“Close to the Action”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Richland, Washington
“Close to the Action”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The staff was friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. The room was clean and everything worked. Unfortunately we didn't take advantage of some of the amenities, such as their evening reception. Instead we went out to experience the city. The room AC/heater was bothersome, cycling off and on fairly frequently, but never-the-less we slept well. The construction noise from across the street was a rude awakening. Fortunately we are early risers. The room seemed expensive for what we got but we were within walking distance to many of the city's attractions. The next time we visit the city, we would not wait for the last minute to book a hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your Charleston experience with others! Our super location, friendly staff and clean hotel is what we pride ourselves on every day! I apologize for the "construction" wake-up call but I am glad to hear you are up and out early enjoying our fine City! Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Circleville, Ohio
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice for business. The staff has been extremely helpful and friendly. There is nearby construction but I did not hear it in my room. I have stayed in rooms 208, 210 and 212. I was gone by 7:30 a.m. Every morning so the construction noise was not an issue. I love this hotel. The beds are very comfortable, bathrooms are update and they have Keurig coffee makers in every room. You can bring your favorite K Cup and save some money!

Room Tip: Bring you favorite K Cup favors, each room has a Keurig. Rooms in the low 200's are best.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your loyalty! I appreciate the kind words and hope to see you again (and again!)
Have a wonderful day!
Vienna,Va
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

A construction pile driver at 8 am awful noise left after one night Hotel has an awkward layout. S mall rooms. Avoid this hotel overpriced and noisy. Arrived at 4 pm and had to wait one hour. They hàve.notices on the rooms apologizing for the noise.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 313164
I am sorry we did not meet or exceed your expectations. You are correct in noting there is construction on the corner next to the hotel. However, there are plenty of days there is no noise or impact to our hotel. It is unfortunate during your visit they started work early. I wish we had some type of control on their starting time, but it is beyond my control.
Your business is important to us and I hope this incident does not deter you from visiting us again in the future.
memphis
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I was embarrassed that this was my choice for a hotel and that my friend and I paid over $400/night for our stay. Staff was not especially friendly - other than our bellman. I can forgive construction noise from next door which I understand is out of the hotels control, but our room was dark, cramped and the carpet was wet in spots upon arrival- unknown wet hotel carpet?! Gross. In fact it seems like the whole place needed to be recarpeted. Also the A/C is old and kept turning on and off every few minutes. Otherwise our room was clean- what I could see since it was so dark- and beds were comfy. Yes location is good but with so many options in downtown I would never stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ellis38103
Thank you for your feedback. I understand Charleston lodging can be very pricey especially March-April-May during our peak season so I can see how something less than perfect would impact your stay.I am quite concerned about the problems you mentioned during your visit. We have been newly renovated and basically nothing is very old; I certainly apologize for your less than pleasant stay.
Deerfield, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Overall there is nothing outstanding about this hotel. The rooms were small, construction is going on next door and it was a little pricey for what it is.

The location was nice because we can walk to everything, but that wasn't enough to make me want to say at this hotel again.

We stayed at the Indigo last time and had free breakfast every morning and happy hour. The rooms were bigger and it was less expensive.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Kelli P
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for your candid review. I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. Overall, I hope you enjoyed your trip to Charleston. Thank you for your feedback.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I generally use booking agents and find that their rates are comparable with what the hotel charges. Not for this one though!!! I would rate the King Charles as just "so so" for what I paid through an agent, but "terrific" for what it cost to book direct - a HUGE price difference! Take the trouble to call the hotel before making a reservation.......you won't be sorry!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing this wonderful tip with others! Booking on line thru a hotel website or calling the hotel directly will always ensure the best rate is given! We appreciate your business and hope you enjoyed your visit to Charleston!
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last March and returned last week. They provide excellent accommodations. The hotel is located within walking distance of the historic district and there is free wifi and parking. Since last year, there is a new lounge area where one can relax in front of a fireplace and also a new lounge area where breakfast is served. The rooms are spotless and well decorated. There is construction going next store but that isn't a problem since one is usually out and about during the day. I plan to return again.

Stayed March 2014
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for making the excellent decision to return to the King Charles Inn! We sincerely appreciate your loyalty! I am thrilled to hear you are pleased with our newly renovated Upper Lobby and BREW Pub & Café! Thank you again for the nice review and we hope to see you again!