“Travelers Beware - Have an informed decision”
Review of Country Victorian

Country Victorian
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
Country Victorian
Ranked #28 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
Illinois
“Travelers Beware - Have an informed decision”
Reviewed 1 February 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at this B&B. Unfortuantely this is not going to be a good review!! From the very beginning of the process there were issues. First of all upon booking we should have been clued in by the the fact that the proprietor demanded cash!!!! It cost $336 which was not easily obtained at a moments notice. No Credit Cards!!! No receipt for the payment!!. Upon arrival we were "instructed" to remove our shoes when entering the premises (old braided and ratty rugs on floor..??). This included the room as well as the dinning room.(It was really cold during this stay..so our feet were freezing)!! Upon entering our room we found notes everywhere such as "Pillow shams are decorative don't lay on them." We are mature, professional, adults and were much insulted by some of the ridiculous notes!! There was a space heater to provide heat, which was totally inadequate for the space!! We were soooooo cold all the time!!. In the evening before going to dinner we requested that the heat be turned up. It was colder in the room the next morning, probably around 55 degrees!! Parking.....we asked if we could park our car in her 200 + foot long driveway. The streets were very narrow and we were fearful for our auto. She denied our request, then reluctantly gave in and let us park there after 11:00. The whole house was closed off...the only space we had to use was a tiny breakfast room.There was no sitting area as we have experienced in all of the other B&B's we have stayed in. Oour friends we were visiting (who enjoy B&B's like we do), wanted to see our accomodations...we told them there was no where to sit and enjoy a glass of wine together... Not only were the sheets not changed the bed was not made between nights. We used up all the coffee, and it was not replaced for the next morning!! We requested an early departure breakfast of 8:30 and were told that it could not be accomodated. Breakfast was sparse and simple!!!. The TV is tiny and VERY outdated..with a VERY small and uncomfortable wicker loveseat...lucky to get a couple of channels!! We have stayed at many bed and breakfasts all over the US and this is by far the worst experience we have ever had. We felt like we were a huge INCONVENIENCE to the owner!! Iit was all about what is convenient for HER!! She should not be in the Hospitality/ service industry!! We both own our own businesses, and know about customer seervice!! We felt like all she wanted was our money up front, and once she got that...she could have cared less about us!!! Highly NOT RECOMMENDED.!!!! BE FOREWARNED!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sugarbasil

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Do not pay for this B&B up front! We paid for 3 days' accommodations and then couldn't leave because it would have been a huge waste of money. This place is not cheap! What didn't we like? The quick list: Dusty rooms, chipped paint, weak water flow in toilet (there was trouble), no walking in shoes, no baby powder, no putting coffee cup on placemat, no hair dryer or curler except in bathroom, no opening windows, no lifting blinds, no sitting on quilted bedspread, single, short bed given (knowingly) to 6'2" man, walking past a large room of utter junk to get to our room, antique coat hangers for wall decorations, malfunctioning window box air conditioner, no outside light allowed on while you're out, breakfast was cold and small, and parking was not as easily available as advertised. Oh, Buyer, Beware!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank PattyPittsburgh

Travellers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Lancaster, PA
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Great downtown location - five to ten minute walk to the market area, waterfront and literally hundreds of restaurants. Book the suite - two bedrooms and a sitting room. It is well worth the money. If you do not want to go to the beach or attractions further out you can go without moving your car your whole stay. Breakfasts on the piazza were tasty and filling and it was fun watching the carriage tours go by. Diane was a wealth of local information and guided us to great attractions for our son. Beds were very comfortable. Neighborhood was so quiet at night you fell asleep to the sound of croaking frogs. We would recommend Country Victorian for experienced B&B travelers, though. House is almost 200 years old (according to Diane) so it has its quirks and is full of antiques (and character) that set it apart from everyplace else. Fans of chain hotels will probably not enjoy its charms. However, we are looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Brantley, AL
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We found Country Victorian on the internet… and pleased that we did…
After traveling eight hours to reach Charleston from Birmingham, AL… we met our host, Diane Weed (who has lived here for 28 years in this home built in 1820), who provided us much more info about Charleston and helpful hints… After our talks, she recommended Poogan’s Porch, had already made a reservations for us, an easy walk to the corner of Queen and King Streets… and we thoroughly enjoyed the salad, crab cakes and shrimp and grits, plus the intimate, romantic, small restaurant… Try it, you’ll like it; we did!!!… Next morn, we were up and ready for breakfast w/ Diane, an entertaining one and chefy… You had to be there… We conversed more on Charleston and Diane’s life (in the military and living around the World) and departed for a day in Charleston… Friday morn, we’re up and out to met Diane w/ breakfast on her “piazza”… Entertaining again… Diane is truly creative!… Come to think of it, Diane’s breakfast parfait, like Charleston, is delightful!!! We highly recommend her B&B for the comfortable suite, quite street, great location (south of Broad), antique collections, quaintness, entertaining gourmet breakfast and Diane’s personal interest in her guests; you’re all hers while you’re guesting…

