“They made it right” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chapel Hill
“They made it right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We booked a king room for a little romantic getaway for my wife's birthday. Unfortunately, when we arrived, our reservation had been lost and we didn't have a room. Turns out they had a server meltdown over the previous weekend and lost a bunch of reservations. Of course, my wife was bummed and i was anxious!

Maureen, the GM, came to the rescue. She arranged a room for us at a great hotel that was 500 ft away. She even had our bags brought to the hotel and let us keep our car parked at her hotel. And, she covered the first night.

I always say, problems happen. What matters to me is how the person or business takes care of you when they do. Maureen went above and beyond to take care of us. Consequently, i would definitely book a room here the next time i visit Charleston. And, from what we saw of the hotel, it's a beautiful space. And, the location is excellent -easy walking distance to sights, restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you so much for your understanding! It was certainly a crazy week but we made it through! I appreciate your kind words and we look forward to serving you again in the near future. Please contact me personally the next time you are coming to Charleston!
In the Spirit of Hospitality,
Maureen Sheridan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Seymour, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for our anniversary weekend and it was our first time in Charleston. The location of the Inn is great. We were able to walk every where we were wanting to go. This was just an average experience overall for us however. The room was average compared to other places we have stayed. There was a stain on the comforter that was there when we arrived. The first two nights and mornings of our stay we were awakened by a screaming baby next door to us. We have four children of our own but this trip was supposed to be our relaxing
quiet getaway. The room overall we feel was a bit overpriced for what we got. It's not a bad place to stay but honestly we will look for another place the next time we plan a trip to Charleston.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
3 Thank Missy C
I am sorry to hear your Anniversary weekend did not turn out as planned. Please accept my apology for the housekeeping issue and the noisy neighbors. I hope you will return again next year to allow us the opportunity to make it right! Please email me at gm@kingcharlesinn.com when you are ready to book.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Centralized to everything in e heart of downtown old a Charleston. Ok the pool is a bit small but the fact you can sit on the patio, sip a drink from the bar and your kids can swim without you putting your beverage in plastic cups is a bonus.

The staff were so nice and helpful. Always friendly and greeting you with w a smile on their faces.

Rooms were clean, crisp, firm beds, a little small ( due to the old layout and room size) but this was not an issue as we didn't spend a whole lot of time in it.

Walking distance to the Market, restaurants , shopping and pretty much everything so I know you won't go wrong staying at the KCI

Loved it!

Thanks for the great time.

Stay there again in a heartbeat.

Family L - Burlington, Ontario

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience! We are happy to hear you found hotel, pool and lovely terrace to fit your needs! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel has a great location with everything you could possibly want within walking distance. Staff were friendly and helpful, especially Taylor behind the bar in the Brew. There are a large number of good places to eat and recommend booking a carriage ride to orientate yourself. Manager is hands on and often checking everything is OK, any problems quickly dealt with.
The only downside, and it is the only one, is the building work going on next door. It has nothing to do with the hotel so have no say over the noise level. We were warned that this was happening but told it would be between 8am-6pm. Someone forgot to tell the builders because one morning we were woken at 5.30am with a delivery of building materials and the workmen usually started work around 6am. Hopefully you will have a room away from this and not notice but our room looked out on it.
Would still recommend this hotel and will definitely stay again when in town.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from building work.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a great review! Thank you for the kind words! It sounds like you really enjoyed Charleston!
I do however apologize for the construction noise next door to the hotel. I hope this incident does not deter you from visiting us again!
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Unfortunately, I arrived in Charleston during a rainy period. I would be lying if I said that the three days of grey skies did not influence my review. I will try to be fair despite the seasonal disappointment. I went to Charleston for a wedding and was very excited about the location of this hotel...still think it is wonderful. However, I had heard about the construction next door and was hopeful that the initial noise (breaking up concrete, etc.) would have passed. We were in room 201 (next to the elevator..nearest to the construction) and I do not recall having any disturbance from the elevator as some might expect. However, during the weekdays I had to keep the curtains in my room completely pulled....apparently, construction had made it's way to the 2nd floor! Hey fellas... If you are an exhibitionist...you'll love it. Not me so much. My guess is that the view from this room was never part of its attraction anyway...so I let that go. After viewing the market and taking a day trip to Folley Beach (must go to the peer...15 minute drive), attending a wedding and reception, and visiting nearby establishments I was ready for some rest before returning home. On Monday morning at 6:30 I awoke to hammering that could not only be heard...but, felt. My flight wasn't until 3:30 p.m. so I was hopeful that I could sleep in. No such luck. I really hate it for this hotel that the new neighbors are detracting from their greatness. That being said...I loved the easy to walk location and enjoyed the few blocks that I had to travel to great shopping, bars, etc. The staff at the hotel were EXCELLENT and the rooms were very nicely appointed. Go to the Brew or the front desk/concierge and ask where to go and what to see (Don't forget the $5.00 house wine during happy hour - California wine that has the King Charles label - very nice in my opinion). They were extremely friendly and welcoming to questions. Charleston truly is a place to see. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to return, with sun, low noise...and a longer time to take it all in.

Room Tip: Stay away from the side where the construction is taking place...if possible.
Green Features: Excellent staff...this hotel is small. If you are expecting the Ritz...you apparently didn't visit their website..
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for the nice review. I certainly apologize for the construction next door. I am sorry it affected your visit. I do hope however you had a great time at the wedding and enjoyed Charleston!
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great place to stay, comfortable, clean, friendly staff. On site covered parking garage. Located in the heart of the historic district within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. The Pub in the hotel has a manager happy hour. Rooms are clean and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Choose a street view otherwise you get the parking garage.
Green Features: Average would like to see recycle cans in the room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a fantastic review! Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments with others!
north carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

we stayed at the king charles for our 40 th anniversary. this was our first time at this hotel, we have stayed in charleston previously, so we had an idea of what to expect. first, the check in, it was done flawlessly, you can park your car off to the side while checking in, you don't have to worry about traffic while unloading. we did have to get a luggage buggy and take our luggage to our room ourselves. the room was very well appointed, new expensive furniture, brand new tv.we had a balcony room which was the only draw back for our stay. we went out onto the balcony, looked directly to our left and right, and you could see directly into two other rooms. very poor placement for the balcony and neighbors rooms. we had hopes of drinking our coffee out there in the morning, but we never went out there again. next, the room was expertly cleaned and restocked with coffee, towels, and toiletries every day. we went to the pool every day, it was small, but very nice and clean, it also had a deep end. the bar and lounge was just off the pool area, and the service from ryan and the others, made that part of our stay great. the hotel is located about two blocks away from market st., with free parking, with plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.it was a great hotel, well trained staff, good location, and i would recommend this hotel to anyone. d

Room Tip: don't pay extra for a balcony room, no privacy, and looks out onto the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clevelandnc
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for celebrating your special occasion with us! We appreciate the kind words and hope you will return again next year! Happy Anniversary!