“Fantastic Tour!”

Gullah Tours
Ranked #38 of 224 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: On our GULLAH TOUR we give an interesting glimpse into an ancient culture of these mysterious people descending from way across da water. Gullah people are the direct blood descendants of the slaves brought to the Lowcountry regions of South Carolina and Georgia; including both the coastal plain and the Sea Islands. These peculiar people were brought to Charleston by way of cargo slave ships. Charleston held the largest slave market in the United States where the Gullah culture & language continues this very day.
Tustin, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic Tour!”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This was my first visit to Charleston and I'm glad I started it with Gullah Tours. Led by the lively and informative Alphonso Brown, we learned the fascinating history of the Holy City in two hours. Compared to the carriage tour we took the next day, this was far superior. Mr. Brown is humorous and personable and knows his history. The cost is only $18 which you pay at the end direct to the driver (Mr. Brown). You can book ahead or buy elsewhere but it will cost you $2 more.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Diane T

VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent! This Tour Fills In The Gaping Holes of Charlestons True History!”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was able to bring my Grandparents out on this tour a few weeks back and they and I thoroughly enjoyed the non-mainstream facts and history that put the pieces together as to how Charleston came to be what it is. We had taken another tour prior to this one and only after taking this tour could we see how the true history of Charleston is watered down or outright hidden from its visitors. I don't know what the last reviewer was thinking but this tour was willing to take us and show us places that most would not have dared to reveal. If you want fairy tale cookie cutter history then this may not be the tour for you. But if you are an American who appreciates all parts of American History then this will be right up your alley. All in all, I guarantee that you will leave with a more thorough understanding and even more respect for the city nicknamed the "Holy City".

2 Thank Mich K
Salinas, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Don't do it”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Complete lack of Gullah history . . . whatever that is: we never learned. Too much chit chat and very limited historical facts relating to the Gullah. A carriage or walking tour offers much more history, of which we did both. Read reviews on other websites to get a real clear picture of what you won't get. It may only be $20 but I would much prefer to have the lost 2.5 hours of my life back. Couldn't recommend it. The pressure to donate or purchase certain items at the last tour stop was not appreciated.

5 Thank worknaked
Hope Mills, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Charleston Visit”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Our day began with a drive to Charleston and parking in the Visitor Center on Meeting Street which we found out if you have a handicap decal, parking is free as long as the person with the disability is in the car. You may have to show ID. We met Mr Brown, who was waiting outside his vehicle and greeting and verifying people prior to getting on the bus. He leaves on time so if you are a person that is normally always late, you will be left. The tour is 2 hours long, going through the city of Charleston. Mr Brown is very knowledgeable about the history of Charleston and I enjoyed the stories. We did stop at the Late Mr Simmons' house, the famous man known for shoeing horses, designing/fabricating window grills, gates, stair railing, balconies and gazebos. What was surprising is you only pay if you enjoyed the tour, I would find it surprising if you didn't enjoy the tour. One downfall, is wish some of the stops you could get out and take pictures. After the tour we jumped on the shuttle bus, which was free. If you never been to Charleston, take the shuttle ride a loop around so you can see where you may want to go, then get off. Don't know how long the shuttle runs but you can't beat free and alleviates driving all aloud looking for a parking spot. After the shuttle ride we stopped at Hyman's enjoyed very much. After eating we went to market place looked around and caught the shuttle back to the meeting center where we departed to Charleston Airforce Base Hotel. If you are military affiliated and if the have rooms available and you don't mind driving about 25 min suggest you stay here. Only downsize tv doesn't have cable so bring your hdmi or VGA you can watch netflix or internet tv on your tablet.

1 Thank Linda W
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Alphanso's Gullah Tour was GREAT”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I wasn't sure I wanted to take a GullahTour, however my friends from SC recommended this tour. It was enlightening, entertaining, informative, and fun! This tour and the personal attention from Alphonso exceeded my expectations. Because of the Gullah language, you need to pay close attention to what is being said. If you or others are talking in the back of the bus, you just aren't going to "get-it!" There is so much history and it was such an enjoyable trip. I loved the spontanaity of Alphonso. My impression is that no two trips will ever be exactly the same.

Visited August 2013