“They have half portion options!”
Review of Five Loaves Cafe

Five Loaves Cafe
Ranked #12 of 946 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Eclectic cuisine focusing on locally sourced foods, vegetarian friendly and gluten free menu. Healthy menu with anti-biotic free meats and 15 years of success.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have been here twice in the past two years, stopping by on the way to Hilton Head, SC. Both times I had a great experience. As seen in the title, I love that they have half portion options, which gives you the opportunity to try more from their menu. Try the soup sampler! The food is very affordable and this place is great for kids, too.
Also, a big thanks for the manager: I accidentally left something in the restaurant. I live in NYC as was afraid it'd never come back to me, but they shipped it to me on the honor system and I am very grateful for that!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I am particular about the quality of food I eat so turned to Trip Advisor as we have never been to Charleston. The Fives Loaves caught my attention right away with their promise of clean meat and local vegetables well presented. We were not disappointed!! There were four people in our party and we all had different meals, all of which were outstanding in flavour and presentation.
The waiter, Steven was excellent and knowledgable about the food and the local area.
Highly recommended! Excellent quality for a great price!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our family of five went here on a Saturday night around 6:30. They don't take reservations but we called and they indicated it didn't get crowded until around 8pm. We had no problem getting a table. Overall the food was great and they had half price bottles of wine. Service was outstanding. Will definitely go back when we visit Charleston again.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

If you're a tourist, Five Loaves might be a bit off the beaten path for you. Make the time to eat here. You won't be disappointed.

My partner, who can't have dairy or gluten, ate like a king here. I had the sauteed shrimp gnocchi, which with its caramelized onions, raisins, and cream sauce, offered a combination of flavors that danced on my tongue. Of course, that could have been the wine talking: we went on a Wednesday night, and bottles of wine were half off. It was less expensive to order a bottle than two glasses. So, a bottle it was.

The lighting is dim, but the atmosphere is warm and friendly. It's that rare kind of place that feels like a neighborhood haunt even if you're far from home.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's a local favorite! It's my "go to" place for lunch. Homemade everything that is fresh! Including the ice tea! Can't ask for more than that! Go early or go late for lunch or be ready to wait a bit. It's worth it though....