“Deli Fun for the Whole Family”
Review of East Bay Deli

East Bay Deli
Ranked #214 of 926 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$1 - US$12
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Description: East Bay Deli opened on September 11, 2001; a terrible day for America and hard day to start a business. Nonetheless, we’ve continued on; and over the last decade, we’ve become a popular place to eat for Charleston’s locals and tourists alike. East Bay Deli is a New York style deli with a distinctive southern flair that offers traditional deli favorites as well as a variety of salads, healthy sandwiches and wraps. Our food is fresh, deli-cious, affordable, and we’ve got something for every taste.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Deli Fun for the Whole Family”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Okay, I admit that I'm a deli snob, having grown up at the delis of New York, so I'm always interested in checking out ones like the East Bay, no matter where they are, Los Angeles, Paris, Toronto, Sydney, wherever. Well, the first thing to note about this place is that it doesn't proclaim itself as a "New York Deli." Besides the presence of Dr. Brown's products (but unfortunately not Cel-Ray), the only connection to The City that you'll see is a reference to a "New York Style" pastrami sandwich. And sorry, no matzoh ball soup can be found here, just broccoli cheese, tomato bisque and perhaps another. All this being said so as to properly adjust your expectations, I'll say that this place is pretty good. The one we stopped at on route 17 into Charleston was busy, filled with kids, kind of messy... kind of like a deli. The menu board and paper menu were loaded with plenty of items, healthful and not: sandwiches, wraps, dogs, salads, burgers, sides and traditional deli stuff. Plus items just for kids. Good stuff. Given my roots, I ordered a "double stuffed" corned beef and pastrami sandwich on rye, plus some fries and cole slaw (photo), just like I used to at the old Wolfies Deli on West 57th St. At East Bay, the sandwich wasn't quite as "stuffed" as in New York, but neither was the price, under $10. In New York the price would have been double stuffed. The sandwich was good and the Nathan's mustard at the table was another good touch. The rye wasn't double baked, but was pretty good nonetheless. My mate had a turkey wrap which was pretty good, too (photo), and unlike my warm, juicy corned beef and pastrami, reasonably healthful. So, you wander in, make your selections at an ordering station, pay, grab a number and hang out at a table. No traditional servers, but it works great and the staff is terrific. Toss your tips in a jar. This place... and the four other locations around Charleston... has been voted "The Best Deli," and so far as I can tell, it deserves the honor, even without Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray.

• Visited January 2014

Charleston, South Carolina
“Best Sandwiches In Town!”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I go here all of the time. I keep my order simple with the ham and provolone on a croissant. It is absolutely massive and is probably the best sandwich I have ever had. I've also ordered their baked potato before which was pretty good. I don't recommend their bakery products because they aren't made in house and can sometimes be left in the display case for extended periods of time. However, the staff is usually pretty friendly and I like the atmosphere of the place.

Visited November 2013
Newnan, Georgia
“Very Nice”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Just had lunch here. Nice menu selection. Interior décor like a 50's diner. Food very good. My wife bought desert to go. Huge piece of chocolate cake, too much to eat. If you are on west side of town, this is the place to go for lunch.

• Visited October 2013