“Hippy Chic, Very Reasonable, Mind Blowing Food”
Review of The Green Door - CLOSED

The Green Door
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Charleston, South Carolina
“Hippy Chic, Very Reasonable, Mind Blowing Food”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This little restaurant is hidden behind a tree but fortunately is next door to a landmark dive bar "Big John's Tavern" right on East Bay Street. The service is casual yet exceptional. All of our server’s recommendations were fantastic. Instead of bringing the standard bread to the table, they rev up your taste buds with some spicy flash fried chickpeas...delicious...you can hardly wait for the main course. The servings were generous and the spicy picks of our server made a memorable meal and we had enough for lunch the next day. The décor is fun and colorful. A must for lovers of Asian fusion and fun spicy food. The prices are fantastic. The beer list is fun. The ingredients are fresh and local. Get there. If you want something really unusual order the whole BBQ pig head 48 hours before you go in and bring LOTS of friends to help you eat it!

• Visited September 2013

“The food at The Green Door is adventurous and delicious!!”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant twice. The first dish I devoured was calamari sautéed in oil and tossed in a basil rub with two pieces of Texas toast. The flavor was amazing! For the relative simplicity of the dish I was very impressed and loved that the calamari was not fried, which is too common in Charleston. The second time I came to the restaurant I ordered sautéed little neck clams with braised pig head in a spicy coconut curry sauce topped with candies bacon. I was unsure about the braised pig head, but the unique combination of clams and pork was fabulous; the flavors came together to make a mouthwatering, savory dish. The other facet that makes this restaurant one of my favorites is the atmosphere. It has a hipster kind of feel that will make anyone feel comfortable and welcome. It's very refreshing to have a restaurant in Charleston that serves high quality food in a very laid back atmosphere with a great staff. I recommend The Green Door to everyone.

• Visited August 2013
Reading, Pennsylvania
“What a hidden gem”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stopped at a boutique beer store right before we were about to fly home and the owner suggested we try this place for lunch. What a wonderful suggestion, this place is a true hidden gem. Apparently started as a food truck, this tucked away wonder did not disappoint. I love adventure food and the chef's creativity was awesome here. Peanut butter and pork belly on a taco? Are you kidding me? AWESOME! All three of our meals were excellent and nothing you'd see anywhere else. Oh, did I mention the side order of candied bacon? I need not say more. Don't miss this place if you're in town.

Visited August 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Almost "adoorable"”
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

My wife is finding it hard going being a vegetarian on holiday in the U.S., there is very little choice and what there is tends to be egg based. This restaurant appeared to offer a little more, there was a chick pea burger on the menu at least, so we gave it a go. In fact we both ended up with the chick pea as my attempt to order chicken got lost somehow in the way we are divided by a common language, or perhaps it was the loud background music that confused communication. Yes it is one of those alternative places that insists on displaying its credentials with loud and to my ears awful music. The other quirk is that the tables are made out of old green painted doors covered in plexiglass. Fortunately the food when it arrived more than made up for the surroundings in which it is served, being very tasty even if I couldn't convince myself that the chickpea was chicken! The beers we had were good and were served in proper glasses, unlike the water which is presented in old jars. Deserts or coffee don't exist so we were presented with the bill as soon as our plates were cleared without us asking for it. Oh and it is cash only. So the food was good the surroundings and service only so, so. But at least there is something for the vegetarian on the menu.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Spwells2002
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Excellent and different”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Unusual menu with great options of spicy and flavorful food. Good staff and service. Very interesting spices with an indian flavor. Vegetarian options were great.

Visited July 2013