“Great place, good price”

Best Western Charleston Inn
Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Seattle, Washington
“Great place, good price”
Reviewed 15 August 2008

I booked a spot at this hotel because of the reviews here and the price for the room. The hotel is clean, neat and tidy and the staff and manager were very friendly (save for one front desk agent who was efficient but not very personable). The grounds are well kept, the pool is big and clean and the hotel is super convenient to Folly Island beach and Charleston historical district. An awesome value all considering.

The wi-fi wasn't so great, logging in was a bit complicated and you had to have a pop-up staying up the entire time or else you would get disconnected. The wi-fi signal issue wasn't a big deal because the room did have an Ethernet cord at the desk so internet connectivity wasn't a problem. You just weren't able to move about.

I'd definitely stay here again when visiting Charleston.

• Liked — price, location, Southern hospitality
  • Disliked — wi-fi
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2008
Thank you to this guest for writing such a wonderful review. I have passed along the comments regarding the log-in page to our wireless internet provider in the hope that they can improve their system.

We always appreciate such honest feedback as it is a valuable tool we use to improve our operation. I am sure my staff will be quite pleased to read these comments.

Thanks!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Upstate New York
Reviewed 2 August 2008

The price was reasonable. It was a great location. The staff both on the phone and at the hotel were exceptional! We would gladly stay there again!

• Liked — the staff and the pool
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2008
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to share their thoughts about our property. We aim to please each guest we come in contact with. Obviously, in this guest's case, we came close to our goal.

Thanks!
SC
Reviewed 29 July 2008

My family & I stayed at this motel for the 1st time and were very impressed!

When we arrived, (close to check in time) the desk clerks were very polite and helpful.
Our room was decorated very nice and the housekeeper was just finishing up in our room as we were checking in and she also was very friendly.

We missed the continental breakfast the 1st morning unfortunately because we overslept. But the following day we made sure to get up on time and were very pleased with the selection, cleanliness and freshness of the breakfast.

They offer a nice selection of bagels, muffins, hot cereal, cold cereals, waffles, juices, yogurts and fresh fruit and coffee.

The location was very convenient to downtown, the harbor, and restaurants.

The pool was nice & big, but was a little crowded at night with kids due a big dance competition in town.

For a family with 2 teenage boys this place was great!

We will definitely stay here again & have recommended it to family & friends also.

I wrote to the manager & raved about the motel, and he actually takes the time to reply. Thats the little touches that make this motel special.

• Liked — The price!
  • Disliked — The hallway outside the room smelled like urine
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 31 July 2008
I would like to thank this guest for not only their stay but their positive review as well. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations. It is great to hear that we came close to achieving our goal! I am sure my staff will be very happy to read this review. Thanks again!
TN
Reviewed 27 July 2008

I was happy to see that the reviews on this site were correct. I was searching for a reasonable rate that was close to town and found it here. One of the biggest things that sold me on this hotel was the manager taking the time to respond to posts! Upon arriving the check in was fast and the clerk was very nice. All the employees greeted us and were extremely pleasant. The room was clean and we really like that it had a fridge in it. The bed was acutally not bad for a hotel bed. I would definitely consider staying here again as it was about 5 minutes to downtown. If you are looking for an area that feels more touristy, I would recommend the Mount Pleasant area as it was really nice, but there was nothing wrong with our stay here. The pool area was clean and set up very nice. Check out was quick and the clerk made sure that we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2008
I am very happy to hear that this guest enjoyed their visit with us and would like to thank them for taking the time to write their review. As I have stated before, we value all guest feedback, as it helps us fine tune our operation. I am sure my staff will very happy, as I am, to hear their efforts are being recognized.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2008

It's been years since I have stayed in a Best Western property and since this one had been getting so many postive reviews on TripAdvisor, I thought we'd give this one a shot.

All in all, the location was super. It's easy to find right on Hwy 17 just west of the historic district.

Beyond that, I will simply sum up our experience with the old adage: "you get what you pay for" and leave it at that.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 12 July 2008
While I am happy that this guest found our location convenient, I am concerned that they did not fully enjoy their visit with us. As I have stated before, it is our goal to satisfy every guest who stays with us and to make sure they enjoy their stay in Charleston as well. I would encourage this guest to contact me personally so we can discuss what went wrong with their stay and how we can make amends.
Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 June 2008

After reading a few reviews on AAA I was sceptical but found that I had no reason to be! The room was great, clean, much bigger than I expected, had the one ammenity I love-a sink both inside and outside the bathroom to keep getting ready in the morning moving and it included a microwave and refridge!! oh and the A/C purred softly and was easy to adjust.

For $80 +tax a night, (how can you beat that?)

It is easily accessible from main highway and roads, the inground pool was a very decent size, the grounds were kept very clean and tidy, plenty of free parking and the personnel were very friendly. Very quick check in and out. Didnt participate in the continental breakfast (included in the price)

Drawback? Only complaint (if you want to call it that) was the towels were not the huge fluffy towels I love on vacation and there was no fan in the bathroom to help soak up the 'fog'.

• Liked — Microwave, refridge, sink outside bathroom, nice pool
  • Disliked — No fan in the bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewEnglander040
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 28 June 2008
I would like to thank this guest for their review. We always appreciate feedback, be it positive or negative, as it helps us fine tune our operation. We will look into upgrading our towels during this years budgeting process. Our goal is to make sure every one of our guests enjoys their visit with us and their time in Charleston. It is always a pleasure to hear our efforts are being noticed.
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed 20 June 2008

Went to Charleston for a 2 day family orientation at the College of Charleston. I took my daughter, son and my daughter's best friend. I booked this hotel based upon the great reviews on tripadvisor, the reviews were dead on. The check in was smooth, the price was right, the bed I could just sleep in all day, and the room was nice and roomy. The hotel was located conveniently to Kmart, restaurants and about 5-10 away from campus.

I recommend this hotel for family's wanting the Charleston experience without the Charleston price tag. We will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Great bed
  • Disliked — Having to turn left on a busy 4 lane street to go downtown
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Lightcarmel2
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 23 June 2008
I would like to thank this guest for their kind words. It is our goal to make every guests visit to Charleston a wonderful one. It will please my staff to learn their hard work is being noticed.