“Great value in a great city”

Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Medical Area
Ranked #46 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The room and service was great, ideal for a tourist base in the city, near to the tram stop so free transportation around the town and no parking fees a big bonus. The staff were uber freindly, and the breakfast was adequate to get you started for the day... the pool is a nice touch.
If I am critical of anything it is a problem not solely with this hotel but I found in most US hotels of this level to have window AC units which are soooooooo noisey, I know it is hard to retro fit a ducted system but splits would be quieter.

Room Tip: get a room on the south side it is quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
ChasHIE-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Medical Area, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Wow! A 5 star review from a Senior Contributor! We appreciate you! You mentioned one of the great things about our hotel that is often a challenge in the Downtown Area, FREE PARKING!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Medical Area

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We came into town to visit friends and found very few pet friendly choices. This hotel is very well located, extremely clean and very pet friendly. It is pricey for a Holiday Inn Express but the location makes it a very favorable choice. We were charged $25 for the pet and we were allowed to leave our dog unattended in the room (crated of course). The room was extremely small but again, clean & efficient. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FreedomBus

We are very proud to be a pet friendly hotel. We understand that pets are part of the family. We appreciate you noticing our extremely clean rooms and great location!

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I was in Charleston for a wedding at the Citadel. The room rate was $179/night, $100 more than the night before and I'm pretty confident nothing changed to make that room worth that much more. I was booked into a King room. The room was small but adequate. It had a refrigerator and a coffee maker. The bathroom was clean but small as well. I couldn't help but think that everything about that room was just small. The one HUGE downer was the noise. The air conditioner was so loud that I was really glad that I was in a condition to sleep soundly when I came back from hitting the town. It really is super loud.
The staff was SUPER SUPER friendly from the front desk to the very kind cleaning crew. The breakfast offered variety and was well stocked on a very busy weekend. If anything gives this hotel a 5 star rating it is the staff.
That said, the location is a bit sketchy. I felt safe but it really is on the border of what didn't appear to be a safe part of Charleston.
Though not located in downtown Charleston, the drive there was easy and the taxi services abundant. A group of us grabbed a taxi van to head downtown and he charged us $5/person. That was perfect!
I did not use any of the amenities (pool, etc) so I won't review that.
Ultimately, I would not have paid that rate for that room except for the fact that this occasion was super special. This is definitely NOT a $179/night hotel for the room, the amenities nor the location.
I would definitely stay here again but not for $179/night.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you giving our staff 5 stars! Rooms in Charleston are at a premium on weekends especially during the time of your visit. We are able to offer competitive rates just outside the Historic District and close to The Citadel, Brittle Bank Park, and Joe Riley Stadium.

Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

My husband & I recently spent 4 nights. The staff was always friendly & helpful, Rooms were updated & clean, located very close to downtown (around 10 min drive) However, the breakfast could've used a little work but, you can't expect a lot when it is free. All in all A great stay. We fully plan to return.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank DcnCjn

We appreciate your recognition of our friendly staff. I am happy you enjoyed your room and our proximity to the Historic District. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 19 June 2013

All of the staff was very helpful, conveniently located between beaches and in the downtown area. I read that parking was tight but we did not have an issue at all. Breakfast options were nice and easily printed our boarding passes in the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. We have a great location just a mile and a half from the Historic District and easy access to beaches. I'm happy you were able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast and business center.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

My main gripe - I generally want to sleep in a hotel, and I slept terribly here. The air con in our room was the noisiest contraption ever - woke us up every night of the stay. Coupled with the 4.30am garbage / recycling collection happening outside the window (we were on the 7th floor) it’s hard to be enthusiastic about this hotel.

I guess you get what you pay for (although it was nonetheless, not cheap). If you're not bothered about noise, the hotel was fine – clean enough, etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
ChasHIE-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Medical Area, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

I am very sorry for your experience. Our goal of course is for all guests to be satisfied and above all have a good night's sleep! One of our great assets is our location in Downtown Charleston near MUSC and the Historic District. Unfortunately that location does couple with city noises. If you would like to contact me I would love to talk to you further and try to make it right. I am happy that you otherwise enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

My sister and I visited Charleston for an extended weekend. I was very pleased with the professionalism I encountered our entire stay. I especially want to give a shout out to one employee in particular. All I know is that her name is Liz. She went out of her way to help my sister and me and never tired of our many requests and questions. She made our stay rememberable and I appreciate her smile and helpfulness very much. The hotel is new and I told the staff that I encountered to please keep up their helpfulness and courteousness. They all assured me that they will. I want to thank them all for memories I will never forget. They made my stay in Charleston delightful. I've never experienced a staff more friendly and helpful!!

Room Tip: There was not a restaurant, but not to be deterred, they have a take out service that brings you you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for recognizing our most friendly and helpful staff. We are so happy Liz was able to help make you and your sister's stay a memorable one.