“Touch of character and style in Charleston”
Review of Zero George Street

Zero George Street
Ranked #3 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Dubai
“Touch of character and style in Charleston”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Staff were brilliant from the moment we arrived and they greeted us. The rooms are very nice. They thought of everything in the room. It was wonderful sitting out on the piazza while it was raining. The bed was super comfortable. You felt as though you lived in Charleston. Close to the main tourist areas yet very quiet in the neighbourhood. We stayed here because of the Conde Nast rating of Hot 100. The magazine was right - the food was amazing - the breakfast was great. We had dinner there two nights it was so good. Wonderful happy hour! Staff super friendly, knowledgable and could not be helpful enough. Definitely the place to stay in Charleston and we will return. While it might seem pricey it is well worth it because you will remember your stay. And that is what counts!

1 Thank Theresa D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
perth
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We wanted a hotel of heritage character and luxury...and friendly youthful management of course. Ticked all the boxes and more. Loved the quality of the daily breakfasts on the sheltered patio - granola and yoghurts, breads and jams and fresh juices/coffee.
Twice we had dinner here; portions just right of very tasty food.
Room on the ground level was clean, beautifully furnished and "dignified" - that's the word to describe this place. We stayed here for 4 nights and walked and explored the delights of Charleston, new village of I'On (both of us are architects) and Savannah. I would recommend this place to my friends and stay here again. Thank you!

Room Tip: I reckon any room is good - we had a Verandah Queen
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whizzyPerth
Weston, Florida, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Zero George for three nights in June 2014. We were extremely impressed with their operation. Not only is it a stunning property in a great location, but they pay attention to every detail (great design, amazing food, super helpful and friendly staff). It was quite a treat, we felt absolutely pampered! It may be pricey but well worth the real southern experience, as opposed to yet another chain hotel.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at Zero George for an entire week in June and everything was wonderful. The staff was great and helpful and we enjoyed staying in that our room and the breakfast was copious and diverse. There is no better place in Charleston....

Horsham, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at Zero George for three nights after spending the beginning on the week relaxing in Myrtle Beach. We had a wonderful time exploring Charleston, and it was made that much better by the Zero George staff.

The location is really the best of both worlds, just a quick walk from King & Market Streets, and close to the aquarium, Maritime Center and water taxi. Pedi-cabs are available with a quick call.

Upon booking our room, I knew this was a luxury hotel and was okay paying the price in hopes that the service and accomodations would live up to the reviews and beautiful pictures on the website. Zero George did not disappoint. Upon arrival, the front desk staff was expecting us. We valeted our car and they immediately offered to set us up with dinner reservations and provide suggestions for the rest of our time in Charleston. Their restaurant, bar and sightseeing recommendations were spot on. We stayed in a veranda queen room, which was really very comfortable. We also dined at Zero George on one of our evenings, and our meals were great.

We also appreciated all of the small touches - emailing us prior to arrival to let us know of upcoming events, homemade cookies/chocolates/snacks in our rooms nightly, cold bottles of water by our bedside nightly, as well as the daily breakfast and wine & cheese hours. We were really happy with our stay and we would definitely visit again as our expectations were certainly met.

Sierra Madre, California
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The cost of this hotel/B & B is somewhat high, but we knew that going in. Staying in historical buildings that have been thoroughly updated in a style that complements the character of the building was a treat. The staff was attentive and helpful - all very young and hip. The complimentary cheese tray and wine during the cocktail hour was superb and artfully presented. We regret that we did not happen to be there on one of the evenings that they serve dinner, as it sounded delicious and creative. If there was anything we would perhaps change, it would be the breakfast. For the cost of the room, we had expected a little more than boiled eggs, toast, bagels, muffins, cereal, yogurt and juice. It was an all-you-can-eat breakfast, but we had anticipated something hot and homemade by their chef or sou-chef. However, the patio where we had breakfast was pleasant. Zero George is within walking distance of the historic district shops and restaurants; if anything is too far, they will gladly call a bicycle cab for you. We will go back again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 June 2014

When I went to Charleston, I couldn't decide if I wanted value (outside downtown and drive) or luxury. I ended up deciding to go with luxury because the Zero George looked beautiful and had great reviews. It did not disappoint. The staff emailed me to suggest activity bookings when I booked and made dinner reservations at Husk for me. When I arrived, they expected me and knew my name. Everything went perfectly including the little homemade cookies every night. I also appreciated the free mini fridge drinks and nice simple breakfast.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk to King Street, the main shopping area. There are definitely closer hotels more in the center but the walk wasn't too bad considering it was 90+ degrees out. The rooms are on the smaller side and I only had a shower in my veranda queen. The rooms were super clean and I felt like room service knew exactly when I left in order to service the rooms. Perks of staying in a small hotel.

Overall I enjoyed my stay very much. It's definitely a place where you get what you pay for assuming you are ok with the price. I'm not sure I would choose going luxury again if I return. Nothing against Zero George but I'd definitely go value in Charleston next time.

In terms of amenities - free breakfast which was sparse but high quality, afternoon wine hour and pretty much nothing else. Parking is valet $20 a night. Not sure there's another choice as it's all residential parking in the area.

There's construction across the street and decent street traffic but it wasn't noticeably loud.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo