“Pleasant stay, location and awesome breakfast!”

Holiday Inn Express Charleston Dwtn - Medical Area
Ranked #46 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed July 23-25. Hotel was in a great location for me being kind of a center point for downtown and going to James island. My children had a blast in the pool the rooms were very spacious and comfortable and the breakfast was great, just wished they served it a little longer! My only issue was the last day I found a food wrapper under the edge of the bed. I know it wasn't from my family because it was something we don't eat so housekeeping could be a little more thorough. Overall the stay was very pleasant

• Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Charleston Dwtn - Medical Area

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed four nights in this hotel and they were all very pleasant. The room was comfortable and clean. The beds and pillows were very comfortable as well. The wifi worked well and the cable TV was great for the kids. We were on the first floor near the pool and yet noise was not an issue at all. This hotel is not within walking distance of downtown, but that didn't matter since we drove into town anyway.

There were a few very minor issues, though. All the other reviews about parking are accurate. The lot is not large enough and it fills up quickly. We parked on the grass near the pool (and our room) 3 out of 4 nights. This is also the most crowded hotel I have ever stayed at. It made getting breakfast a little annoying, but my family and I got our fill. I would suggest they make a larger breakfast bar to accommodate so many people. Overall, a nice place to rest our heads.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
HIEDwtnGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston Dwtn - Medical Area, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

We appreciate the feedback about our hotel. Since we are one of a few hotels in downtown Charleston that has complementary parking our parking lot can get a little busy. We are addressing the issue as far as the breakfast volume is concerned. Please let us know if you are back in the area. Thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for several years for both business and leisure. I would say it is slightly better than average (not in a bad way). The desk staff is always polite and helpful. The rooms have always been clean and comfortable. Very close to the Citadel and the medical center. Not far at all from the downtown area. Great river views on one side. There are three things really worth noting about this location.

- Entrance/Exit can be slightly tricky. The main entrance from the main road is from a one-way street. Their sign doesn't exactly stand out from a distance. If you aren't watching closely, you could easily miss it until you are more familiar with it. Exiting isn't really bad, but depending on where you need to go, you may have to try and jump across a few lanes of one-way traffic just to get the right lane.

- The parking area is somewhat small. You could end up having to park in non-parking spaces or the lawn in order to stay within the property.

- The breakfast area can be pretty busy. It has quite a variety and usually fresh choices. It can have a few minutes of wait time due to the volume of people. Great stop if you aren't in a rush.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the feedback. We do have quite a busy parking lot. It is a great perk to have complementary parking in downtown Charleston, but the draw back is our parking lot can stay full. We hope to see you again when you are back in the area. Thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

On first view this hotel seemed ideal. Checkin was smooth and a warm welcome greeted us. We got to our room on the ground floor. It had a view of the car park which was ok if your paranoid about car security, we were not so would have appreciated a better view. The lighting needed attention and the air con was so loud we needed to turn it off. However the room was so hot we needed the aircon, hence I didn't sleep the 2 nights I was there. Bfast was good and we always managed to get a seat although it was busy. Would stay there again although there are so many more hotels to choose from!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Liana V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston Dwtn - Medical Area, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Liana V,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I'm truly delighted you liked our friendly staff service. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the noise from the air conditioning had caused you. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W

Reviewed 31 July 2014

To make a positive statement the day manger, Chris, did try to find me another room and refunded my pre-purchase without question. He was very nice.

The primary complaint was the exposed plumbing from the room above. You could hear the flush and contents go by...see attached picture. This is considered an IN SERVICE room that I was told had no complaints.

You can see the edges of the 'repair' had been painted so this was a known issue and a decision to leave *as is* had been made by management.

The hotel is 20 years overdue for a renovation. The rooms are noisy, in poor quality, the beds were poor quality.Worn carpet. Holes in carpet. The AC rattled. The grounds were shabby. Inadequate parking that was not properly lighted. Trash in the parking lot. Spring Street did not appear safe.

I rated the service above average due to the cooperation in the refund.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston Dwtn - Medical Area, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear NetworkM,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention. We would like to address your experience further, and have sent you an email with additional details.

Thank you again for your comments and for staying with us.

Connie D

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was a little leary based on some not so great reviews, but I have nothing bad to say about this place, other than parking was a pain. Front desk staff was great, very friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and spacious, service on the rooms daily left them like brand new, (which is great when you are rooming with three teenage slobs..errr boys. The boys loved the pool, was easy to get to anywhere from here, and the breakfast was great, lots of choices, and lots of food. Internet was good, quick and reliable all three days we were here, which is unusual for a hotel anymore it seems.
No problems, great stay!

Room Tip: we were in the river view on the 6th floor, nice views, no noise problems despite being near a busy...
1  Thank jenoshome
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We got a good deal on the hotel for 2 nights. Its older but is in a good location. Two lights were out and we needed more towels, but all was rectified when we asked. Our bathroom was small but we made due and the room was a bit dingy. Breakfast was good and there were healthy options.

1  Thank Zvillemommy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston Dwtn - Medical Area, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Zvillemommy,