“The best in town!”
Review of Peninsula Grill

Reserve with OpenTable
Peninsula Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting Street
Description: Located in the very heart of Charleston's famed Historic District, this AAA Four-Diamond restaurant has been recognized by Departures, Conde Nast Traveler, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Southern Living, Travel + Leisure, Wine Spectator, and others for serving the finest and freshest ingredients sourced locally and globally. With velvet-lined walls in shimmering oyster tones, woven seagrass, and indigenous cypress, the Peninsula Grill Dining Room ambiance is supper club sumptuousness. The Peninsula Grill Champagne Bar is an intimate jewel box space that offers several outstanding champagnes by the glass and a delicious bar menu. The lush Peninsula Grill Courtyard is one of the Charleston's true hidden gems and the most romantic al fresco dining setting in the city. Peninsula Grill also offers private dining. Peninsula Grill is a proud member of Relais & Chateaux, an exclusive collection of restaurants and hotels in romantic destinations around the world. Business casual attire.
Greenville, South Carolina
“The best in town!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is truly a special place and my wife and I were treated to one of our best dinners we have had in years. We like to go to the best places when we are on vacation so this was one of our choices and it was the best of the group. The setting is terrifice and the room is beautiful. The service is equal to the food which is outstanding. We had the lobster three ways which was beyond. Then we ordered a veal chop with marrow butter and it was the best I have ever had. The rib eye with a balsalmic glaze and blue cheese crumbles was also awesome. Save room for the famous coconut cake which is famous for a reason. You really have to be hard pressed to find anything wrong with this place. It is really top of the line.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Michael W
Planters_Inn, General Manager at Peninsula Grill, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for voting Peninsula Grill "Best in Town". In a city filled with excellent restaurants we are truly honored by your review and ranking. Peninsula Grill has separated itself from other restaurants through our commitment and passion. Our service staff in professional, knowledgeable, and cares about our guests experience at Peninsula Grill. Thank you again for your outstanding review. We look forward to serving you again.

Cheers,

Baltimore, Maryland
“Delicious and enjoyable meal”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We celebrated our anniversary with a lovely dinner. The atmosphere was wonderful. Our entrées were delicious and we very much enjoyed our server. We topped the meal off with a piece of their coconut cake. I'd recommend this as a great place to celebrate any occasion!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kathy G
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for choosing Peninsula Grill for such a wonderful occasion. Through the years we have earned the reputation of being the place to dine in Charleston. We have been part of many local and visitor's celebrations both small and large. I am thrilled that we made your celebration so special. We look forward to your next visit.

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“Awesome”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The service here was top notch. Our waiter was attentive without being intrusive. We had the free range chicken which was excellent, and the wreck fish which does not sound too appetizing but was delicious and the presentation of both was superb, kudos to the kitchen. The chocolate trio for dessert was decadent and excellent.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank drtodd_10
Thank you for your visit and your review. I have to admit that I am a little disappointed that your "Awesome" visit to Peninsula Grill only warranted a 4 of 5 review. I would think that awesome would rank a strong 5 of 5. We look forward to serving you again and repeating the "awesome, excellent, and superb" and earn your 5 of 5 ranking.

Cheers,

Belfry
“Well worth every penny!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Be prepared to spend a pretty penny at this place but it is well worth every cent. If you're going to go to Peninsula Grill you might as well go all out! That's what my husband and I decided to do while we were on our honeymoon. This place came highly recommended by a close friend. We started with the Three Way Lobster that we heard was delicious from trip advisor. The reviews were right and it was absolutely delicious, only downfall was I had to share it!! ;) you've got to dip the bread in the sauce too!!! My husband got the three way soup and he loved the lobster and mushroom soup but didn't care too much for the third soup because it was a chilled soup. I tasted them all and they were very good but I'm not much for a chilled soup either, but it was a nice mix. I ordered the Apple Bibb salad and it was a perfect mix with the dressing, blue cheese, apples, and walnuts. It was actually a decent portion size too!! There were plenty of meals that were paired and served with sides but we chose to order the steak and everything was a la carte which made it a little more expensive, but again worth it. We both ordered the mashed potatoes and loved them. The one side was just enough but we weren't sure on portion sizes so we each ordered a second vegetable- he for the broccolini and I got the asparagus. They were good but nothing over the top or out of the ordinary-- delicious though. The sides we ordered were big portions and again we only needed one side, neither one of us finished our second side. Okay now to the best part we each ordered a steak and they were AMAZING!!!! Best steak I've ever had! I ordered the filet and he ordered the ribeye and they literally melted in our mouth! The sauces just topped it off!! Cooked to perfection!! I was stuffed but my husband talked me into dessert. They are known for their coconut dessert but neither one of us are fans of coconut so he got the banana pudding and I ordered the chocolate cake. Both were decent size portions and I didn't think they were very expensive considering everything else. We were both not only impressed with the taste of the desserts and the presentation but Peninsula Grill went an extra step and wrote congratulations on our plates since we were newlyweds. Very thoughtful... Which brings me to the service which was impeccable!! I loved the way everyone worked together! Our glasses never went below half full and a dirty plate never sat on our table for very long. The pacing of our courses were also perfect! Our waiter was very personable and knowledgable about the menu. He was very honest too when we asked his opinion. We definitely recommend this place and suggest you just bite the bullet and go all out. We will definitely be back!

1 Thank Punkie2
Congratulations on your recent wedding! We wish you all the best.

Thank you for your amazing review of your visit to Peninsula Grill. It seems like you enjoyed many of Chef Graham Dailey's more popular menu items. One of the problems many of our guests encounter is choosing their meal for the evening. Everything on the menu is wonderful and everyone has their own favorites. As you mention in your review that is where our longstanding and professional waitstaff excel. Having a guide that is knowledgeable about every ingredient and what flavors and wines pair nicely to lead you through your evening can turn a great evening into a spectacular evening. Thank you for all of the praise and recommendation. We look forward to serving you again.

Kingsport, Tennessee
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Wonderful ambiance and delicious food. The entrees while pricey were wonderful and even if you don't have room for desert, you must try the coconut cake!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Linda B
Thank you for your visit and your review. Our unique combination of food, service and ambiance have made Peninsula Grill the place to dine in Charleston. We look forward to serving you again.