“Great tour and guide”

Gullah Tours
Ranked #45 of 230 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: On our GULLAH TOUR we give an interesting glimpse into an ancient culture of these mysterious people descending from way across da water. Gullah people are the direct blood descendants of the slaves brought to the Lowcountry regions of South Carolina and Georgia; including both the coastal plain and the Sea Islands. These peculiar people were brought to Charleston by way of cargo slave ships. Charleston held the largest slave market in the United States where the Gullah culture & language continues this very day.
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Alphonso knows his subject of Gullah and Charleston culture. He was humerous conversational. I would recommend this to all my friends.

1  Thank Jody B

Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was supposed to be a Gullah Tour, but I guess I never did really understand what it was supposed to show us. There was a brief orientation (sort of) to the language, but then the tour somehow never got back to the people. But I must admit that it was very interesting and reasonable in price. The van did take us to a number of homes and businesses in Charleston and we learned a bit of history. So it was a bit disappointing yet still worthwhile.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Alphonso does a great tour. We wanted to do this last time we were in Charleston but did not have time. This time we did. My wife and I were not disappointed. You are not going to get this information on other tours.

My wife also purchased and enjoyed his book "A Gullah Guide to Charleston" before arriving. That may be of interest to some people.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Took this tour with my husband and a couple of our friends and we LOVED it! My best advice: have no expectation and prepare to enjoy yourself. Mr. Brown is a bonafide class act with firsthand Gullah experience, heritage, and family history.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

This is a great treat if you have time during your stay in Charleston. Took my two Aunts over Labor Day weekend and we all had a blast. The bus is very clean and the guide is interactive and entertaining. Excellent value! Thanks Mr. Brown