“Elegant and Charming”

King Charles Inn
Ranked #19 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

This is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. From the welcoming in the lobby to the joy of seeing our beautiful room, I've never been so impressed. Every staff member made you feel at home. Parking was free and breakfast was made to order. A comfortable lounge by the pool was a great place to relax. It's a short walk to the City Market and all the other sites of the city. It is a very reasonable price for such a classy hotel. I could live there! We will definitely return. Talk about Southern hospitality...this is it!!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for the wonderful hotel review! I am delighted to hear we not only met your expectations but exceeded them as well! I hope to see you again!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

The Inn is very quaint and the staff very polite and friendly. We arrived late at night due to flight delays, and someone was there to great us. There was a little mix-up with the number of nights we were staying, but it was quickly resolved.

Our room was very quiet with thick doors and walls. The hallways are just a bit rough with low ceilings - a little difficult to navigate if you are really tall, but the rooms had high ceilings and were clean and fresh. The mattress on the bed was comfortable (firm), and the heating/air conditioning worked well and kept our room just the temperature we wanted.

This is a perfect location for walking around the historic district or the market area. A quick 15-minute walk to the aquarium, and just a short ride to the beaches.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cam027
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

We sincerely appreciate your business! It sounds like you enjoyed your trip to Charleston and thank you for allowing us to serve you!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I would recommend the King Charles Inn, if for nothing else than the location. It is close to Market St. and East Bay, as well King St. The hotel is nicely decorated, and the upper lobby had quaint sitting areas to relax. The guest rooms were decent and clean. The beds weren't the best, but good enough. We enjoyed the hotel bar, especially the bartender Taylor who was always helpful in providing tips on where to go and what to do. They also offer complimentary happy hour snacks and discounted drinks from 4:30-7:30, but be sure to arrive early because once the cheese and olive platters are gone, they're gone. The free parking is a plus, and the hotel offers free umbrellas, which came in handy during our stay.

I'll preface this by saying that we arrived at the King Charles Inn after an outstanding stay at our hotel in Savannah, so maybe our standards were a bit high. Most of the staff at KCI was friendly and helpful - the employee who checked us in helped us get dinner reservations, and the valet offered suggestions as well. However, our last night in Charleston we encountered torrential downpours, flooding, and street closures. We took a cab back to the hotel and were dropped off at the side lobby door, under the covering, as it was downpouring. We quickly discovered the side door was locked, and waved to get the staff person's attention to let us in. She didn't move or say a word, and just waved her finger at the front door, which required us to go around the corner to the front, which was not covered, and get soaked in the process. When we got in, I asked what was wrong with the side door, and she said it was locked. After experiencing such friendly service everywhere, her attitude and refusal to open the door for us was shocking and appalling.

The next morning, we checked out at 6am, as we had to get on the road early. My friend and I had a discussion at the reception desk, in front of this same staff person, about whether to take the elevator down to the garage level with our luggage, or pull the car around. We opted for the former, and discovered we were trapped again as all the doors were locked. It was frustrating that she heard this conversation and never offered up the knowledge that the doors were locked, once again.

I understand that this was just one person's bad attitude (all the other staff were lovely), and that the doors need to be locked for safety reasons. That being said, overall, it is a good hotel, and the location can't be beat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ksher21

Thank you for the nice review. I do, however, apologize for the less than pleasant Front Desk incident. I am disappointed to hear this and I will certainly follow-up on your comments. Thank you again for choosing our hotel!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel is in great location - walking distance to many sights! The desk staff is very helpful, the rooms are great, and service is all around great. There is a full service, delicious breakfast with a very friendly staff, always courteous and helpful. The upstairs lobby is a great place to lounge while waiting for your group to gather or just relax after a long day of sightseeing. I would highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Charleston.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Thank you for the nice review! Here at the hotel, we are very proud of our little boutique on Meeting Street with its great location and friendly staff. I am so happy to hear you had a great time!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed only one night while visiting the College, wish I could have stayed longer. Travelled with my daughter so I booked a room with 2 beds. When we arrived at 6:30pm, front desk staff advised that the hotel was full and they had no more double rooms so they had given us a king room and brought in a rollaway. Not a problem for us, I told them we were fine sharing a king bed. Within 5 minutes someone was there to remove the rollaway and get it out of the way. Nice.

All of the staff were absolutely charming, answering all our questions and giving us multiple suggestions for meals. We checked out early in the morning but wanted to be able to walk around for a while after touring the school, and they said we could leave our car in the hotel garage until 4pm. Nice again, as parking in Charleston can be a challenge. We really appreciated the courtesy.

The room was spacious although a little dark because it faced the interior of the building, but you're in a city. No big deal. We did not experience ANY of the construction noise noted by others. If anything, the only noise I found bothersome was the on and off of the heating system during the night.

The bathroom was lovely and well-appointed, with Gilchrist and Soames toiletries and thick, fluffy towels. There is a decent size fridge if you need it, and the hotel provides complimentary bottles of water in the room. But I think my favorite feature of the room was the outlet on the wall above the bedside table! How often do you have to search a hotel room for an outlet to charge your phone, finally resorting to moving the furniture to get to one? Me too. Not here. Nice.

I would absolutely stay here again!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank farawayNJ
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

WOW! Thank you for the five star review! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feedback with others! I'm so happy that the King Charles Inn was just what you were looking for!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed there one night before moving to another hotel last week (last minute decision to fly to CHS early!). From the time we checked in until we left, it was nothing but wonderful. Staff very helpful and friendly and the hotel itself is so well decorated with lots of little nooks to just sit and watch the world go by. Very easy walking to most everything and tons of restaurants in the area. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit! Hopefully, we will see you again!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I really thought this was a wonderful hotel except that there is major construction going on next door. I woke up the next morning to pounding from machinery at 8:00 am. Unfortunately this additional feature isn't included in the hotels advertisements. I believe that guests that book this hotel should be informed of the construction next door before booking the hotel or the rates should reflect the fact that the conditions are far from ideal. I believe that this construction will continue on for several months and thought the public should be advised.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martha H
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your visit despite the construction going on next door. Because the noise and work is intermittent, we do not want to post this on our website and deter future business. There are days they do not work at all and plenty of days there is zero noise. I apologize that this interfered with your vacation.
Thank you for your honest feedback.