“Didn't find my indigo”

Seeking Indigo Wellness Center & Urban Oasis
More attraction details
Owner description: Seeking Indigo is a holistic Wellness Center that offers healing spa treatments from all corners of the world. Behind the massive teak doors lies a zen paradise unlike any other Charleston Day Spa. Choose from Qi Gong massage, Japanese facelift massage, Ayurvedic treatments from India and much much more. These World Spa treatments are designed to relax, rejuvenate and assist the body with it's own healing process. Wellness is what we make it. Start taking care of yourself by refreshing your body, mind, and soul in this unique Charleston Day Spa. Our Charleston Wellness Center and Charleston Day Spa is the key to transforming the way you look, move, think and feel. Improve your health now by taking time to "Relax...And Enjoy Life" at our Charleston Wellness Center and Day Spa. An ever-evolving creative environment celebrating traditions, products, and wellness methodologies from afar, coupled with progressive healing modalities and authentic local finds from Charleston's own backyard. In the heart of downtown Charleston in the Upper King Street's design district lies this integral retail, spa and wellness experience that invites its guests to discover the magic inside. Seeking Indigo brings uplifting lifestyle and holistic wellness through the collaboration of like-minded partners promoting consciousness, artful living, and well-being. The 6000 square foot urban oasis located in the heart of downtown Charleston combines a retail store and wellness center to produce an enlightened gathering place where you can explore your dreams, and feel great while you are doing it. The Seeking Indigo Wellness spa includes a yoga studio, detox center, ancient Ayurvedic healing treatments, relaxing and therapeutic massage therapies and organic facials.
Granbury, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Didn't find my indigo”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I did not find my higher spiritual consciousness with in Seeking Indigo.
Let me be clear that the massage with Jo Ann met my expectations. She was voted the
"Best Massage Therapist in Charleston" in 2011 and 2012. Her stlye will not disappoint. She focused on all the spots that needed attention with a pressure that was perfect for me. She was
open to guidance and responded graciously. The new greeter at the front desk, Claudia, was exactly what I would expect at a wellness center or urban oasis. She was gentle, yet assertive, and had a certain peace about her, and gave the type of welcome you would expect in such a center.

Unfortunately there were numerous down sides to my experience. My wife and I have the blessing of being able to travel the US and experience a lot of what the smaller cities and rural areas have to offer. A couple of months ago, while visiting family in the area, my wife was told of the center by a relative who had been to an open house at the center. She went by the center, visited with someone there and bought for me a gift certificate for $165.00 for a Charleston Massage. The massage was described on their web site as :

Enjoy Seeking Indigo's Signature Downtown Charleston Massage with our lead massage therapist, choosing from a range of modalities: Deep Tissue, Aromatherapy Relaxation, Trigger Point, Neuromuscular, Hot Stone & more. { $125 / 60 min.} { $165 / 100 min.}
I read that to mean it was a menu I could choose from to include in my 100minutes.

When I called to make my appointment, Claudia answered, explained that she was new, but on here menu of what was included in the package, the hot stone was not an option, but I could get it for an additional charge. I mentioned to here that the web site seemed to incicate something different. She in a very polite way, asked if she could research the discrepency and call me back. I said sure. No problem. She did exactly what I would have wanted one of my employees to do if they did not have all the answers. I recieved a return call from someone, who's name I do not recall, who said the web site was not current, they were working on updating it and I could get the hot stone for an additional charge if I was so inclined. I respectfully declined. Two days later I arrived about 10 minutes early for my appointment. I was greeted by a somewhat disinterested employee in the check in area. When I gave her my name and appointment time the lady next to her, who was working with another client, looked over, excused herself from her client, and introduced herself as Claudia. She extended a warm hand shake and completely turned my initial experience around. Warm hand, good eye contact and genuine empathy. Unfortunately she had to go back to her initial client. Back to the original lady, who I took to be a manager. She asked me fill out some paper work and offered me a glass of water, which seemed genuine and I accepted graciously. She gave the option of completing the paper work at the registration counter or in a sitting area off to the side. I completed it there and then walked over to sit in the area she had offered.
The area had a good feel. I was the only man there, with 3 other woman coming and going over the next 10 minutes. I noticed all had removed their shoes. I was given no instruction as to what to expect next or what the process going forward would be. As I sat there I realized that rather than playing peaceful or centering music, it was more like folk rock than contemplative or meditative. I was amazed however about the most beautiful and detailed hand carved wooden wall and sliding doors. They appeared to be from India, and the craftsman ship was amazing. I observed what appeared to be employees escorting clients thru the door. When the door was open, I could hear the music I was looking for and the environment that would be centering. I continued to wait in the outer area. When Jo Ann arrived to take me back, she introduced herself, and escorted me through this awesome centering room. Unfortunately we walked right thru, with no opportunity to get dialed into what I was about to experience. The lighting was soft, the music was definitely of a high quality India variety. The cieling was draped with tapestry. The quality of the wood artifacts in the room were comforting and of good quality. But we went straight to the room equally as nicely appointed as the centering room, tapestry from the cieling, numerous candles and good music.
The next 100 minutes were very good. The diappointment was the use of a generic almond oil for the message, which left me oily when finished as opposed to a better quality oil that might be more absorbing and rejuvenating. On completion I exited the room and realized I was in a larger room that 4 other people laying on additional tables scattered about, all draped appropriately, with some wearing some type of ear phones. I was greeted by Jo Ann, who offered me a water and directed me to the mens room if I needed it. This room was also amzingly well decorated, with good music, subdued lighting and candles. The erie part for me was the fact I was walking
about other clients in some phase of treatment. As I walked in the mens room, I notice an ornated folding screen or divider. Unfortunately there was another client draped on a table there.
I then was escorted back to the centering room where I had not had a chance to spend any time. Jo Ann told me if I wanted I could spend some time in the room. I was excitied to do so. It was just what I was looking for...however during my brief time in the room, young employees continued to go back and forth thru the sliding door, some closing the door some not, which allowed the louder folk rodk music to interupt my centering experience. After a few minutes, I exited the room, when to the front desk, settled my account and left. No one asked about my experience. I spent an additional 5 minutes browsing the retail area. Some very nice product, but no one seem interested in help me so I left.
Great space, awesome opportunity to create an incredible experience worth more than what I paid. I would go back to recieve additional work from Jo Ann. I would just lower my expectations for the next time and be clear about what I wanted before I go.

