“Alphanso's Gullah Tour was GREAT”
Review of Gullah Tours

Gullah Tours
Ranked #37 of 224 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: On our GULLAH TOUR we give an interesting glimpse into an ancient culture of these mysterious people descending from way across da water. Gullah people are the direct blood descendants of the slaves brought to the Lowcountry regions of South Carolina and Georgia; including both the coastal plain and the Sea Islands. These peculiar people were brought to Charleston by way of cargo slave ships. Charleston held the largest slave market in the United States where the Gullah culture & language continues this very day.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Alphanso's Gullah Tour was GREAT”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I wasn't sure I wanted to take a GullahTour, however my friends from SC recommended this tour. It was enlightening, entertaining, informative, and fun! This tour and the personal attention from Alphonso exceeded my expectations. Because of the Gullah language, you need to pay close attention to what is being said. If you or others are talking in the back of the bus, you just aren't going to "get-it!" There is so much history and it was such an enjoyable trip. I loved the spontanaity of Alphonso. My impression is that no two trips will ever be exactly the same.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank safetylisa

Knoxville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great tour and guide”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Alphonso knows his subject of Gullah and Charleston culture. He was humerous conversational. I would recommend this to all my friends.

1 Thank Jody B
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
166 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 175 helpful votes
“Pretty Good Tour ... Not Great”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was supposed to be a Gullah Tour, but I guess I never did really understand what it was supposed to show us. There was a brief orientation (sort of) to the language, but then the tour somehow never got back to the people. But I must admit that it was very interesting and reasonable in price. The van did take us to a number of homes and businesses in Charleston and we learned a bit of history. So it was a bit disappointing yet still worthwhile.

Whippany, New Jersey
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Not your run of the mill tour”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Alphonso does a great tour. We wanted to do this last time we were in Charleston but did not have time. This time we did. My wife and I were not disappointed. You are not going to get this information on other tours.

My wife also purchased and enjoyed his book "A Gullah Guide to Charleston" before arriving. That may be of interest to some people.

Visited September 2013
“Utterly informative and entertaining!”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Took this tour with my husband and a couple of our friends and we LOVED it! My best advice: have no expectation and prepare to enjoy yourself. Mr. Brown is a bonafide class act with firsthand Gullah experience, heritage, and family history.