“Surprisingly Good - A True Hidden Gem!”
Review of Mellow Mushroom

Mellow Mushroom
Ranked #90 of 926 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Kitchen Hours Sun-Thurs 11AM-11PM Friday & Saturday 11AM-12AM (Bar 11AM-2AM)
Connecticut
“Surprisingly Good - A True Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I admit that going into this restaurant was all my wife's idea. I really hate mushrooms so I guess I have a subconscious aversion to the name alone... But anything to have a happy wife.

We started off with the pretzels appetizer. They were baked perfectly - the dough was very soft and tasted far beyond my expectations. Great seasoning and dipping sauce!

I opted for a "hoagie." I quote it because of the different regional names these have - where I'm from they are called "subs". Anyway the Turkey & Cheese was the recommended pick so I went with that.

First impression was 'holy @#$@' that's a big sandwich. I mean really for $10 that was one huge hoagie. An amazing value and I had not even taken a bite yet!

It included bacon, peppers and even cucumbers. The cucumbers added an entirely new dimension in both texture and flavor. Overall it was just a well built, well thought out sandwich. I remember thinking that the items picked out for this were great choices (fresh, flavorful, colorful) and played off each other very well.

My wife had one of their pizzas and she absolutely loved it as well.

Don't be fooled by the outward appearance of this location, it is worth the venture in and my only regret is that they don't have one of these locations closer to home.

• Visited November 2013
BoomerO26, Public Relations Manager at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thanks for your feedback, Tom! We're glad that your wife's happiness led you to Mellow and that you guys thoroughly enjoyed your meal with us. Sounds like you guys tried a variety of things on our signature Mellow menu! Come back and see us again the next time you and your wife are in Charleston!

Charleston, South Carolina
“Don't overestimate the cooks, I'm surprised they can boil water.”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I've had problems here before but my friends wanted pizza so I gave in. I'm lactose intolerant so I thought I'd get the wings...who can mess up wings? These guys can.... the wings were so overcooked I had to force them down cuz I was so hungry and it took long enough to get them I couldn't wait anymore. I don't like to generalize because I'm sure they have some good employees, but whoever was in the kitchen on 2/9/14 needs some additional training. If you must go to mellow mushroom stick to pizza because that's all they can cook.

• Visited February 2014
BoomerO26, Public Relations Manager at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Hi, Ryan. We appreciate you taking the time out to write us a review. We want to provide delicious food for our customers all around, so we are so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your wings. We'll definitely be taking your comments into consideration for the future. Please contact Boomer@mellowmushroomchs.com so we can ensure your next visit with us is a great one. Hope to see you again soon!
Houston, Texas
“Awesome pizza”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

After eating fancy meals while in Charleston, my husband and I were craving pizza for lunch. We stumbled into Mellow Mushroom while walking on King Street. It did not disappoint. The crust was so soft and crusty. Really good pizza and reasonably priced. Definitely a college hangout. I would recommend.

Visited January 2014
Thanks so much for your feedback, Rene! We're stoked that you and your husband got a chance to stop in on King St while you were visiting Charleston. Our crust is made with the freshest spring water, which is why it's so delicious! Come back and see us the next time you're in Charleston!
Eugene, Oregon
“Classic College Pizza Joint in Downtown Charleston”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

A kid/family friendly pizza place in downtown Charleston. The wait staff are attentive, the space is very "college", the beer selection is great and the pizza, while not spectacular, is good with lots of selection. Low key, fun ambiance and a busy bar area make a for a less "southern" and more "college" feel to the place. Get a table upstairs by the window so you can people watch.

Visited January 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to review us and give us some feedback. Sounds like you had a Mellow experience up to our standards which is awesome to hear. Our atmosphere is definitely fun and unique! If you are a big fan of the beer selection, we recommend joining our Beer Club for specials. Come back and see us again soon!
“Yum!!!”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Love the decor...very hip & fun! Tried the beer paddle but was very disappointed, as I had told the waitress what beer I did NOT like, and she must not be educated on them, as I got four disgusting, undrinkable IPA-like beers. Thankfully she took them of the bills so all was good. The good...pizza was amazing! Had the Red skin potatoe pie..phenomenal! Will prob. Go back before we leave town:)

Visited January 2014
Thanks for your review! We're glad that you appreciated our unique decor and also enjoyed your meal. The Red Skin Potato Pie is one of our faves! Hopefully you got a chance to stop by again while you were in town. Come back and see us during your next visit!