“great value”

GreenLeadersBronze level
oakland, CA
“great value”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

good location. parking was included. staff was friendly, including the doormen!
bed was comfortable, 4 poster beds! thick towels. good shower head.

the only problem was no exhaust fan in the bathroom.

be sure to check in on yelp for your free package of benne wafers!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank vagabond4
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for being both a Yelp and a TripAdvisor contributor! I realize there are many hotel options in Charleston, so this really helps others make a sound decision for booking a reservation! Thanks again and have a pleasant day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
Delaware
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Hubby and I came here for a mini-getaway and we couldn't have been more pleased. The location was 15 mins from the airport and we had a rental car (Enterprise, for the win). Driving from the airport was easy...we didn't get lost. Parking at this property is pretty good...there are about 30 parking spaces total. One night, since there are renovations going on, we had to park in the overflow parking across the street. No biggie...it's directly across the street.

Check-in was simple. Jessica who checked us in was helpful and friendly. Tristan, the doorman (I believe I got his name right) had a great sense of humorous and was very polite. The property itself is good-looking...modern, clean and fresh. Good lighting, comfortable layout.

The elevators and hallways were clean and quiet. I hardly heard people opening and closing their doors. I couldn't hear footsteps or talking unless someone was passing directly in front of our door.

Our room, which was on the 3rd floor and overlooked Hassel St., was really great. It was a little smaller than what we are used to, but it was cozy and inviting. The temperature is what I noticed right off--very comfortable at 71. The windows are slightly drafty, but the heavy drapes drowned out any draft and some street noise. There was a desk on our room that we felt impeded our flow...we could see someone breaking a toe or tripping if not careful. The edge of the bed almost met the edge of the desk. We navigated around it.

The bathroom was spacious and clean (I need a very clean bathroom any place I stay), temperature in there was good, too. There was a dual showerhead. We didn't get a chance to mention to the staff that our 2nd showerhead wasn't operational. Water pressure was good. The towels were a little rough on my skin. No points taken for that though, but its something they might want to upgrade.

The bed was comfy. The pillows were great (there were spare pillows in the bottom drawers of the bureau). The tv had many channels and the remote was super easy to operate. Lighting was just fine.

We didn't get a chance to do the evening reception or have breakfast in the cafe, but next time we are there we'll check it out. Great property right in the middle of everything...we will return!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank MagMagoo
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you for the very detailed report! We appreciate you taking the time to share your Charleston experience with potential future guests! Have a great day and we hope to see you again in the near future!
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Great location within walking distance of College of Charleston, shopping, and great dining. The room was a little small but quite adequate. Friendly staff gave excellent suggestions for dining. The parking was free.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sandy L
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
We appreciate you telling others about your fantastic visit to Charleston! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our free parking, great location and super service! Thank you for staying with us!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Can't beat the location or the price or the free parking. We did pay a premium for New years eve and had to stay two nights, but we made up for it with the free parking and the nice spread at the managers reception. The location would be super for the summer with the outdoor pool (probably for kids mostly) right on market street. We'll certainly repeat if in town!

Room Tip: Hotel is U-shaped, so near the end will allow you to cut across the patio to get to the front office...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for starting the New Year out at the King Charles Inn! It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself in the Holy City! We appreciate you telling others about your wonderful stay!
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Location, price, and a terrific staff make this hotel a hidden gem in the holy city! The staff went above and beyond in meeting every request. The rooms were quiet, extremely up-to-date, and the bathrooms were exquisite. Tack on free parking and you've got a recipe for a great hotel. On top of all that, you're in a great location. Just 2-3 blocks from the market and great dining options and only 1 block in front of great shopping on King Street. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the glowing review! I am glad to hear you fell in love with not only our super location but the free parking and especially our staff as well! We hope to see you again and have a great day!
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My fiancé (Miss Mary) & I stayed this last week at the King Charles Inn and were extremely happy with the quality of the room, sleeping comfort, cleanliness & above all the staff. We were graciously greeted by the door man asking if he could assist in anyway, as well as introducing us to the front desk staff (Devon & David). Devon & David were extremely helpful in getting our accommodations ready & made reservations for dinner @ High Cotton Restaurant (a must place to dine). After returning from dinner we requested extra keurig coffee & tea for the room & were provided both after David did a quick search in the back. Our room was exceptionally clean, quiet & roomy. The maids were extremely polite & friendly and while checking out we got the opportunity to meet 3 more of the exceptional staff at this hotel ( Kathleen, Monica & Shalee). The staff is what really makes the hotel special & they deserved to be recognized. We will be making this a stop at least 6-8 times per year while visiting the area. I commend the manager & owners for hiring such qualified staff.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor & loved the peace & quiet, however after walking thru the corrido...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
I am delighted to hear we were able to make your stay more enjoyable! I certainly have some superstars on my team and I appreciate each and every one of them! Thank you again and we look forward to serving you again in the near future!
Rittman, Ohio
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Even though I've been to South Carolina and Charleston a few times before, I never had the pleasure of staying in a historic downtown district hotel. This past weekend, I stayed at the King Charles with my husband and mother in law. She had stayed here previously and enjoyed it, so we bit the bullet on the somewhat higher price that you'll pay regardless for a downtown hotel. However, it was certainly the least expensive price I had seen (excluding the Days Inn which we examined and did not like the small, hard beds). The King Charles also included parking in their price, which was great. I'm not sure how much parking they have, because we stayed in the off season and barely got a spot.

Anyway, the check in was fantastic. The front desk staff were all impeccable and also acted as a full concierge if we wanted a dinner reservation or tour assistance. We like to explore on foot, so we just asked them to point us in a good direction. The room was also nice - I really enjoyed the decor. My only complaint was the bed. For two people, it was a squeeze. My husband and I are both average build, and we could barely move. It was also probably the least comfortable bed I slept on in the four different hotels I stayed in on this trip. However, it wasn't terrible ... Just not a good nights sleep.

Overall, I would probably stay here again because the price and location were very good and the staff was great. Anywhere else would've cost quite a bit more, plus parking. Enjoy the historic district! I'm so glad we stayed within walking distance to everything.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank soyduck
Thank you for the kind words! Your feedback is important to us. I hope you are able to return again in the future! Have a great day!