“Best Engagement Weekend!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lumberton, United States
“Best Engagement Weekend!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the King Charles Inn for 3 days and the entire stay was absolutely wonderful. We got engaged the first day upon arriving at the beautiful Middleton Place in Charleston. I called the hotel to see if we could get an early check in as we had another 2 hours before check in time, and of course I mentioned our new engagement. Not only were we able to get into our room about 45min early, we also had complimentary champagne and chocolates waiting in our room with a handwritten letter from the management and staff congratulating us! The entire staff was wonderful and extremely helpful during the entire stay. The rooms were clean with new entertainment systems installed the week prior, free wifi, and the parking was free. The location was extremely convenient and we were able to walk a few blocks for everything we needed. I would highly recommend staying at the King Charles Inn and will definitely be going back soon!

1 Thank Chastity C
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
We were so honored to have been a part of this memorable occasion! Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn! Now, we expect you back every Anniversary! Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I recently stayed 3 nights during our anniversary trip to Charleston. This place has great reviews and did not disappoint. We were originally booked for two nights but a week prior to arrival I had called to extend an additional night with no issues. Upon the day of arrival we were greeted by everyone including the bellman which makes for a great initial impression.

Parking is a little tight as most people do not utilize their cars during the trip but always managed to find a spot. It is also free which is a bonus vs other hotels in areas. The room itself was clean and inviting. We had a king bed and the rooms did feel cozy as mentioned in other reviews but plenty comfortable. The only complaint I have is the pillows were way too soft for both myself and the wife. Also, there is a bit of construction going on at and nearby the hotel which was quite loud when sleeping in.

The pool is small yet never had an issue finding a lounger. The drink service was also quite nice as well and reasonably priced for a hotel bar. Make sure to take advantage of $1 off during HH along with complimentary cheese & crackers. I even had an opportunity to meet the GM Maureen while I was sitting on the patio having a cocktail. She was very friendly to speak with and it was apparent the customer feedback was very important to her.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying downtown. It is in a great location and allows easy walking to most restaurants/bars/shopping.

2 Thank tturaider07
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for the glowing review! I appreciate you taking the time to share your Charleston experience with others! Have a great day!
PA
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel and it was clean and comfortable. The staff was very nice and helpful. It is centrally located, in fact the free bus around town stops just across the street. Even though it was very hot while we were there, we didn't use the pool it is very small. That was a disappointment after our hotel in Savannah with a beautiful pool. My only complaint was that when I booked the rooms we were quoted 1 price for a tour package that included the boat to Fort Sumter, a horse pulled wagon tour and a gift certificate towards dinner. Unfortunately I didn't notice the price for the package was more than double what I was quoted until we were checking out. Management's response to my questioning was you signed the papers when you arrived, which I had. So with this hotel - buyer beware! Check you paperwork when you arrive very well. Disappointing.

2 Thank travelingsisterPa
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
I sincerely apologize for any confusion with the Experience Package when booking. Please know that the components of the package themselves are almost $100. It included the Carriage Ride tickets, Ft. Sumter tickets and $25 Restaurant Gift Certificate + the discounted Room Rate. I appreciate your nice compliments about the hotel and hope you enjoyed Charleston.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me personally.
Maureen Sheridan
General Manager (843) 723-7451
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights last week. We loved the location as it is so close to everything you need in the historic area of Charleston. The employees were top notch. The rooms were very clean. The pool was great as it was very hot the 2 days we were there. I would definitely recommend The King Charles Inn to anyone planning a trip to Charleston!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your Charleston experience with others! I appreciate your positive feedback and will certainly share your Housekeeping compliments with my staff! Thank you again and have a pleasant day!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

The location is pretty great, the hotel rooms are clean and the pool is nice.

But don't let the pretty picture fool you, even with the nice facade it's still a Best Western hotel.

The staff is professional enough,but not overly helpful. The rooms are pretty small and the hallways are very dim and grungy.

Our experience wasn't bad. But, between their online pics and the online concierge they offer their visitors, prior to the visit, I just expected more.

Important to note, while the 2 double beds easily fit my family of four (2 in each bed), there simply isn't enough space in the room for the four of us (2 kids and 2 adults) to move around comfortably.

As long as you go in expecting nothing beyond what you would get at your standard Best Western hotel visit, you'll be fine. Looking for more? Go somewhere else.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank drcortez
Thank you for the candid review. I am disappointed to hear we did not exceed your expectations. I am glad however, you found our hotel to be clean and were able to take advantage of our great location in the Historic District. Thank you and have a nice day!
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have stayed at the King Charles Inn in Charleston several times and each visit has been an excellent experience. Our trip this year involved family with 3 rooms and the staff went out of the way to make sure we were located close to each other. Everything about our visit there was a great experience.

Room Tip: Very close to the market and lots of excellent restaurants within walking distance.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Bill N
Thank you for your loyalty! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit! We hope to see you again next year!
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Can't say enough about our stay! We felt welcome from the time we pulled up until we packed up. The staff was so accommodating, the manager is all hands on, everyone goes the extra mile to make you feel at home. The rooms are comfortable with extra touches. The location could not be better. We originally were booked for 1 night, left the area, and then returned for an additional 2 days, wish we could have stayed longer, you can't miss with this one!

Room Tip: Construction adjoining building, ask for room on opposite side.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TravelingAmigo
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for the fantastic review! I realize there are many other hotel options in Charleston, South Carolina so I wanted to personally thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn! I also appreciate you telling others about your visit! Have a super day!