“Worth the wait to get a reservation!”
Review of FIG

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hasell
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've lived in Charleston about a year and have tried many times to get reservations at this restaurant. I finally did pre--planning and made one six weeks in advance of my husband's birthday and we went there with my parents for dinner. As is all too often the case with trendy restaurants, they can be disappointing in reality. But FIG bucked the trend - it was outstanding! Although the menu is small, each entrée we chose was very flavorful, and cooked to perfection. Grouper, steak, ricotta gnocchi and a vegetarian plate all got raves. Wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive. The only reason I marked them down in some categories was the noise level was quite high and, despite them knowing that it was a birthday dinner, they didn't even bring a dessert to share or a complimentary cup of coffee!

1  Thank jsmccul
Write a ReviewReviews (2,003)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We've been to FIG several times. We were underwhelmed by both the food and the wine selections. we ordered the fish, the pork dish, the gnocchi (as entree) and the seafood stew. The seafood stew (don't remember it's actual name) was a bland broth of fish, mussels and maybe one other seafood - it is unmemorable except that no one liked it. At first the waiter seemed to disbelieve the food wasn't good and then compounded our feeling of discomfort by not removing the dish and insisting on getting the manager with no explanations - very awkward and unseemly for a purported elegant restaurant. The manager was nice enough and brought out another dish. It was okay but it was a repeat of something we'd had and we like going to FIG because they offer new options. We were not impressed with the menu options and each of us chose something that sounded "ok". Having said that - the fish with potato purée was lighter than expected and very flavorful (we dreaded the idea of the fish being overwhelmed by heavy mashed potatoes - it was not like that at all - it was delicious,)
We were disappointed that the dessert menu hadn't changed since the last two times we had been? Is it only entrees that change? Lastly, we told the waiter that we loved two wines (and named them) but they weren't on the menu. He brought us what he thought was something close - we returned it. It was not at all similar in taste or weight....
We enjoy FIG but given the vast number of excellent places and the fact that the food and service doesn't always match or come close to the price, we will likely not return for a while.

1  Thank LuvzTrav10
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Follow all the advice you read - forget getting a reservation on short notice, and just plan to be there at 5:00 when they open. Take a seat at the bar with Andrew and Ashley. You can order food at 5:30 or later. The food was spectacular. We enjoyed the 9 vegetable salad, gnocchi, cobia and pork schnitzel. It is the fastest I've ever seen my husband eat. Seriously make time for FIG, it is way better than many other restaurants.

1  Thank Jen D
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My fiancée and I finally tried FIG this past weekend in Charleston. Charleston is a town blessed with many fabulous restaurants, but FIG really stands out of the pack. The service was impeccable as our waitress provided detailed, very helpful explanations of the menu and appeared just at the right times. We had the ricotta gnocchi & beef Bolognese for an appetizer that was the lightest yet most flavorful gnocchi I have ever had. We then split a pork spaetzle (amazing!!) and a fish dish for dinner. I had a glass of wine and we walked out of there for under $120. The atmosphere is cozy and fairly quiet, definitely great for a date night without a hint of stuffiness.

FIG definitely lives up to the hype and we will surely return. I highly recommend!!

1  Thank Rebecca R
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This place is worth the hype. I asked a friend who used to live here for recommendations and I was given around 10. Then he said he would go here. We did. I wish I could recommend a dish but the menu changes a lot. You really cannot go wrong with anything. We walked in and sat at the bar. Full service and front row view of the mixologist doing their thing.

If you are looking for something fresh and just a little bit different, you can not go wrong here. One of the few places that is worthy the hype. On the high end an entree will run you around $30-$35. We saw a lot of people sharing an app, entree and a side along with a bottle of wine. GO HERE.