“Summer”

Paolo's Gelato Italiano
Ranked #16 of 41 Dessert in Charleston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: Charleston's only authentic Italian gelateria! We have been in Charleston since 2003 serving the finest espresso, cannoli, and gelato this side of the Atlantic.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I love ice cream, gelato, frozen yogurt, all of it but my favorite is gelato and Paolo's is some of the best! If you come to Charleston and love gelato you have to try this place, you may even meet Paolo.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The gelato was ok. We were having dinner next door and it was pouring outside. We ran in before returning to our hotel, the Hampton Inn. The location was the main draw. I had chocolate hazelnut gelato. It was not bad but not amazing. I've had better.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We've stopped at this place each time we visit Charleston. It never disappoints. Try the marscapone, stratiacella?, or the strawberry. It's always good and refreshing and one of my favorite places to stop when you need to cool down or rest.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

First thing, Paolo's is cash only. There is a Wells Fargo ATM about a half block away on King Street or inside King Street Grocery.

I always stop into Paolo's when I'm near/around upper King street. It's a real treat to go in, ponder the selection, and interact with the gregarious Paolo himself. He's quite the entertaining character.

He has 8 flavors available at any one time. When he runs out of a certain flavor, he replaces it often with a different flavor than was there previously.

I particularly like the fruit flavors he makes, with Limoncello being my top favorite. Its sweet and tart at the same time. Really lovely texture too.

Some people have expressed that they think the prices are a bit steep. I think they are right on target. The largest size, which is $7 fits a lot of gelato in it, so if you are with someone that you don't mind sharing with, get the largest size, fill it with your four favorite flavors (he lets you try them all first), and share. It ends up being much cheaper than getting two smalls individually.

Paolo also sells cannolis as well. The shells are on display and he fills them after you've ordered. I think I might like the cannolis even more than the gelato. He has other things for sale as well, including a cute t-shirt that instructs you how to order gelato in Italian. If you speak or read basic Italian, you will find it quite humorous.

Another quirky thing about Paolo's is the "Pet Bar" outside, which is nothing more than a bowl of water, but it's a cute touch to the already whimsical establishment.

There is not much seating inside, just a small bench near the window. Its not conducive to lingering inside after you've received your goods.

Being basically next door to 39 Rue de Jean, Paolo's is a great place to stop off for dessert after a French bistro dinner.

1  Thank MsDeebs
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Just had the stracciato gelato (which we know as chocolate chip). Perfection. Creamy, delicious, but not too sweet. A perfect way to wrap up a fun day in Charleston.