“Very Impressed!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Plant City, Florida
“Very Impressed!”
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

We weren't sure at first about staying at a Best Western. We tend to stay at higher end hotels, and I can honestly say I've always considered Best Western as a motel.

With that said, The King Charles Inn changed our minds. It's easy to mention that it's probably in the best location in all of downtown Charleston! But the Inn itself was magnificent. The rooms were very nicely furnished, comfortable, roomy and yes, just as nice, if not nicer than some high end hotels we've stay in. The front end staff was very friendly and helpful. The cleaning service staff was very good at their jobs and very friendly. We met our best friends for an extended weekend before Christmas, they were able to be in an adjoining room with us, and we both agreed that we loved our stay. We come to Charleston often, it one of our families favorite places to visit, and we've stayed in a lot of different hotels in Charleston. With the combination of great accommodations, friendly staff, location and yes price, we believe that the King Charles Inn I'd going to be our go to hotel in Charleston from now on. Thank you for helping make our family Christmas present a fabulous vacation.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lamays
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I am excited to hear you may return! Thank you for choosing our hotel! As of November 30th, we have opted to leave the Best Western chain and are now The King Charles Inn! This will allow us the freedom to provide our guests that added experience they are looking for in Charleston!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed there for two night in December, and were more than pleased with our choice of hotel. Free parking, great service, clean room and walking distance to every spot we were interested in. You can't go wrong. You can walk to Poogans Porch for the best southern fried chicken and biscuits.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed not only the King Charles Inn but Charleston as well! What a great city we live in to enjoy the history, shopping and especially the wonderful food! I am glad you ate at Poogans Porch, they certainly cook up some fantastic lowcountry food! Thank you for your nice review!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel is one of the best located facilities in Charleston. It's close enough to walk to nearly any attraction, restaurant or shop that you could desire. Staff are friendly, helpful and seem to enjoy their job. Have always met other travelers while there and shared a drink and stories during the happy hour. Parking is free, and located mostly under the building. I've stayed in several room types, and while some are smaller than others, all are perfectly adequate for a city where you'll want to spend every waking hour exploring. Have stayed here every time I've visited Charleston, and despite my want to try new places, I can never justify the switch.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for being one of our special repeat customers! Your business is important to us! Have a great day and we hope to see you again!
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I recently stayed here from Jan 10- Jan 13 2014. The hotel is perfectly situated on Meeting Street and close to City Market, a variety of fine restaurants (good food that won't break the budget) and shopping on King Street. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Parking is located on the premises and free of charge. The lot does get full, but I never had a problem parking my vehicle. If your a big coffee drinker like me, there a dunkin donuts directly across the street which was extremely convenient.
I stayed in a traditional queen room, and while it's not extremely big, it was more than adequate for me and my wife. With all there is to do in charleston, you won't want to be spending too much time in the room. The overall hotel is a nice clean piece of property and I did not have any issues during my stay. I would stay here again. Remember location, location, location.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SteveF9587
I agree, location IS everything. Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Charleston!
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This was our 2nd stay at King Charles Inn. Reasonable prices, close to everything, free parking! Hard to ask for more. Bell staff was at our vehicle as soon as we parked to help with a good bit of luggage. Room was clean and comfortable. We will definitely stay again on our next trip to Charleston.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scsunlimited
Thank you for the nice five star review! I certainly enjoy reading all the positive feedback our guests provide to others! I hope you can visit again in the future!
oakland, CA
Reviewed 17 January 2014

good location. parking was included. staff was friendly, including the doormen!
bed was comfortable, 4 poster beds! thick towels. good shower head.

the only problem was no exhaust fan in the bathroom.

be sure to check in on yelp for your free package of benne wafers!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank vagabond4
Thank you for being both a Yelp and a TripAdvisor contributor! I realize there are many hotel options in Charleston, so this really helps others make a sound decision for booking a reservation! Thanks again and have a pleasant day!
Delaware
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Hubby and I came here for a mini-getaway and we couldn't have been more pleased. The location was 15 mins from the airport and we had a rental car (Enterprise, for the win). Driving from the airport was easy...we didn't get lost. Parking at this property is pretty good...there are about 30 parking spaces total. One night, since there are renovations going on, we had to park in the overflow parking across the street. No biggie...it's directly across the street.

Check-in was simple. Jessica who checked us in was helpful and friendly. Tristan, the doorman (I believe I got his name right) had a great sense of humorous and was very polite. The property itself is good-looking...modern, clean and fresh. Good lighting, comfortable layout.

The elevators and hallways were clean and quiet. I hardly heard people opening and closing their doors. I couldn't hear footsteps or talking unless someone was passing directly in front of our door.

Our room, which was on the 3rd floor and overlooked Hassel St., was really great. It was a little smaller than what we are used to, but it was cozy and inviting. The temperature is what I noticed right off--very comfortable at 71. The windows are slightly drafty, but the heavy drapes drowned out any draft and some street noise. There was a desk on our room that we felt impeded our flow...we could see someone breaking a toe or tripping if not careful. The edge of the bed almost met the edge of the desk. We navigated around it.

The bathroom was spacious and clean (I need a very clean bathroom any place I stay), temperature in there was good, too. There was a dual showerhead. We didn't get a chance to mention to the staff that our 2nd showerhead wasn't operational. Water pressure was good. The towels were a little rough on my skin. No points taken for that though, but its something they might want to upgrade.

The bed was comfy. The pillows were great (there were spare pillows in the bottom drawers of the bureau). The tv had many channels and the remote was super easy to operate. Lighting was just fine.

We didn't get a chance to do the evening reception or have breakfast in the cafe, but next time we are there we'll check it out. Great property right in the middle of everything...we will return!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank MagMagoo
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you for the very detailed report! We appreciate you taking the time to share your Charleston experience with potential future guests! Have a great day and we hope to see you again in the near future!