Visited December 2013

Decatur, Georgia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Best Torture Machine EVER!!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Laid out on the bed with the hot 'jade' rollers goin underneath me for 20 minutes and it was AWESOME! I'm sure it's something out of Sharper Image instead of some ancient Asian tradition but WHO CARES! that not in the middle of my back was gone and had the energy to walk around the city for another 2 hours after that.

Best investment of $20.

The set-up of the place is a little odd and it would have been better if they allowed you to take your street clothes off and put on a robe instead but I still recommend it for those in need of a quick fix.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Dancer W
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Cute boutique up front, Spa with potential in back”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

A friend of mine and I happened upon Seeking Indigo while shopping our way through Charleston in early May 2013. The front of the space is a boutique while the back is a wellness center. The girl who was working up front was super friendly and informative, so we decided to give the wellness center a shot and booked an "Ultimate Detox" for the next morning. We showed up at about 9:50AM, which was about 10 minutes before our appointment, as instructed, but the store was locked. So we walked around a bit and returned. When we entered and said that we were there for our services, the woman said hello, but was not what I would call inviting or friendly. Since the weather had finally turned from days and days of rain to sunshine and blue skies, we decided to cut our services down from the two-hour "Ultimate Detox" to the 90-minute "Detox to the Max", the only difference being 30 minutes and no amethyst bio-mat session. Since there is no actual therapist involved in any of these treatments other than leading you to them so that you can lie or sit there, we did not think this would be much of a problem, but she seemed mildly annoyed, which, I guess, is sort of understandable. Anyways, she then led us back to the sauna area and closed the curtain with her only direction being that there were two towels and two robes hanging for us. I asked what we were supposed to do and she said, get undressed, so we did. We undressed in the dark and, guessing we were supposed to enter the sauna, groped our way into it for 30 minutes. The sauna was really nice and we got a good sweat going, only to find out that there was nowhere to rinse off afterwards, and were instead supposed to rinse off using iced wash cloths and then re-dress in our street clothes for the rest of the therapies. We made this work, but it is a good thing that we are such good friends because two people, drenched in sweat, toweling each other off with icy wash cloths in a 4'x6' curtained room was pretty intimate - thank goodness it was so dark! We then picked up the rest of our stuff and the lady returned to take me to my 30-minute migun massage table session (She did seem to be in better spirits at this point). This is a table on which you lie that massages you while listening to the sounds of rain and the ocean. It was nice and I could see using something like this if I owned it in my home, but would probably opt for a live massage therapist in the future so that they can focus on tight areas, etc, per your direction. After this, I went for an ion cleanse foot detox bath. This was something that we had both read about and knew was probably a scam, but wanted to give a try anyways. The odd thing is that they have this beautiful, relaxing candlelit room with a sofa when you enter the wellness area, but they put us out in the boutique area for the soak, which was not as relaxing and lacked the ambience of the wellness area. The results truly do look super gross, although I am not sure if it was produced by the machine itself or from my body detoxing. A very pleasant girl then looked at the colors and foam in the water basin to tell us what we had just detoxed (liver, gallbladder, etc). Regardless of whether this is legit, the foot soak was nice. Overall, the décor is really, really gorgeous and the boutique has a lot of really interesting, unique items, but I would not go back for detox services as it is just not my thing. Some suggestions would be cubbies to hold your personal items and somewhere to rinse off from the sauna. Additionally, for new clients, some better communication of what to expect and what was happening from the staff would be a major bonus. We literally did not know what was happening or what we were supposed to do almost the entire time - and when we asked questions of the woman in charge, it seemed like we were supposed to have known the answer already. Anyways, it was an interesting experience and was not super expensive ($65), so it could certainly have been worse, but I am not sure I would recommend it. On a side note, however, it seemed like their yoga classes in the back area would be amazing - and also their list of massage therapies (with a real therapist in a walled-in massage room) sounded promising.

Visited May 2013