“never again!!!!!”

Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Seneca, South Carolina
“never again!!!!!”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This was our first stay at the sweetgrass inn, and it will be our last. As soon as we walked into the room, I noticed a roach crawling up the wall. I didn't think to much about it since it was just one (you can find a roach in a really nice place). Later that night, we killed a total of 5 roaches, and found one in our bed the next morning. They were seriously everywhere! I lost count after that. I also noticed that it looked like the room had not been vacuumed in a long time. there was a layer of dust up against the wall panels and between the desk, dresser, and fridge (there was also a dead roach that looked like it had been there for a while). The room was obviously not vacuumed before we came in, because their was a hair tie in the floor next to the bed. There was also a day that room service never came by to bring us new towels (we were leaving for the day when room service was going by the room, the lady asked us if we needed services, and we said they did not have to make up the bed or anything, we just needed new towels and we never got them). I will say that the staff was very friendly and personable, but that can only go so far. I should have gone to them and complained, but I really saw no point since all they could do is move me to a new room and since this was the weekend of the 4th, I knew I would never be able to find another place. I will not go back to the sweetgrass inn !!!

Room Tip: If you have to stay there, ask for a room that does not boarder the woods, that might have contribut...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kaci F
SICGM, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to share their experience with us. We really do appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative as it allows us to improve. I only wish this guest would have shared this information during their stay so we could have taken immediate corrective action and salvaged some of their vacation.

After reading this review, I immediately contacted our pest control company. After discussing this review with me, at length, they immediatley conducted an inspection of every guest room to insure the property is pest free. They have been on notice that this will not be tolerated in the future.

I have also shared this review with our Housekeeping Supervisor. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our guest rooms. Obviously, in this case, we fell far short of our goal. We have retrained every housekeeper and tweaked our inspection methods to insure this type of oversight does not occur again.

Again, thank you for your comments. I wish we had the opportunity to serve you again so we can show you first hand the improvements we have made.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Ottawa
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My two young teen daughters and I stayed here twice over a 10 day period. Prior to the trip, we'd booked the first few days at the Sweetgrass, with the following few days at more "luxurious" hotel. Had we known the Sweetgrass was going to have perfectly fit our needs, we wouldn't have booked the other place, and as it was, after our few days away, the girls asked to go back to the Sweetgrass.

Very pleasant and helpful staff (even my kids pointed this out!); very clean grounds and a large clean pool. With kids, the free breakfast is always appreciated too. The location is fairly central to most things, and only a short drive to down. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank OttawaShar
Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to share their thoughts. We really do appreciate guest feedback as it allows us the chance to improve our efforts.

I was so happy to read that you and your daughters enjoyed your stay with us. It is our goal to insure that our guests enjoy not only their stay with us but their entire visit to Charleston. In your case it appears we came close to our goal.

Again, thank you for your comments. We hope to see you again.
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This was my third visit to charleston but my first stay at this motel. I had made reservtions in advance for two joinning rooms, when we got there thoes rooms were not available however once the desk clerk found out we had brought with us a child with medical problems she promptly arranged for joining rooms so that we could assist our son and his wilfe with the children. Her thoughtfulness meant so much to us. Linda who worked in the breakfast room was a total gem. She went above and beyond to assist us and everyone else there. With all the guest she came incontact with, she still knew my granddaughter by name.The maid who cleaned our rooms was very helpful as well. Every staff member we came in contact with was helpful, friendly, and yet professional from the front desk, to the maids to the maintance. They assisted with directions to attractions, printed thoes directions and gave discount coupons to the attractions we chose. I have stayed at three hotels including the high end Francis Marriott, but the staff at this hotel is what made out stay so comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank VICKYTOM82
We really appreciate when our guests take the time to share their feedback on our property. It allows us the opportunity to improve.