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Brockton
Reviewed 12 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. I had heard so much about Charleston and was so looking forward to a wonderful time. Diane doesn't seem to enjoy what she does. There were rules for everything and I never felt comfortable. The bed was full size and too small for us. She made it very clear that there were boundaries and not to go beyond them. The location is fabulous, but I would never recommend this place to anyone. I regret that there were so many good reviews when I was looking for a place. I don't understand why some people felt so pleased about their visit. I have only been to three bed and breakfast places and the other two were fantastic.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosannadana
Ft. Myers, FL
Reviewed 11 April 2008

What a treat to stay in a true bed and breakfast in a private home right in the heart of the historic district!

Diane has thought of everything to make a guest’s stay comfortable. Our room was attractively decorated with antiques, and most importantly, our bed was very comfortable. Breakfasts were a wonderful surprise each morning---always delicious and filling with a creative touch. Diane provides so many extras and does so much for her guests that you know she cares and enjoys what she does.

We highly recommend this B&B and plan to return.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank fmbnick
Honea Path, SC
Reviewed 19 March 2008

When you look on the internet, you see a decent looking house with many listed ammenities and free parking. Now, let me tell you what you really get: a stay in the slave quarters which is heated by a small gas heater with the floors running downhill (you just think you're staying in a house), you get to park almost a mile away and walk through a bad section of town late at night, rules - rules - rules - no shoes, no sitting on the bed, no more than one shower per day, no more than one towel per stay, no lighting the heater, no food in the trash can, no leaving lamps on at night, no opening the windows, no slamming the doors...and that is just the start, the list goes on. What are we children?

There are notes on everything, even the toilet! "Don't flush too much and stop it up." I just wanted to leave. But what can you do when you have paid a month in advance? I should have caught on when the innkeeper demanded the check in advance, and refused to send a picture of the room (which turned out to be a building attached to the back of the house.)

Plan to take extra money if you like to eat breakfast. The food was disgusting, it even looked disgusting. I tried to be nice and eat it, but I just couldn't. I'm not finiky, but I have to draw the line. The innkeeper sat right next to me during breakfast and questioned me (like a Grandmother) as to why I didn't eat each individual item. I just tried to be nice and say I wasn't hungry.

The nerve! She scolded my husband for sitting his coffee on the placemat instead of the coster in front of all the other guests at breakfast. He is 40 years old!

Now, you won't believe this. We stayed at the "inn" Valentine's weekend of 2008. While we were out during the day, she came up to our room and turned the very small gas heater off. It was soo cold outside. (We were told to never touch the heater as soon as we arrived.) When we came back to the room it was soo cold. We decided to rough it because we did not want to call her. We were in bed, late at night and she came walking in to our room and said she came to turn the heat on and she was soo sorry she had turned it off while we were out. Can you imagine????? Valentine's night with your husband and someone comes walking in to your $250.00 dollar per night room?????

I actually did read the reviews on this place before we came. Two were bad and one was excellent. I gave the inn the benefit of a doubt and went anyway (it was the only place available that weekend and now I see why). Take my advice, don't waste your money. It's not even worth $20.00 per night. I wish I had listened to the reviews. The two bad ones were right on. There are rules posted on every inch of the "building" you will be staying in, there is NO free parking, the food is horrible, you will feel uncomfortable, your every move will be watched.

But look on the bright side, you can get free visitors in the middle of the night, be taught etiquette in front of all the guests, get told you have a list of duties to complete (if you stay in the slave quarters - no I am not kidding), a free baggage check for you and your guest, free M&Ms from 1982, be placed on a diet, and over charged all at the same place!

Anyone can contact me for more information. I would hate to see anyone else ruin a perfectly nice weekend with a significant other. Money can be replaced, but our first Valentine's weekend together cannot.

• Liked — Leaving the house
  • Disliked — The visitor in the middle of the night
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank FireChief701