“Great value and close to Aquarium!”
Review of East Bay Deli

East Bay Deli
Ranked #83 of 936 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Delivery
Neighbourhood: Upper Concord Street
Description: East Bay Deli opened on September 11, 2001; a terrible day for America and hard day to start a business. Nonetheless, we’ve continued on; and over the last decade, we’ve become a popular place to eat for Charleston’s locals and tourists alike. East Bay Deli is a New York style deli with a distinctive southern flair that offers traditional deli favorites as well as a variety of salads, healthy sandwiches and wraps. Our food is fresh, deli-cious, affordable, and we’ve got something for every taste. Today there are seven East Bay Deli locations serving the Charleston & South Carolina area. For the last thirteen years in a row, we have been voted Charleston’s Best Deli and we strive every day to keep that tradition going strong. East Bay Deli has given the traditional New York Deli a unique southern twist. We’ve brought the best of two culturally diverse cuisines together to create a distinctive menu, and we offer a great meal at an affordable price. Where else can everyone in your family or group find their favorites? By going beyond traditional deli and offering burgers, hot dogs and French fries, as well as healthy alternatives, such as our salad bar and wraps, we have created a franchise business model that generates high revenues without creating a complicated operation.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Following rainy day visit to SC Aquarium, we were looking for affordable meal close by within walking distance. Very fortunate to find East Bay Deli a couple of blocks away. Good value, quick courteous service - an incredible number of sandwich choices. Recommended.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Great food and a good value!! Lots to choose from and a laid back environment. Close to aquarium/ft Sumter.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We were in town visiting and this place was suggested by our friend. We arrived around 11:00am. I realize that they lunch crowd is probably coming, very fast, behind us but I was not happy with the way the employees acted while we were looking at the menu. I felt rushed. We had never eaten there before and had no idea what to get. Their menu is extensive so it took us a few minutes to decide. We ordered our food and sat down. After sitting down we noticed their salad bar...which looked wonderful. My husband I both wished we would have gotten that.

I was impressed with how quickly our food arrived. I don't remember what I ordered but it was great!! Nice amount of meat for the price and the food was good. Everyone at our table of 5 loved their meal. Great menu, good food and awesome atmosphere. Only complaint would be the ones taking orders...they need to remember that not everyone is from Charleston and some people need a minute to figure out what they want!!

We will eat here again!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

A worker from the aquarium recommended this place. After doing a lot of walking, it was great to grab a booth and get some yummy food. The menu is extensive and even though it was Memorial Day (around 1:30pm) it wasn't crazy busy. Our wait to order wasn't long and it was nice to be in air conditioning. We got a couple of wraps which were filling and really hit the spot.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We decided to eat here after leaving Liberty Square from our Fort Sumter tour. It's a couple blocks away, and there was employee from East Bay deli passing out coupons to tourists ($1.00 off per sandwich).

We arrived just before the lunch rush. There were two things I didn't like: the extensive menu and the employees. The menu board is so extensive that it was almost overwhelming. As a visitor to Charleston, I'm not familiar with the menu, but with the lunch rush coming in behind us and the cashiers looking impatient and unenthused, I haphazardly ordered a turkey and cranberry croissant sandwich, while my husband order a french dip sandwich and one of my sons has a burger. About 5 minutes later, I approached one of the cashiers and asked if I could change my order (I noticed that one of the offerings on the PAPER menu was a 1/2 sandwich, 1/2 salad bar). She sighed and asked what I ordered and told me she would have to ask her boss. His answer was an emphatic no, which I thought was in poor taste, as our food didn't get to our table for about 10 minutes. The croissant was a bit flat, literally, not fluffy and fresh as one would expect from a croissant. It seemed to be thrown together quickly (there was sliced turkey hanging off the sides this way and that). I wish a little more care would have gone into preparing it, especially considering I wasn't permitted to change my order. My husband said his sandwich was good, but nothing to write home about. My son's burger was on the dry side, but he managed to east most of it.

Perhaps now that I'm more familiar with the setup of the deli, I would give it another chance. Hopefully when we visit Charleston again the service will be more friendly to tourists and a little more accommodating when the occasion rises.