We share these reviews with our staff members. I can tell you that they were very happy when they read this review.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We hope to see you again.
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I recently moved into the Charleston area and had very little time to look around for a quality rental prior to arriving. Regardless of the fact that mg company had pulled relocation expense reimbursement last minute, I had to find an economical place to lay my head....especially considering I had no idea how ling it would take to locate my permanent living arrangement. I cannot express enough what an all around remarkable hotel the Best Western Sweetgrass Inn is, and the staff is some of the friendliest I've ever encountered in all of my travels. From the General Manager, Ms. Brown, to the front desk ladies, to housekeeping and even the breakfast attendant really shine with true southern hospitality! I realize I can be a tad bit high maintenance as a guest, and sadly have become accustomed to the negativity received in the sense of customer service. At the Sweetgrass Inn I was always greeted, assisted, and even followed up with in such a courteseous manner that I couldn't help but feel perfectly at home. Location is convenient to anywhere you may be headed to during your stay in Charleston, and even walkable to several popular shopping areas.
Hands down this has GOT TO BE he best value in the entire Charleston area. My brother and his wife are coming in this weekend to assist me with the final parts of my move and I have already booked their room of course my new favorite local hotel, the Sweetgrass Inn by Best Western in West Ashley. Be sure to check it out and be sure to let Ms. Brown know you decided to stay at her hotel as a result of the great reviews she's received on Trip Advisor!! I am sure she'd love to know!! Safe travels y'all!!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank chucktownchicforgood
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments. We really appreciate the feedback.

We look forward to serving you in the future.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Arrived early on the date of our check in to my surprise they had a room and allowed us to check in before 11:00 a.m. We found everyone there to be very polite and very helpful. Jasmine was very helpful with directions and things we could do on a rainy day. Check in and out went very smooth. Room was really clean and nice. Location was fine we used the free trolly that you can get near the hotel for one day and the other day we drove into town. I found that either way was fine it's not hard to drive from this location. I didn't get a chance to enjoy the pool but I did see someone cleaning and taking care of things around the pool several times during the day and It always looked nice and clean. The free breakfast was one of the best I have had well stocked and clean. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bam99
, Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
I am very pleased with this review. My staff understands that vacation is all about catering to our guests needs. We strive to offer excellent service and to go above and beyond what is expected. The guest services representative mentioned in this post was elated to see she was mentioned by name and appreciates you taking the time out to let us know you appreciated her service. Thanks again and we will gladly give you our best should you decide to visit with us again.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The staff is super friendly and eager to help. Even the chief engineer made sure to greet us. The hot breakfast was really and well stocked. Close to lots of stuff to do. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank timbo68
, Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to post this review. I have shared this with the staff to assure them there efforts are not going unnoticed. We definitely strive to do our best and appreciate the feed back. If you are ever in the Charleston area again we would love to have you stay with us again. Thank you again and have a great day!
Vancouver
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The Best Western Sweetgrass Inn lies a short drive from downtown Charleston. The motel also lies on a bus route and is near several places to eat and shop. The motel design affords quiet, because the reception/breakfast room building fronts the noisy street, and the sleeping rooms face the back and sides, with the insect sounds of the wooded areas out back providing white noise. The outdoor pool is gorgeous, edged with palmettos.

Included in the price is the "continental breakfast," which is okay, nothing exceptional. The orange juice is decent, and you can make your own waffles, toast, or instant grits. There's fruit , hard-boiled eggs, and low-fat yogurt as well as the usual sweet rolls, etc.

Typical for Charleston, the service is wonderful--the people here are relaxed, friendly, and polite. One day our room wasn't cleaned, and the front desk sent someone over within a short time.

Room Tip: For the most quiet, I suggest a room in the back building. If you plan to swim, the rooms around th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mersenne5
, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to share their comments regarding their recent visit with us.

We do see ourselves as a great bargain when compared to the downtown properties. I was sorry to read that the room was not cleaned one day. I have shared this review with the housekeeping team leader so we can put procedures in place to insure this doesn't occur again.

Again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to visit with us in the first place. We hope to see you again.