“Good Service, Average Italian Food, Premium Prices”
Review of Mercato - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting
Transit: Charleston City Marina Transit, the Downtown Trolley, and the Charleston Harbor Resort Trolley all drop off in front of restaurant.
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We did Christmas Eve dinner there, with six of us and we had a variety of dishes. Overall, we give it an "average" for the food. The whole yellow tail fish special at $36 was overpriced and nothing special, so we wouldn't have it again. Scallops, spaghetti and meatballs, scampi, pretty much the same comment. The service was very good, and overall a pleasant, if expensive, evening.

MercatoCharleston, Guest Relations Manager at Mercato, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear JimBob Traveler, Thank you for both dining with us on Christmas Eve and taking the time to share your experience via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your candor regarding opportunities for improvement. We hope to have the chance to serve you again on a future visit to Charleston. All the best to you in 2014!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We had their New Years menu, so not the day to day, but the food and service were top notch. They gave me an extra large drink after my wine "sat for a few minutes at the bar" before they brought it out. I hadn't even noticed the delay.

Happily recommend it.

Dear Patrick R, Thank you for both dining with us on New Year's Eve and taking the time to share your experience via TripAdvisor. We look forward to serving you again on a future visit to Charleston. All the best to you in 2014!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I LOVED Mercato. First off, we almost didn't make it because we fell into a food coma after lunch at Leaf and slept until 15 minutes before our reservations. We called and cancelled, and then called right back and asked if they could get us in (even though we knew they were totally packed). The hostess told us "no problem" and I didn't even hear her mumble any profanities as she put down the phone, which is more than I would have done.

Our waiter was attentive without being cloying (it's killing me I can't remember his name) and the atmosphere was warm and intimate even though the restaurant was full. I will say, we were seated upstairs away from the jazz band, which was probably a good thing. I think downstairs it would have been loud for me, because I get pouty when I can't easily yap.

I had Veal Parmesan that I now dream about every day (and I grew up in New Jersey eating Veal Parm for every other Italian meal). If I had to pick a meditation word it would be VealParmAtMercatoooooo. As soon as I ate the accompanying pasta, I screeched "is this pasta homemade??" at the waiter, who, after they brought him back from his heart attack with the defibrillator paddles they keep in the back for just this emergency, told me indeed it was fresh. YOU COULD TASTE IT. Upon returning home after vacation I looked upon my boxed pasta with a disdain I know it could feel.

Even though we had no refrigerator back at the hotel I boxed what I couldn't eat of my Parm and had it again later that night and then a bit the next morning, eating it with my fingers like an animal.

Husband got the Tagliatelle Bolognese with Traditional Pork and Veal Ragu which he loved as well.

It was one of those meals where all the stars aligned. If we could only go back to one spot, it would be here.

Dear Avasant, Our goal is to provide a dining experience like the one you describe in your very detailed review. We are absolutely delighted to know "It was one of those meals where all the stars aligned." Thank you for letting us know we fulfilled your expectations! We look forward to serving you again on a future visit to Charleston. All the best to you in 2014!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stumbled upon this place as we arrived late in the evening in Charleston and were staying at the hotel next door. We were so lucky to find it. The food was superb - Italian inspired but with a southern twist. For example, I had osso buco, but it used pork shank rather than veal; the polenta was actually made up as grits rather than traditionally as polenta. The food was possibly richer than you would typically expect of la cucina Italiana, but the ingredients were excellent and fresh. The wine list was superb and had some lesser known varietals such as Barbaresco, which was great to see. The service was impeccable. We also went on a night when jazz was playing so the atmosphere was romantic and intimate. Can't recommend it enough, particularly when we searched and searched for something as good the next night, and found nothing that compared.

Dear Louise64London, Thank you for both dining with us and taking the time to share your experience via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your positive feedback and are very pleased to know you enjoyed dining with us! Thank you so very much! We look forward to serving you again on a future visit to Charleston. All the best to you in 2014!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The food was great when we finally got it. After sitting for 45 minutes and asking twice we finally got bread. It took more than 1 hour and 15 minutes for us to get our food and then one of the dishes the waiter brought out was not what we ordered. He was friendly enough but a complete failure as a waiter.

Dear paulette p, Thank you for both dining with us and taking the time to share your experience via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your candor regarding both the areas in which we fulfilled your expectations and opportunities for improvement. Thank you for letting us know the food was good. We are working to improve every customer service experience, and your specific feedback is helpful. We look forward to serving you again on a future visit to Charleston. All the best to you in 2014!