“A charming hotel for foodies”
Review of Zero George Street

Zero George Street
Ranked #3 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Charleston, South Carolina
“A charming hotel for foodies”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Not only is this the great hotel described by others, it offers something others don't: cooking classes that can be private or accommodate as many as eight wannabe chefs...and it's not classroom style! Chef Williams is happy to set the menu according to your food desires....and welcomes you to cook along side him in his amazing kitchen. His menu and lessons are designed so that you can easily "try this at home." Recommend you ask about this "amenity" when making your reservation!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Years ago I was in Charleston from less than 24 hours, and promised myself that one day I'd go back for a long weekend. That time finally came, and I wanted to stay in a hotel that captured the feel of the city. After reading a couple of articles in magazines about the Zero George, I decided it was the place. I definitely made the right choice.

The property itself is gorgeous --- a combination of several detached, restored structures near a main building with some beautiful interior rooms and huge covered porch. I admit I'm a bit of a decor snob, and these public spaces and the guest rooms have an upscale, residential feel that clearly show someone took the time to carefully select each item for the maximum effect. Our room was extremely comfortable and attractive, as was the bathroom. Service from Aaron and the entire staff was friendly and efficient, but never intrusive. The light breakfast offered was just enough to get the day going, and we enjoyed the evening wine offered. The location was slightly further out from the center of town than some others we considered, though not inconvenient.

I plan to return to Charleston sooner rather than later, and would have a hard time choosing another property over a return to Zero George.

Room Tip: There isn't an elevator, so those having a hard time with stairs should request a room down low...
1 Thank lagunadallas
New York, NY
Reviewed 19 May 2013

The Zero George Hotel is an exquisite property made up of four or five historic Charleston buildings that have been beautifully restored and tastefully decorated. The service is outstanding, the members of staff are passionate about this property and it clearly comes through. The only thing I would note is that it isn’t completely full-service (e.g. there is no pool, fitness center, business center, room service). But I understand that a bar and restaurant are scheduled to be opened soon. That being said, it is a real gem and you will feel like you are staying at someone’s beautiful home and you won’t want to leave! The location is away from the main tourist zone, which is nice because it is quiet and is an easy 10-15 min walk from anywhere you’d want to be in Charleston. We had a fantastic experience and definitely plan to return.

Solvang, California
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Sophisticated, charming and historic - Zero George was a magnificent introduction to Charleston for my first visit there. Think Four Seasons in a 200 year-old building. I LOVED my spacious, beautifully decorated room and could not have slept better. The staff was incredibly attentive. I felt like I knew them, and they knew me, by the time I checked out. One big issue, though, which is why I didn't rate Zero George as "excellent." The hotel is not only not ADA accessible, it doesn't have an elevator. While I understand the limitations in making historical buildings accessible, this should have been disclosed on the website or at the time of booking. My room was, in essence, a third floor walk-up. For travelers who don't have this as a concern, however, I highly recommend Zero George

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MNCalif
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Zero George is incredibly charming, cozy, luxurious, and has impressive attention to detail, but it was the hospitality and five star service we received that really set it apart from others. We stayed here for our wedding weekend and from the beginning were wowed by the staff. John, in particular, truly went above and beyond his call of duty. I can't say enough good things. The common areas are beautiful, the complimentary breakfast was amazing, and the rooms had every amenity needed. We didn't want to leave and will definitely be back. Thank you Zero George staff!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 May 2013

My wife and son and I recently stayed at Zero George and highly recommend it. The hotel itself is absolutely charming but the hospitality of the staff sets this apart from others.
We got a great deal of help even before our arrival with restaurant recommendations and reservations. Through the staff (in particular Justin and Jeff) we were able to get into every restaurant that we wanted and therefore got a great feel for the wonderful food scene there in Charleston.
The team also arranged a delightful three hour walking tour w Mrs Dulles who gave us nice insights into the architecture, history and culture of the old neighborhoods of the City. Well worth the effort.
We look forward to our next visit.
Lee Meier

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank leemeier
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My husband and I are boutique hotel snobs. On a whim, we decided to stay one night in Charleston and I stumbled across the Zero George because other places I knew of were already booked. I am SO glad that happened because the Zero George has become one of our favorite hotels (and by far our most favorite in Charleston). It's really hard to find coastal, boutique hotels and the Zero George has nailed it. Incredibly charming, cozy, luxurious, and impressive attention to detail. Even though it's on the northern fringe of all the downtown attractions, everything is easily within walking distance. We can't wait to come back and try out one of the guest suites, which are being completed in just a few weeks!