“Could use a few more chairs” 3 of 5 bubbles

Charleston Beer Works
Ranked #261 of 898 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Northbrook, Illinois
“Could use a few more chairs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I visited Charleston Beer Works the first night of the NFL 2014 Draft which was also the night of one of the Bruins' playoff series games. It attracted a TON of Boston fans so if you were cheering for the Habs or just wanted to see Boston lose, CBW was not your bar. They also had no sound on the draft, only the hockey game, which I thought was too bad. The place was packed and seemed to attract a crowd in their late twenties to early thirties, they had a nice draft selection and the staff was working very hard to keep up with everyone. There was lots of standing, leaning against tables, but for the most part I enjoyed the few hours I spent there.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Charleston, South Carolina
“Cold Beer but Tiny Sides”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stopped by for the lunch special, order a "craft" beer and get half off the burger of the month. Unlike most places, burgers here don't come with fries or anything else. I ordered a salad side which was served with the burger in one of those tiny cups often used for coleslaw, not worth paying extra.

Service was slow both in time it took to be waited on and to produce the food. I was not offered condiments and gave up trying to get any. On the plus side, they had cloth napkins, but black.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Charleston, South Carolina
“No thanks.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Typical nasty college bar with poor service. Food is laughable and they are out of half the beers on tap. No point in going here. Grungy.

Visited June 2013
Charleston B, General Manager at Charleston Beer Works, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
We appreciate your feedback, Ashton. We also noticed that the last time you visited us was June of last year. We encourage you to come back and give us a try. We think you'll find that our food is actually quite a bit more than typical bar food - local produce, house-ground beef provided by local farmers, seasonal ingredients, etc.

We always appreciate hearing about our guests' experiences, and I welcome you to call me at (843) 577-5885 to chat about your visit with us in more detail.

Best,
Matt Hensley, General Manager
Leesville, South Carolina
“not the greatest last minute service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

went in for a snack and beer, Dec 26, 2013, but they were going to close I think because it was a ghost town in there. We couldn't get any food and they really wanted us to go away. Drank one and left. I guess they close early?

Visited December 2013
Kalispell, Montana
“Your Typical College Bar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I give this place an average rating because it was stolidly average. I have to say that maybe on a normal night it would have gotten a higher rating but I was there on a Monday Night Football night when Carolina was playing so the place was packed and no wait staff showed up for their shifts. This meant that the two bartenders were trying to handle the bar and food orders until they could get some additional help to come in to assist. This meant that we had to wait longer than normal to place our order, get our food and our bill. I was watching the game so I didn't mind't mind too much but it did finally get annoying when we were getting hungry and there was no on e to take our order. But hey, it's a bar so no one really expect much! The food was average bar food and the beer selection was nothing special.

• Visited November 2013