“WOW!!! What a meal!”

Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 916 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$19 - US$42
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Bay Street
Transit: Free Charleston Trolley stops next door at the Art Institute. Charleston Marriott also stops at the Art Institute.
Description: Burwell's, a pioneer of the Modern Steakhouse, unites with specific farms and ranches, most recently forging a powerful relationship with Snake River Farms for its exotic cuts, butcher selects, and above prime grades. The Award-Winning, casual steakhouse serves local, seasonal ingredients and its nose-to-tail efforts made famous by the "Hot Rock" program have caused quite a stir. Toss in the local seafood and vegetables and you'll find out why they've been the best kept secret in Charleston. Indoor - Outdoor Dining. "There is no other steak like it!"
Hopland, California
“WOW!!! What a meal!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I decided to celebrate our 30th anniversary by taking a trip to the south. She organized all the activities and I took charge of the food (oh lucky me!). When researching Charleston, one of the first places I read about was Burwell's Stone Fire Grill. After looking through reviews and exploring the menu I knew this was one restaurant we were definitely going to. We were not disappointed at all. Alan was our waiter and the service was fantastic. He was very personable and knew so much about the food. There were so many delicious choices that I couldn't decide so I went with Alan's recommendations. We started with the deviled eggs and the crab cake. Loved both of them. I didn't know you could put so many favors into something as simple as a deviled egg. For our main course my wife had the Grouper with beets. Neither of us have had grouper before this and it was delicious. I was tempted to fork out the bucks and try the Kobe beef but I thought I would save that experience for our next visit when I can share it with my daughter and son-in-law so I had the N.Y. Strip aged 45 days with a side of asparagus and fied egg. Now, I've eaten in a lot of steakhouses in my life. Several of those upscale ones that have amazing steaks, but I have never had a steak as good as this. It was seasoned and cooked medium rare to perfection. My wife, who never eats anything cooked less than medium loved it. Just when you didn't think it could get any better, Alan brought the dessert...Charleston S'mores. Chocolate covered peanut butter mousse and toasted honey marshmallow on mini wafers. The perfect ending to a superb meal. Don't miss out on this place. Thank you Burwell's!!!

• Visited June 2014
ChsMarket, Owner at Burwell's Stone Fire Grill, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thanks for visiting. We look forward to your return.

And yes, try the Kobe. It is truly one of a kind and something rarely ever seen in state of South Carolina. It is incredible and well worth the expense. Those in the biz often pop in to have it as well.

See you again soon.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Beef!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I both had steaks. They were good and distinctive, but we have had better. Succotash was excellent. The setting was very appealing - rustic and industrial.

Visited June 2014
Thank you for visiting! We enjoyed having you and look forward to your return. I love the succotash too. We were also pleased to hear you enjoyed the setting. We went through some ups and downs on the build, but it turned out spectacular.

Next time, spring for the Japanese Kobe... well above Prime and there is no better. Call ahead since we do not always have this rare cut.

North Charleston, South Carolina
“Best Happy Hour in Charleston”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Happy Hour 4-7....great appetizers and drinks. The pulled pork hushpuppies are great...honestly my favorite appetizer. Bud light drafts 2.50 and 4-5 specialty cocktails for $5. Great to start at the bar and then dinner. Great charcuterie and the stone seared marbled steak appetizer is great to pair with a salad for a meal. Had the tile fish special tonight...with parsnips & beets...very different and delicious. Parking next to the restaurant is $8 and you get a $4 credit inside and can leave your car to walk around the market. Staff is always extremely friendly. Have visited 4 times now and will continue to return.

• Visited June 2014
Agreed Sharon. See you soon.

Thank you for all the regular visits. We love being a local favorite! It is nice to see familiar faces every day.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Perfect Rehearsal Dinner!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My brother got married this past Memorial Day weekend, and we booked the rehearsal dinner at Burwell's. After searching for restaurants in Charleston with private dining for a group of 20-25 (which was exhausting!), we came across Burwell's. Ken, the owner, was our initial contact, and he made the booking experience about as smooth as it could possible be. We booked the space over the phone, kept in touch about the number of guests, timing, and menu selection, and we were all set.
Even after our rehearsal was pushed up and our party arrived about an hour early, the staff was very courteous, and led us to the upstairs patio/bar that was adjacent to the private dining area. The bartenders were friendly and knowledgeable, the drinks were amazing (the blueberry smash was a favorite!), and the atmosphere was classy but relaxed -- exactly what we wanted. We ordered a few appetizers (BBQ hushpuppies and deviled eggs are a must) that were well-received, even by our Chicago guests. :)
When we moved inside, they transferred our (one) tab right over, and we began our dinner service. Taylor and Caroline, our servers for the evening, were awesome. Not only were they friendly, but they answered every single question from our guests about the menu, wines, and ingredients graciously and without hesitation. And the food was ahhhmazing. The 16 oz. ribeye (see picture) had to be over 20 oz., the fish and duck were cooked perfectly, and the desserts were delicious. We also had a variety of wines and champagnes that were all well-received by our guests (ranging from the connoisseurs to the not-so-often wine drinkers).
My brother and I, along with some of the wedding party, have worked in restaurants/hospitality for many, many years, and we were impressed -- not only with the quality of the food and drinks, but with the impeccable, friendly service we received before, during, and even after our visit. I can speak for our entire party: we will be back the next time we're in Charleston, and would definitely recommend Burwell's to anyone.
Thank you Ken, Taylor, Caroline, Joe Joe, and everyone else that helped make our evening a success!

• Visited May 2014
We all enjoyed having you on your special day. We had a great time making a great time for you and your guests.

This means a lot knowing how many events we do here. It is nice to hear a follow up. I will share this with the team here.

Ken
Summerville, South Carolina
“My new " go to" place in Charleston”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have been twice to Burwell's, just across the street from the Charleston Market, and it has been a great time . Enjoyed the salad with the pickled strawberries, the hanger steak, scallops, cheese plate, and the wines, The service is friendly and I just can't tell you how wonderful both evenings were , especially since we brought company from out of town both times and they just raved about this restaurant. I have been so disappointed with some of Charleston's really high end restaurants and Burwell's just has not disappointed. It is now my go to place for great food, wine and service.... Thank you to all the people at Burwell's for a great experience.

• Visited May 2014