“Order the Artichoke Appetizer!”
Review of Sermet's Downtown - CLOSED

Sermet's Downtown
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We love a lunch in a restaurant with nice linen. It sets the mood. My husband ordered an appetizer the was a stacked artichoke and tomato dish with lemon and olive oil finish. Superb. He had the short rib over polenta with wild mushrooms and cherries. Tender and flavorful. I had the world's tenderest seared ahi with a salad of fennel and grapefruit and greens. Perfect from end to end.

1  Thank Foodielicious2

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I you want to LISTEN to good jazz, Listen as opposed to just going to a bar to hear a note or two from a "jazz" band above the roar of crowds, cell phones, bartenders, dishes etc, then go to Mezz. This harkens back to the old true New York and Chicago listening bars where you go to listen to music. This is how it goes, they play in two "sets" one at 8pm and one at 10pm. Once the set starts, they don't seem to seat any more people but you can sit at the beautiful bar and wait for the next set and still hear the music. Once you get upstairs to be seated, there is cover charge of $15 which I thought was a bit steep for Charleston (after all isn't Chicago) but I understand they need to pay the band and there was NO drink minimum or anything. We got there too late for the 8pm set and had to wait for the 10pm set. The staff, hostesses, bartender and server were just fantastic. They even let us take up a table in their beautiful street front dining room even tho they knew were had just come from dinner. They got us drinks, made us feel very comfortable and then took us upstairs to be seated for the music. A beautifully lighted stage and seating area designed for comfort, charm and quiet enjoyment of the sounds of bass, trumpet, sax, keys along with another smaller bar, equally as warm and well designed. They start by asking to silence your cell phones (too bad in this society people still have to be told that, but oh well, glad he did), you can still get some food at that time if you like and of course the bar is open. Beautiful place, cool jazz, wonderful location right on the corner of Wentworth and King. Floor to ceiling windows beautifully draped and framed. I want to go back for dinner or lunch one day. Love the decor and spirit. First drink we ordered was the wrong one and they were great about taking it back and getting it right and took off the charge for it. My only issue is the 10pm set did not start till 10:15pm; noo that that is huge deal but when you are paying $15, I think the band should start on time. The band was sitting around the talking and relaxing so I"m not sure why they chose to make the people paying their salary wait but the Charles Singleton Group was fantastic.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Food here was delicious, well prepared and served attentively by the staff. Great location in downtown Charleston and a nice bonus to add jazz on Friday and Saturday nights.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We ate here with friends, had reservations and were seated promptly. The restaurant is beautifully decorated, but I will have to agree with a previous reviewer..the seat covers were very dirty and unappetizing. The dinner and presentation was very nice, but my food was not hot and my husband noted later in the evening that his scallops were cold. No one else seemed to have that complaint. Our biggest disappointment was the dessert menu. We were all set to order something scrumptious and there were only 3 choices as they were out of the fourth. The plus side to Sermet's is that it is quiet and the staff very professional. I would definitely try it again.

1  Thank NoFo
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

It was funny to see the review about the slip covers! That was exactly what I said when I walked in! They are nasty!! We had brunch and it was good! We ordered a bottle of wine and the waitress brought out 2 glasses and when we said we ordered a bottle she just smiled and asked to take our order! Guess we really didn't need it anyway!! Brunch was good and the portions were large! We would go back for dinner !!

1  Thank 757Canes1