“Family Travel”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Charleston
Ranked #56 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
“Family Travel”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed for three nights. Breakfast was good, the hotel was clean. The pool is small but there is also a hot tub . It was close to shopping areas, not terribly far from the beach and near a movie theatre.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Moss J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We came here on family vacation from 7/27-8/2. I had originally booked a hotel that was $1100 for 6 nights, but happened upon a deal on Groupon for this hotel, so saving $500 was definitely an incentive for me to check this hotel out.

I called the day before check-in to see if it was possible to check-in a little early as we were traveling from Atlanta, was immediately told no, they never allow anyone to check in early. I was taken aback by this as I've never been denied an early check-in from any hotel I've ever stayed at before it wasn't a big deal though, we just left Atlanta a little later.

Got to the hotel around 5pm on Sunday, and my mom has COPD and uses oxygen 24/7 and the lady at the front desk (an older white lady, I can't remember her name) was very nice and offered my mom a wheelchair for the entire stay! Major kudos to her and she was extremely nice and attentive, and gave us extra blankets, pillows, towels, and sheets as it was 6 of us staying in the room.

Even though the room was made to sleep 6, we were still quite cramped in there and we were there for 6 nights so we were all on top of each other essentially.

The room was not bad, the furniture was older and the carpet was dated, but the bathroom was very spacious and really nice.

The reason I didn't give this hotel 5 stars...

1) The cleaning service was not good at all. I understood that were supposed to have white glove service on the 5th day and basic service every other day...The only service we received was towels were replaced, and toilet paper was replenished. Our beds were never made, linens were never changed, bathroom was never cleaned, and our floor was never vacuumed the entire time we were there.

2) Breakfast was not good. They basically had eggs/sausage or sausage/bacon every morning and the sausage and bacon were so greasy and artificial tasting, it made me nauseous the 2 mornings I did attempt to eat it. I drowned the eggs in cheese and salsa so that made those edible. My suggestion: switch to just a continental breakfast if you can't afford better quality hot breakfast items.

3) The indoor pool had way too much chlorine in it. My eyes are sensitive as it is so anytime I get into a swimming pool without googles my eyes turn red. This pool the chlorine levels were so high, my eyes were blood shot red and I literally could not stand to have my eyes open for more than 10 seconds at a time.

4) There is only one elevator for 4 floors and towards the end of our stay, the hotel was really crowded so sometimes we waiting upwards of 10-15 minutes to get on the elevator to get in and out of the hotel.

Would I stay here again? Possibly.

Perks: Staff was very friendly and accommodating, Indoor pool was convenient as it was extremely humid in Charleston, and the location of the hotel was very convenient to all the places we visited in Charleston. The farthest drive we took was 30 minutes to Isle of Palms Beach.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MarvinBroaddus
Duluth
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Accommodations were fine. Breakfast was good but ran out of breakfast meat by 8:30. Stayed two days but room not serviced with bed made, towels changed etc. Requested extra towels before leaving to go out and never received them.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

1 Thank ArtSheldon
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as a stop off on a lengthy drive between Washington DC and Florida. We got to the hotel quite late, almost 10pm. It was quite dark but we found the reception easily enough. After the receptionist had checked us in, swiped our cards and assigned our rooms she said something quite worrying - "Our rooms aren't in the best shape." At this point my heart dropped as we'd paid and felt we were getting a bit of a raw deal. She went on to explain that the carpets weren't pleasant and that they were due some work.

It felt like a long walk to the room, especially seeing as there were people outside drinking and being quite loud. As we got to the first room, we opened the door expecting the worst and honestly it wasn't that bad. The carpets were a bit tatty in a couple of places but I'm not sure I'd have noticed without the forewarning. The rest of the room was clean, including the bathroom. We went in to our second room and it was pretty much the same, no real problems. It felt like the receptionist had made us worry for nothing, after her little speech I was preparing to sleep in the car, expecting the rooms to be awful!

The room was a little noisy in the night with the aircon and the fridge being quite loud. Also the next door neighbours were a little noisy too, these were the ones who'd been drinking outside when we arrived.

In the morning we got up and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. There were lots of different options for both drinks and food. I had cereal, toast and some fruit and a cup of tea (which wasn't great).

Overall it wasn't that bad of a stay but I'd not go out of my way to recommend this place to family or friends. Maybe after the upcoming work, whenever that happens...

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends