Charleston. Yes, there are some advises to follow, but first she was a teacher and second this is an old historic building and to maintain it its not easy at all.
We only can recommend this place, its located right in the middle of the historic district, it has a special interior and the price is right as well.

And..the breakfast was delicious too....

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2007

We decided to celebrate our anniversary at a B&B in Charleston, SC. We checked out many places and decided on Country Victorian Bed and Breakfast on Tradd Street. It had a great location and the price was right. (Many places we called were over $200 a night and only offered a continental breakfast (coffee & a pastry). The moment we arrived and saw this beautiful Victorian home, met Diane, and saw our room with a plate of cookies waiting for us, we knew we had chosen the right place.
Our room, with a king-sized bed, was an antique lover’s delight! It took me back to days at my grandmother’s house making me feel very comfortable and right at home. Diane’s attention to detail was noticeable everywhere in the room. She had everything from shampoo and a blow dryer, ironing board and iron to menus, brochures, maps, walking tour books, coffee/tea fixings, and even games and magazines for us.
Diane’s knowledge of Charleston was invaluable. All her suggestions on where to dine, what to do, and what to see were right on target! In fact, if it wasn’t for all her knowledge in matching activities to our interests I’m sure we wouldn’t have enjoyed all that Charleston had to offer as much.
I can’t forget to mention our breakfasts that were served to us each morning outside on the piazza (porch). It was a real treat to be served breakfast outside while watching people walk by and hearing the “clip-clop” sound of the horses as they pulled the carriages and related the tales of history to the occupants. On Sunday we listened to the church bells ringing their special chimes. Our breakfasts were wonderful – not only delicious, but Diane’s creative presentation was always an added surprise. Visiting with Diane and the other guests at breakfast was the perfect way to start each day.
A snack basket each afternoon, filled with all kinds of goodies, was another unexpected treat at this B&B. One afternoon, our treat was a miniature anniversary cake. How thoughtful!!!
I can say that we have never spent a more delightful five days at a B&B and we have stayed at many B&Bs all over the US and Europe. It was truly a home away from home with Southern hospitality at it’s finest. We will surely return!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Toothbrush
Reviewed 11 June 2007

In our opinion, this place was terrible! We can't agree more with the other reviews. If we had known about this website before we went, we would never had stayed here. If this was our first Bed and Bedbreakfast, it would have been our last! We would not come back to this place ever, even for free.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank BaltimoreQueenee
A TripAdvisor Member
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 21 May 2006

For starters, read reviews from Durham and New Orleans. We agree with everything stated except that the house was NOT lovely. We thought we had arrived at the home of the Adams Family set back off of the street with a sparse yard and peeling paint that definitely was not shabby chic. When we arrived and saw it we wanted to turn the car around and drive back home. We had paid in advance by check (which was cashed), were attending a wedding, Charleston was booked up on Mother's Day, so there were no refunds and no turning back. We had to make an appointment to check in as the innkeeper had errands to run and might not be available to let us into our pricey 'King' room (King, incidentally, is two twin beds with headboards of differings heights pushed together. The Innkeeper was not necessarily rude but the exhausting set of rules - no shoes, etc. - was astonishing. We expected to be pampered; this was not summer camp. We opened the windows to relieve the musty smell (we were only supposed to open to a certain height) and we failed to read the note that charged us to close the windows if we left. Presumably this was to keep the roach from escaping that crawled onto my wife's face that night that I chased under the baseboard. We were gone an hour to the wedding and the innkeeper had been in our room to shut the windows. The room has an intercom with a note instructing to not turn it off as "she needs it too"...made me wonder if it stayed open and she was listening in. I even found myself whispering part of the time. Most curious was a journal on the night stand with entries from supposed past guests lauding the inn and their stay. Made us wonder who wrote those entries. Parking is a problem everywhere in Charleston but there was no advance guidance and we had to rely on a friendly neighbor for help as to where to park on the street without being towed.
This is review is not personal toward the innkeeper as she attempted to be amiable with us but, simply put, we would definitely recommend that you avoid this B&B unless the innkeeper chooses to change her approach to hospitality and lowers her overpriced rates.

• Stayed: May 2006