“Delightful”
Review of Zero George Street

Zero George Street
Ranked #3 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The cost of this hotel/B & B is somewhat high, but we knew that going in. Staying in historical buildings that have been thoroughly updated in a style that complements the character of the building was a treat. The staff was attentive and helpful - all very young and hip. The complimentary cheese tray and wine during the cocktail hour was superb and artfully presented. We regret that we did not happen to be there on one of the evenings that they serve dinner, as it sounded delicious and creative. If there was anything we would perhaps change, it would be the breakfast. For the cost of the room, we had expected a little more than boiled eggs, toast, bagels, muffins, cereal, yogurt and juice. It was an all-you-can-eat breakfast, but we had anticipated something hot and homemade by their chef or sou-chef. However, the patio where we had breakfast was pleasant. Zero George is within walking distance of the historic district shops and restaurants; if anything is too far, they will gladly call a bicycle cab for you. We will go back again.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

When I went to Charleston, I couldn't decide if I wanted value (outside downtown and drive) or luxury. I ended up deciding to go with luxury because the Zero George looked beautiful and had great reviews. It did not disappoint. The staff emailed me to suggest activity bookings when I booked and made dinner reservations at Husk for me. When I arrived, they expected me and knew my name. Everything went perfectly including the little homemade cookies every night. I also appreciated the free mini fridge drinks and nice simple breakfast.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk to King Street, the main shopping area. There are definitely closer hotels more in the center but the walk wasn't too bad considering it was 90+ degrees out. The rooms are on the smaller side and I only had a shower in my veranda queen. The rooms were super clean and I felt like room service knew exactly when I left in order to service the rooms. Perks of staying in a small hotel.

Overall I enjoyed my stay very much. It's definitely a place where you get what you pay for assuming you are ok with the price. I'm not sure I would choose going luxury again if I return. Nothing against Zero George but I'd definitely go value in Charleston next time.

In terms of amenities - free breakfast which was sparse but high quality, afternoon wine hour and pretty much nothing else. Parking is valet $20 a night. Not sure there's another choice as it's all residential parking in the area.

There's construction across the street and decent street traffic but it wasn't noticeably loud.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Great space, attentive staff, wonderful location... My wife and I spent a few days in and around the Charleston area in anticipation of our first born child. In an effort to "spoil" her I came across Zero George Street and booked it hoping to show her a memorable time and my expectations were met and then exceeded. Thanks to the staff for their help with the room, parking, meals, local attractions, etc. They were available when we needed them and never once intrusive. We will be back and have already recommended the hotel to our East Coast friends. Thanks again guys. Special thanks to Allie for all of her help both during our stay and in the time since our visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

What a gem of a place, accessible to all attractions, located in a quiet part of the city. The owners used to run Orient Express luxury hotels and it shows at Zero George. However, unlike bigger luxury hotels, Zero George is personable, quaint and above all very welcoming. Everything from the hotel concept to the finest details in the rooms, from the friendly staff to the outstanding food, made our stay memorable. The beds were the most comfortable ones we've slept on in a while. This place is magical and we did not want to leave. We highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in a King Room (Z3) on the second floor with a lovely balcony overlooking the patio.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, inside and out. It was slightly off the beaten path of the tourist areas ( a positive in my opinion) but still a very easy walk to every place we went, including restaurants, shopping, tours and museums. The room was extremely clean and comfortable and the staff was great. We also enjoyed the wine and cheese from 5-6. Highly, highly recommended!

1  Thank MeganFlorida
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The staff here is wonderful, kind, and completely aware that in this "space" (high-end hostelry) there's a lot of competition. This is a setting and experience on a par with the smaller Relais properties in France.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

What a wonderful hotel. We arrived and had a bottle of wine in our room. The room was clean, great linens and comfortable. We had our days planned out and made dinner reservations ahead of time with the help of Alli the concierge. The recommendations were great. After a long day out we came back to wine and cheese at five o'clock. Great hotel and staff