“Good Food”

Ranked #336 of 939 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$11 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Lunch hours : 11:30 a.m to 3:00 p.m Dinner hours: 5:00 p.m to 10:00 p.m
Reviewed 14 September 2013

They have a buffet at noon which is good. Some items are more in line with American tastes by not being very hot. The flavors are good as is the food. There is a bit of Indian decore and the plaace is clean. The owners are nice. Come here on aa regular basis.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Had a good variety of starters like Samosa and pakoras. Chicken tikka masala and Lamb curry also tasted good. But the staff needs to be more ambient towards the guests, there is no greeting nor a warm welcome.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We recently moved to Charleston and immediately looked for an Indian restaurant, which is our favorite type of food. The restaurant looks like an old Pizza Hut, outdated and dark. Not much in terms of ambiance. We got there early - 5 on a Saturday. The restaurant was empty except for a noisy group of 4 adults and a toddler. And we were seated right next to them. At the risk of looking like jerks, we stayed put.

Anyway - the food. I ordered the chicken korma with a mild spice level. The dish was definitely mild and it was also very bland. I always order my Indian dishes mild and they are still very flavorful, but not this dish. My husband ordered mater paneer with a moderate spice level and said it was "just ok." Portion size was average, smaller than what I'm used to. I shared with my 2 young kids & had a small amount leftover, but my husband finished all his. Aloo naan was good. The vegetable samosas were tiny & a complete ripoff at $3.99 a piece. We were waited on by 3 different men, and they always addressed my husband, never to me (which I'm not some crazed feminist, but come on, really?) Our main server was attentive but spoke very softly and it was hard to hear him. When we had a question about our bill, the gentleman in the turban was very dismissive and rude about it. Very disappointing experience. We won't be back. I can only hope that Charleston's 2 other Indian restaurants are better.

1  Thank Kent_Stater
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Our experience was terrible. The staff members - Punjabi aunty and saradar were rude and arrogant. They don't even have the manners on how to talk to customers. The food was pathetic. You won't find more options. No hygiene. If you are with your family or friends, I would suggest, try other restaurants (Indian or other but not this Nirlep). You can try Bombay Grill Restaurant which is far better than Nirlep in Charleston. Nirlep is total loss of money, full of disappointment.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We went for the buffet and found it to be quite ordinary. The kalima (or something) chicken kabob and the shrimp biryani was tasty though. Not a lot of Indian options available locally, so I think this must have its own share of patrons.