“Nice but....”

King Charles Inn
Ranked #19 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel and it was clean and comfortable. The staff was very nice and helpful. It is centrally located, in fact the free bus around town stops just across the street. Even though it was very hot while we were there, we didn't use the pool it is very small. That was a disappointment after our hotel in Savannah with a beautiful pool. My only complaint was that when I booked the rooms we were quoted 1 price for a tour package that included the boat to Fort Sumter, a horse pulled wagon tour and a gift certificate towards dinner. Unfortunately I didn't notice the price for the package was more than double what I was quoted until we were checking out. Management's response to my questioning was you signed the papers when you arrived, which I had. So with this hotel - buyer beware! Check you paperwork when you arrive very well. Disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelingsisterPa
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

I sincerely apologize for any confusion with the Experience Package when booking. Please know that the components of the package themselves are almost $100. It included the Carriage Ride tickets, Ft. Sumter tickets and $25 Restaurant Gift Certificate + the discounted Room Rate. I appreciate your nice compliments about the hotel and hope you enjoyed Charleston.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me personally.
Maureen Sheridan
General Manager (843) 723-7451

There are newer reviews for King Charles Inn

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights last week. We loved the location as it is so close to everything you need in the historic area of Charleston. The employees were top notch. The rooms were very clean. The pool was great as it was very hot the 2 days we were there. I would definitely recommend The King Charles Inn to anyone planning a trip to Charleston!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your Charleston experience with others! I appreciate your positive feedback and will certainly share your Housekeeping compliments with my staff! Thank you again and have a pleasant day!

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

The location is pretty great, the hotel rooms are clean and the pool is nice.

But don't let the pretty picture fool you, even with the nice facade it's still a Best Western hotel.

The staff is professional enough,but not overly helpful. The rooms are pretty small and the hallways are very dim and grungy.

Our experience wasn't bad. But, between their online pics and the online concierge they offer their visitors, prior to the visit, I just expected more.

Important to note, while the 2 double beds easily fit my family of four (2 in each bed), there simply isn't enough space in the room for the four of us (2 kids and 2 adults) to move around comfortably.

As long as you go in expecting nothing beyond what you would get at your standard Best Western hotel visit, you'll be fine. Looking for more? Go somewhere else.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank drcortez

Thank you for the candid review. I am disappointed to hear we did not exceed your expectations. I am glad however, you found our hotel to be clean and were able to take advantage of our great location in the Historic District. Thank you and have a nice day!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have stayed at the King Charles Inn in Charleston several times and each visit has been an excellent experience. Our trip this year involved family with 3 rooms and the staff went out of the way to make sure we were located close to each other. Everything about our visit there was a great experience.

Room Tip: Very close to the market and lots of excellent restaurants within walking distance.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bill N

Thank you for your loyalty! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit! We hope to see you again next year!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Can't say enough about our stay! We felt welcome from the time we pulled up until we packed up. The staff was so accommodating, the manager is all hands on, everyone goes the extra mile to make you feel at home. The rooms are comfortable with extra touches. The location could not be better. We originally were booked for 1 night, left the area, and then returned for an additional 2 days, wish we could have stayed longer, you can't miss with this one!

Room Tip: Construction adjoining building, ask for room on opposite side.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank TravelingAmigo
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for the fantastic review! I realize there are many other hotel options in Charleston, South Carolina so I wanted to personally thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn! I also appreciate you telling others about your visit! Have a super day!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with 2 young kids and found it was an awesome location. Walking distance to market and shopping. With a stroller in hand we even walked to the waterfront. On site parking was great. Free internet was great. The pool is very small but it is a perk it is here. Lemon water down by the pool. The pool is overlooked by the bar/restaurant if that bothers you. It is down the block from jestine's, hayman's, toast, lots of restaurants. Bathrooms were nice and spacious although rooms were a little tight. Can't tell you how many times we ran into the big footboard at the end of the bed.

Major stain on the comforter but otherwise clean. Bellman at the door was always quick to open the door and welcome you back in. Concierge helped us to secure one reservation at an average restaurant. Front desk seemed a bit stumped on a kid friendly restaurant so you might want to research some things on your own! Great location and charm:)

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Dana N

Thank you for the honest feedback! I take our guest comments very seriously and though it pains me to hear of your Front Desk and Housekeeping experience, I see this as an opportunity to learn and grow. I will certainly share this with my staff. Thank you again!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed 5 nights and was very happy with these accommodations. The staff gave a big welcome as soon as I entered the lobby area. This is not a large hotel, but it has just about everything you would want, in a central location for Charleston. The room was large, nicely decorated and comfortable. Because I was traveling mostly each day I didn't get to use all the hotel amenities, but breakfast in the Brew's Pub was a friendly way to start each day. And after a busy day touring, I returned to Brew's for happy hour before heading off to dinner.

Room Tip: My room was without a view, but without noise either... I retired each night, tired from walking and...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roey M

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed BREW Pub and Café! Exceeding the guests expectations by offering a wonderful experience is what we strive for on a daily basis! We are very proud of our little gem on Meeting Street! Thank you for choosing our hotel!