“Nothing to Write Home About”
Review of Lemon Grove Grill - CLOSED

Lemon Grove Grill
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Charleston, South Carolina
“Nothing to Write Home About”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I live within two miles of this establishment and had passed it several times; always curious about it. Finally tried it out. We got there right as they opened and were the only customers there until right before we left. The food was okay. My mussels were a little salty but otherwise a good broth. My boyfriends pasta dish was a bit underwhelming. Not bad by any means but for the price we were expecting something a little more spectacular.

• Visited May 2013

Flowery Branch, Georgia
“A nice, quiet place to eat in peace!”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

After battling the hordes on Folly Beach and in Charleston, my husband suggested this place.
We drove off Folly Beach and headed right on Fort Johnson and there it finally was..The place has a bar and seating that is not to close together inside and also outside seating..My stuffed eggplant was find and my husband enjoyed his steak and potatoes..We also enjoyed our pre-dinner pita with dipping oil..This was complimentary..Afterwords we shared baclava with ice-cream on top! Plenty for 2 people. This place was such a island of calm and relaxation after a week of slogging on and off the beach and thru Charleston and plantations! Oddly, there were no children there at all..The really don't cater their food for them so something to thinks about..Would go back again..Also, the people at table next door loved their lamb so will try next this dish next time.

• Visited August 2013
Seven Hills, Ohio
“Great Mediterranean Food”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

If your looking for something different near Folly Beach this is the place to go. We were tired of waiting in long lines down in Charleston or eating seafood on Folly. There was something for everyone in my family. I had the beet salad that was different greens with pickled beets and dressed perfectly with a vinaigrette that had a hint of raspberry in it. Then the lamb chops were melt in your mouth good. We were all tasting each others meals, The squash ravioli was tender and tasted wonderful as was the avocado ravioli. We also ordered the cucumber with dill soup, glad that we all had a taste of that it was a little too rich for me also could have saved getting the soup as you get the same dill /cucumber soup as a dip with the lamb chops. Everyone cleaned their plates! The waitress was very attentive to all out needs. Will be coming back when we visit Folly Beach.

• Visited July 2013
Charleston, SC
“Could be great”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

This restaurant is off the beaten path, down Fort Johnson Road next to James Island Charter High School. It was not at all busy on a Monday night. The parking lot is deep gravel, not nice to drive on. The interior is sleek and plain but could do with some draperies to soften it up a bit and buffer the echo level. Unfortunately upon entering you are hit with an acrid mold smell, much like you get in older buildings.

Service was attentive and friendly and the owner not only handled the cooking but walked around talking with diners. I ordered the Stuffed Eggplant which was billed as a whole roasted eggplant. It was not whole but a half but was hard to tell as it was so overcooked as to hold no shape and be very, very soft. I would have expected a roasted vegetable to hold it's shape and be something to chew, not slurp. The beef stuffing was mixed with onions, tomatoes, and cubed something, not peppers as billed. The sun-dried infused orzo was also overcooked and had a strange hint of gummi bear as it approached your mouth and touched your tongue. I had my husband try it for his impression and he agreed about this faint hint of flavor. It did not put me off the dish but just made it not what I would have expected.

My husband had the Herb Roasted Chicken which was a leg/thigh quarter, served skinless. It was served with carrot slices and mashed potatoes. He polished it off so I assume it was okay. Prior to the main courses we were presented with buttery pita bread quarters served with a sun-dried tomato/basil infused olive oil which was quite good. We polished it off so quickly the waitess brought us another plate.

The owner is trying but missing the mark a bit. The location is also near the James Island Soccer fields so if you were here after a soccer game it would not be a bad place to eat. Other offerings sounded good so it is probably worth another try on our part.

• Visited November 2012
Washington
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We dined on just appetizers, and they were all fantastic! The food in general was delectable, and the owner came over and talked to us for a while. We had wanted the mussels appetizer, but they were out (two people who came before us got the last orders!). So he gave us grilled shrimp, and it was delicious!

The location for mainstream Charleston people may be a little out of the way, but it is worth the 20 minute drive there.

Don't miss it!