“Best Southern Comfort Food in Charleston”
Review of Workmen's Cafe

Workmen's Cafe
Ranked #357 of 951 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: James Island
Description: Homemade Goodness, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, meatloaf and gravy, fried pork chops, mac and cheese. Everything your grandma or mom cooked when you were a child.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

You won't find Workmen's Cafe unless you are looking for it, and you should look for it. Open for lunch only, the proteins vary by day. Check the webpage or call ahead if you want to know what the day's fare will be.

We have had a second home in Charleston for 10 years, and trust me, this is the best food of this kind you will find, at the best price, in the friendliest environment. Everyone at Workmen's is happy, and you will be, too.

1  Thank CharlotteTRAV
Angie B, Manager at Workmen's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

You too kind with your words. I thank you so much. It is my desire that the customer tastes the passion that goes into my food. I love what I do. Again thanks and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Workmen's Cafe' is a small, restaurant on Grimball Road on James Island. The food was home style and delicious! Between us, we had fried chicken, collards, squash, rice, beans and cornbread. I can't wait to try her meatloaf! The owner of the restaurant served us with graciousness and was most enjoyable to chat with. It took us a few tries to find her open (Tues - Sat. 11-4; soon to expand her hours) but it was well worth the effort.

1  Thank SE F
Reviewed 9 August 2013

OMG - This little cafe will add 5lbs to your already spreading hips. Truly your bank for the buck! The guys loved the portions, however, I couldn't finish my meal and took the leftovers home for dinner. This lady makes the best mac/cheese Ive ever had. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

We happened upon this spot passing through the short cut from Folly Rd to Maybank Hwy. it happened to be open for business. What a treat! One criticism...the portions were too big! No kidding. If you are a Workman(!!!), by all means, go get the blue plate special, with three veggies and a meat, and rolls or cornbread, and banana pudding. Excellent.

Angie B, Manager at Workmen's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thanks to all who took the time out to write a review. I really appreciate your honest and heartfelt sentiments. I truly love what I do. God knows that I do. I trust your visit was the same at the end as it was from the beginning. I strive everyday to do better by constantly listening to my customers and seeking ways to improve. I hope to see you again real soon. Again thank you.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

Great solid choice for soul food without the prices or the traffic of downtown.It's outlasted many of the mediocre restaurants on James Island and hopefully will be around many more years to come.
Fried Chicken, Meatloaf, Limas, Cornbread...she's got it all.

1  Thank generalfletch