“Diane's CV B&B is well located, quaint, comfortable and Diane is a great host...”
Review of Country Victorian

Country Victorian
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
Country Victorian
Ranked #26 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
Brantley, AL
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We found Country Victorian on the internet… and pleased that we did…
After traveling eight hours to reach Charleston from Birmingham, AL… we met our host, Diane Weed (who has lived here for 28 years in this home built in 1820), who provided us much more info about Charleston and helpful hints… After our talks, she recommended Poogan’s Porch, had already made a reservations for us, an easy walk to the corner of Queen and King Streets… and we thoroughly enjoyed the salad, crab cakes and shrimp and grits, plus the intimate, romantic, small restaurant… Try it, you’ll like it; we did!!!… Next morn, we were up and ready for breakfast w/ Diane, an entertaining one and chefy… You had to be there… We conversed more on Charleston and Diane’s life (in the military and living around the World) and departed for a day in Charleston… Friday morn, we’re up and out to met Diane w/ breakfast on her “piazza”… Entertaining again… Diane is truly creative!… Come to think of it, Diane’s breakfast parfait, like Charleston, is delightful!!! We highly recommend her B&B for the comfortable suite, quite street, great location (south of Broad), antique collections, quaintness, entertaining gourmet breakfast and Diane’s personal interest in her guests; you’re all hers while you’re guesting…

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Brockton
Reviewed 12 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. I had heard so much about Charleston and was so looking forward to a wonderful time. Diane doesn't seem to enjoy what she does. There were rules for everything and I never felt comfortable. The bed was full size and too small for us. She made it very clear that there were boundaries and not to go beyond them. The location is fabulous, but I would never recommend this place to anyone. I regret that there were so many good reviews when I was looking for a place. I don't understand why some people felt so pleased about their visit. I have only been to three bed and breakfast places and the other two were fantastic.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosannadana

Travellers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Ft. Myers, FL
Reviewed 11 April 2008

What a treat to stay in a true bed and breakfast in a private home right in the heart of the historic district!

Diane has thought of everything to make a guest’s stay comfortable. Our room was attractively decorated with antiques, and most importantly, our bed was very comfortable. Breakfasts were a wonderful surprise each morning---always delicious and filling with a creative touch. Diane provides so many extras and does so much for her guests that you know she cares and enjoys what she does.

We highly recommend this B&B and plan to return.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank fmbnick
Honea Path, SC
Reviewed 19 March 2008

When you look on the internet, you see a decent looking house with many listed ammenities and free parking. Now, let me tell you what you really get: a stay in the slave quarters which is heated by a small gas heater with the floors running downhill (you just think you're staying in a house), you get to park almost a mile away and walk through a bad section of town late at night, rules - rules - rules - no shoes, no sitting on the bed, no more than one shower per day, no more than one towel per stay, no lighting the heater, no food in the trash can, no leaving lamps on at night, no opening the windows, no slamming the doors...and that is just the start, the list goes on. What are we children?

There are notes on everything, even the toilet! "Don't flush too much and stop it up." I just wanted to leave. But what can you do when you have paid a month in advance? I should have caught on when the innkeeper demanded the check in advance, and refused to send a picture of the room (which turned out to be a building attached to the back of the house.)

Plan to take extra money if you like to eat breakfast. The food was disgusting, it even looked disgusting. I tried to be nice and eat it, but I just couldn't. I'm not finiky, but I have to draw the line. The innkeeper sat right next to me during breakfast and questioned me (like a Grandmother) as to why I didn't eat each individual item. I just tried to be nice and say I wasn't hungry.

The nerve! She scolded my husband for sitting his coffee on the placemat instead of the coster in front of all the other guests at breakfast. He is 40 years old!

Now, you won't believe this. We stayed at the "inn" Valentine's weekend of 2008. While we were out during the day, she came up to our room and turned the very small gas heater off. It was soo cold outside. (We were told to never touch the heater as soon as we arrived.) When we came back to the room it was soo cold. We decided to rough it because we did not want to call her. We were in bed, late at night and she came walking in to our room and said she came to turn the heat on and she was soo sorry she had turned it off while we were out. Can you imagine????? Valentine's night with your husband and someone comes walking in to your $250.00 dollar per night room?????

I actually did read the reviews on this place before we came. Two were bad and one was excellent. I gave the inn the benefit of a doubt and went anyway (it was the only place available that weekend and now I see why). Take my advice, don't waste your money. It's not even worth $20.00 per night. I wish I had listened to the reviews. The two bad ones were right on. There are rules posted on every inch of the "building" you will be staying in, there is NO free parking, the food is horrible, you will feel uncomfortable, your every move will be watched.

But look on the bright side, you can get free visitors in the middle of the night, be taught etiquette in front of all the guests, get told you have a list of duties to complete (if you stay in the slave quarters - no I am not kidding), a free baggage check for you and your guest, free M&Ms from 1982, be placed on a diet, and over charged all at the same place!

Anyone can contact me for more information. I would hate to see anyone else ruin a perfectly nice weekend with a significant other. Money can be replaced, but our first Valentine's weekend together cannot.

• Liked — Leaving the house
  • Disliked — The visitor in the middle of the night
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank FireChief701
michigan
Reviewed 2 December 2007

We have to agree with everything "Don't Stay at this B&B" wrote. Upon arriving and hearing Diane list her rules we were ready to go looking for a new place to stay. Unfortunately, we had already sent a check and decided to stick it out. Even though Diane sat with us while we ate breakfast on Friday a.m. she failed to mention that we needed a parking permit (she had assured us the night before when we checked in that "anywhere along Tradd Street was just fine"). As a result, we received a parking ticket for $25 that we didn't discover until we got to the airport as it was tucked in the windshield. We sent the ticket to Diane and she promptly mailed it back to us with a copy of a form the we supposedly read and signed. We feel that any responsible, caring b&b owner would have cautioned us regarding parking restrictions and not expected us to read the "fine print". After all, this is supposed to be a warm and welcoming experience not a test of our reading skills!
We won't bore you with anymore details, just suffice it to say, you have been warned!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Treatment by the innkeeper
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peacenowMichigan
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed 25 November 2007

The owner of this B&B is a former school teacher and staying here is like staying at the Adams Family Boarding House. There are rules upon rules, not shoes or barefeet, notes all over the room and bathroom letting you know exactly how Diane expects you to do everything. Breakfast is a joke with portions that wouldn't due for a child, served on tiny plates. The 2nd morning we were given homemade Egg McMuffins, with a piece of sausage the size of a quarter. So much for a real Southern breakfast to begin your day. Breakfast is only served between
9-10 to fit into Diane's schedule. The room is so cluttered with hangars all over the walls and clutter everywhere else. The house is an eye sore for Tradd Street which is known to be the best street in Charleston. Diane is high strung and gets rattled if you don't do things the way instructed. There are even rules for the towels and how to conserve washing powder. She does not exude Southern hospitality at all. She doesn't even try as she's not from Charleston or SC. It was a horrible stay.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank beresheet
New York
Reviewed 2 October 2007

we read all reviews before we came to Charleston and after this our expectations were very low. We even thought of cancel the accomodation. But luckily we didn´t. Diane the Housekeeper is a very nice and charming Lady and prepared us a lovely long weekend in Charleston. Yes, there are some advises to follow, but first she was a teacher and second this is an old historic building and to maintain it its not easy at all.
We only can recommend this place, its located right in the middle of the historic district, it has a special interior and the price is right as well.

And..the breakfast was delicious too....

• Liked — housekeeper and location
  • Disliked — some rules applied
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)