“Central location, lots of space, friendly on-site owner/manager”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
Lavender and Lace Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 April 2014

It would be hard to find a better location in the historic district. My wife and I had the Front Garden Suite; lots of space in a 'basement' apartment that was only a couple of steps down from ground level. It was clean. The two dehumidifiers completely eliminated any potential for mustiness. The owner/manager left breakfast things in the refrigerator for us to fix; they were OK, but nothing to write home about. The internet was down one evening, but we were told it was an internet-provider issue. I thought that the two emergency lights were a nice safety touch...until I tried them; neither worked.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank stan w
There are newer reviews for Lavender and Lace Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I had an awesome experience recently at the Lavender & Lace. Judy Brown made sure that the accomodations were very clean and well prepared. Our room was cleaned, (including bed made, bathroom and kitchen spotless) each of the three days we were there. The fridge was stocked with fresh fruit, pastries, and breakfast selections each morning. We have stayed at many B & B's over the years, but this was definitely the best B & B experience we have ever had!!!
Bill & Michelle McComb 4.16.2014 - 4.19.2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bill m
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We enjoyed the Front Garden Suite, which indeed opens into a small garden at the front of the house. The suite itself was commodious and wonderfully comfortable. Copious light streamed into the sitting room in the morning, so that I could sink into the couch and read in the morning while my honey prepared for the day.
The inn itself is embedded in the elegant and cultivated neighborhood south of Broad St. Simply walking a few blocks around Lavender and Lace was a treat in itself, although we tended to wander much farther afield. In fact, we got in our car only once, to eat at a restaurant across the Ashley River.
Judy Brown greeted us on our arrival and spent the better part of an hour making suggestions how to best enjoy our time in Charleston. In making those suggestions, she paid careful attention to our preferences. We feel very well served having followed those suggestions.
Breakfast was delivered to our room, which meant we could eat at any time, a definite plus in our case. On the other hand, for this reason we didn't rub shoulders with other guests, the only downside to this inn. The food was plentiful, and a quiche was particularly delicious.

Room Tip: The Front Garden Suite was a luxurious treat, although we suspect you can't go wrong anywhere in...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hume V
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed here in March, 2014, and it fit my bill completely. It is located on a very quiet, very NARROW street in Old Charleston, walking distance both to the Battery and to the downtown market. For me, this is important. Most conveniently located places are in a noisy location.

We stayed in the Front Garden Suite. It was quite large, had a firm, comfortable bed, clean linens, plenty of hot water, and was quiet. It has off the street parking, which is a big deal in Charleston. If you can, drive a small car, as you have to shoe-horn your car into the parking place behind the inn.

The innkeeper delivers a continental breakfast and some plates of cookies and fruit in the afternoon, and then you prepare your own breakfast when you get up.

As I said starting out, I am *completely* satisfied with this place. I got the best night's sleep that I have had away from home in at least 10 years, and for me, that is what it is all about. Just for kicks, after I checked out, I went back and read some of the "less-than-perfect" comments, and so I thought I would elaborate from my point of view. I appreciate having TripAdvisor ratings of places, and hope that I might help people select the kind of place they will enjoy.

Most importantly, this is not your "stereotypical" B&B. In my mind, that is sleeping upstairs in a Victorian, coming down and sitting at a long table with other guests, and having a bombastic breakfast served to you which makes your cardiologist have fits. Lavender and Lace is NOT that kind of place. You stay in your own apartment and fix your own breakfast. And, your apartment is downstairs, not upstairs. It is not in the basement, but, to be precise, the floor is about 18 inches below grade. And, Charleston is a swamp. I suspect that in the summer, the a/c will naturally take care of dehumidification, but when we were there, we needed heat. There is a programmable dehumidifier in each room. I left it "on" (i.e. cycling with the humidistat) all day while we were out, and turned it off at night, and we were perfectly comfortable. I am a noise nut, and *hate* humidity, and I was perfectly comfortable.

If I ever come back to Charleston, I will book at Lavender and Lace. I belabor all this because if you expect that you are going to wake up and come down the stairs like Scarlett O'Hara and be served Belgian waffles, you are going to be disappointed. If you want a nice, spacious, quiet, comfortable *apartment* which is conveniently located, and which has off the street parking, then I think you will like this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank W0nka
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed in the carriage house room and it was ideal. We had a living area with kitchen downstairs and upstairs was the bedroom and bath. We walked to dinner the nights we ate in Charleston and only used the car when we went to Mount Pleasant.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robstainedglass
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed for 4 days in the Carriage House at Lavender and Lace last week. It was lovely, clean, convenient, comfy, and cozy. Judy made us feel very welcome and gave an excellent introduction to the sites in Charleston. This is not a typical B & B - she delivers a continental breakfast the night before to your room. Although I love B&B's, I am not a big breakfast eater and way prefer this routine. This B & B is located south of Broad in a beautiful historic area and we walked to almost everywhere. If something was too far, there was a free trolley....not to mention the use of her free bikes!

Room Tip: There are only 3 rooms to this B&B. We stayed in the 2 story Carriage House and loved it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jjannotta
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was a great location that was in walking distance to the Battery, mansions, restaurants, etc. It was on a quiet residential street that gave you a feel for the history of Charleston,but had all the comforts of home.. It was enjoyable watching the carriages going down the street which added to the experience and we took many walks around the area (both day and night) to observe the variety of homes and architectural styles. This B&B gives you an opportunity to bring you back in time and see why Charleston is one of our favorite cities.

The breakfast was setup in the kitchen area of our room which enabled us to eat when it was convenient to our schedule. There were a wide variety of breakfast items including cookies and breads that we often eat when we returned at the end of the day.

Judy was a knowledgeable hostess that oftered insight into places to see, mansions/plantations to tour, places to eat and anything else you wanted to know about old Charleston. We would recommend Lavender and Lace to all our friends and it is very economical compared to other lodging in old Charleston. We sat at a table outside our room with a bottle of wine and enjoyed the tranquility of the area at the end of the day. We look forward to our return visit to Charleston and Lavender and Lace.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple