“save your timie and your money” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
missouri
“save your timie and your money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

wow! we were certainly disappointed here. our first meal in the city of Charleston, sc. the place is not good at all. the food that we had was not good at all. poor quality and highly overpriced. oh well we tried it. it has been put together with materials out of a dumpster. in fact I told my wife I thought they went around to the nicer restaurants in Charleston and gathered up their left over food, mixed it all together and reserved it at the "green door". we certainly would not go back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Poinciana, Florida
“Been there, done that, forget the tee shirt.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

My wife and I stopped in for a small dinner. The menu is strange food, but we were eating light so a grilled cheese sandwich with green tomatoes and bacon sounded great. The cheese was a spread that should be served with crackers, and the bread was burnt. To top it off, the tomatoes were pickled in a hot spice. The place came highly recommended, but we will not be going back. The service was very good and design was different.

Visited July 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
“One of the best meals I've ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I've been coming to Charleston for years and it has one of the best food scenes in the nation. However, I can't tell you how pleasantly blown away I was by The Green Door - you step off of Bay Street, and suddenly you are in Portland. Hip, fun waitstaff knows the menu inside and out & will steer you towards the best "off menu" offerings. Food is unlike any "fusion" I've seen before - it's Southeast Asia meets Lowcountry and holy cats, is it unbelievably good. The shortrib/mac & cheese roti is the stuff of dreams, as is the tots loaded with the best kimchi I've ever had outside of Korea, pimento cheese and hollandaise sauce. Beer & wine only, but with the ecclectic, interesting wine and beer list you'll be sure to find a new favorite. DO NOT MISS!

• Visited June 2013
Savannah, GA
“Find this place and get the best meal ever! for Asian fusion & organic food lovers--don't miss it!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was honestly one of the best meals I've ever had and I am dying to go back! I will say this, if you are into Asian or Asian-fusion food, organic local cuisine, intense flavors, then this place is for YOU! If you want plain and simple food, if you're a burger-n-fries buff who likes it reliably ordinary and is suspicious of anything out of the every-day, then go somewhere else. This is a menu full of imagination, intense and complex flavors, unusual combinations that work incredibly well. They use local, organic foods, with a list of their suppliers up on the board by the order window, if you want to check them out. They are inventive with spices and vinegars and fresh herbs and Asian sauces in various combinations to bring out the flavor of the food,--and yes, for the spud-lover, the fries and tater tots are crispy and very good, though for folks watching their calories, I'd recommend the incredibly delicious sauteed vegetables in a combo fish sauce (not too strong)/soy sauce/ hot sauce as a side dish. I had the chickpea burger with an egg added--had to ask them to cook the egg more, but they did so quickly and no problem-- with the sauteed vegies--DAMN good!! My hubby had the Chupacabra, which is grilled pork belly (like sidemeat/bacon, but thicker), which was absolutely SUPERB! For vegetarians the chickpea burger is a real delight, or the Mason Jar Salad or Lotus Noodle bowl--the staff here is really nice and willing to please, so if you are Vegan, I'm sure they would make adjustments to the menu if asked. The place is bright, clean and happy, filled with color and interesting knick-knacks, as well as being a great backdrop for photographs! They are attached to Big John's Bar next door, so when you finish you dinner (and beer if you like), walk through the side door to the bar to boogie off those calories! The front door really is green, and lit with a green light at night, but we missed it the first drive through, so just look for Big Johns on the corner. Open for Sunday brunch with lots of great selections, and until midnight on the weekends. I'm eager to go back and try more of their unique menu, and would highly recommend it to anyone who loves good food with a different little twist!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bichonandon
“Not much for vegetarians/vegans.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

This restaurant came up as a result in a search for vegetarian restaurants in Charleston, but the menu has few choices for vegetarians. I asked the server what a vegetarian might be able to eat, and he suggested a noodle dish, which "only has a little fish sauce." That's not vegetarian, Green Door.

I'm just not hipster enough to enjoy quirkiness that tries way too hard to be quirky. My husband's burger was bloody raw, so he was only able to eat the outside edges of the sandwich. My noodle dish was spiced to the extreme, and I do mean every extreme, not spicy hot. But definitely too spicy hot. It came with some type of pickled beets that would have made a great side dish, but only served to dye the little slices of what appeared to be dehydrated bread- which also fell victim to the soupy mess it was plonked into, so sadly could not even be eaten.

Total waste of my admittedly un-hipster $60, and hopefully will be gone next time we come to town.

Visited June 2013