“Two days in Charleston”

Best Western Charleston Inn
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Never having been to Charleston, you can't our surprise and joy at finding the Sweetgrass Inn at the end of an 8 hour drive. Spotless, comfortable room with concerned and friendly people who seemed genuinely interested in our needs.

The close proximity to downtown Charleston without the higher cost downtown hotels/motels was a real find for us. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the Sweetgrass Inn is now a permanent part of our trips between Venice, Fl and Bucks County, Pa.

Thanks so much for a pleasant two days.
Charles & Nancy Shilling

Room Tip: First floor allows easy access to the car and the rear building is quiet. A clean PET FRIENDLY room...
2  Thank CharlieShilling
Bill R, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear CharlieShilling,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit with us. We really appreciate the feedback.

I was very happy when I read that you were pleasantly surprised by our spotless, comfortable rooms and friendly people. Our associates try very hard to insure our guests enjoy not only their visit to Charleston, but their stay with us as well. I am sure they will be delighted to read that their hard work was noticed and appreciated.

Again, thank you for the comments. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank Susan M

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We've stayed here a couple times. It's very convenient to the historic district at a good price, and has a very nice pool. I believe it's been updated in the recent past, as the rooms are clean and fresh. I wonder if it's not originally from the 50's or 60's as there are some rooms with high A-frame ceilings that are very nice, which you don't see so much these days. The next block down is a barbecue joint, owned by the Charleston Bessinger (NOT Mad Maurice of Columbia infamy).

Room Tip: Ask about the 'A-frame' rooms with the high ceilings.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BlaineDeLancey

Dear BlaineDeLancey,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. We really appreciate the feedback.

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed you visit with us again. Your guess was quite correct; the main building was built in 1958. I think the rooms with the vaulted ceilings are quite unique and was delighted to read that you enjoyed them as well.

Again, thank you so much for the review. We hope to serve you again.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I had no idea what to expect. I needed a room for my daughter and I to have a mini-vacation a couple of days prior to my daughters surgery at MUSC. I wanted to stay near Charleston but somewhere affordable and I found this Best Western Sweetgrass Inn. I was blown away by how nice this hotel was, the rooms are a little small but extremely clean and completely upgraded with new HVAC system and flatscreen TV's, etc. The pool is incredible with it's borderline botanical gardens so well maintained. And the staff!? Customer service you just don't find like that anymore. They were all wonderful, professional and accomodating. We will be back in Charleston and we won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Heidi S

Dear Heidi S,

First and foremost, I hope your daughter's surgery was successful and her recovery a speedy one. Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review.

I was delighted to read that you had a memorable experience during your visit. We do try to insure that each of our guests enjoy not only their visit to Charleston, but their stay with us as well.

Again, thank you so much. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Our queen size room came with a microwave and refrigerator. The room is good size. The shower was great. There is an extra sink outside of the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable (we like a firm mattress). The outdoor pool is quite large. Even though we were 'pool view' we only heard noise at the pool once in the two days we were here. So the rooms are quiet. A full grocery store and many restaurants are close by. Parking is ample. We liked the location because it was a short drive to both historic downtown Charleston and Folly Beach. The only negative is the breakfast. I didn't try it, but my husband said it was "typical mediocre packaged foods."

1  Thank RamblingRoses
Bill R, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear RamblingRoses,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We really welcome the opportunity to interact with our guests this way.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us. As we share these reviews with our staff, I am certain they will be very happy to read that their hard work was noticed and appreciated. I am sorry your husband did not like our breakfast. We will examine our menu to see where we can improve.

Again, thank you so much. I hope we get the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I returned home last night from a 6 night stay here. I came to Charleston to hear my daughter perform in the wonderful Spoletto Festival, and I needed a reasonably-priced hotel. I had researched this motel, and I found all of the reviews to be very helpful, and the property was what I had expected since everyone had been very complimentary. However, my stay was unique since I was surprised to find out while I was there that my home had been shown and someone wanted to buy it! I had no idea what I would do about signing all of the papers....So, I asked the desk staff if I could use the fax machine at the hotel. I did not expect their helpfulness, and willingness to do anything to help me! But...they were helpful over and beyond my wildest expectations!!! I TRULY HOPE they will be recognized for their friendliness and eagerness to help me! The only reason I did not give this property 5 stars was because it is a motel rather than a hotel. Pool was great; landscaping beautiful!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Dear lindacretella,

Congratulations on your home being sold. And, thank you so very much for the wonderful review. We really appreciate the feedback.

I was delighted to read that our staff was able to take such good care of you during your visit. We do try to make sure each guest enjoys not only their visit to Charleston but their stay with us as well. Obviously, in your case, we came close to achieving this goal.

Again, thank you so much for the wonderful review. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

This well maintained and attractive motel is right on the main road to take you into downtown Charleston. I stayed two nights. The room was spotless, bathroom very clean and facilities were up to date. I didn't expect the mini fridge or free Internet. The staff was friendly, accommodating and courteous day or night. Free breakfast too with coffee maker in the rooms. The pool looked very clean and the whole area was nicely landscaped and planted with palms.
Incredible deal but also a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Second level will decrease noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank emwenz
Bill R, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Dear emwenz,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We really appreciate that our guests take time out of their busy days to share this feedback with us.

I was delighted to read that you were pleasantly surprised during your recent visit with us. As we share these reviews with our associates, I am certain they will be very happy to read that their hard work was noticed and appreciated.

Again, thank you so very much. We hope to serve you again.