“Another satisfied customer at the BW Sweetgrass”

Best Western Charleston Inn
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Merida, Yucatan
“Another satisfied customer at the BW Sweetgrass”
Reviewed 3 September 2008

Previous reviewers are right, the hotel staff are very professional and efficient. The woman taking care of the breakfast area is a jewel.

The reception area of the hotel is very attractively set out and we really appreciated the PC provided for guests' use. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The TV, iron, microwave all worked fine. The bathroom, though, was small and the fittings looked dated.

The pool was excellent, very nicely landscaped, about 11ft deep and carefully cleaned every day. The breakfast was better than we usually find at chain motels, we liked the free newspaper and it was great to sit down outside and eat on the small terrace.

Getting into Charleston is no trouble and takes about 15 mins. The hotel is also conveniently placed for getting to the plantations. The area itself, though, is entirely commercial, and whilst safe it is essentially charmless.

But I'd say overlook that and go with BW Sweetgrass as they are obviously a hotel committed to providing high quality service at a reasonable price.

Stayed August 2008
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2008
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write this review. We strive to make sure every guest enjoys not only their stay with us but their visit to Charleston as well. I am certain that our staff will be very happy to know their hard work is appreciated.

Thanks again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Franklin Park, NJ
Reviewed 24 August 2008

First and foremost I give this property an A+ for friendliness. Everyone was a pleasure to deal with, answered all our questions, gaves us tips on what to see, where to eat etc., all with a smile. We were pleasantly surprised.

The hotel located on busy Savannah Highway but an easy 15 minutes from downtown Charleston. There isn't a whole lot to chose from in the way of decent food on this stretch of highway, mostly fast food and a so-so barbeque joint next door. Stay in Charleston and eat at one of the many excellent restaurants there. Other businesses within a half mile of the hotel include several car dealerships, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, CVS, etc., definately a commercial strip but in a decent area.

This is clearly an older hotel that was recently remodeled. The lobby was nicely decorated. A large fresh floral arrangement greets you as you walk in. Also in the lobby is a computer and printer for use by hotel guests. Walk through a small hall and you enter into a nice size room that overlooks the pool. This is where the free breakfast is served. On the wall is large screen t.v. tuned to CNN. We found the seating to be ample and each table had a complimentary issue of USA Today, a nice touch.

The breakfeast buffet was standard issue but well stocked and tended to. Bagels, yogurt, two kinds of cereal, danish, fresh fruit, juice, waffles, coffee & tea rounded out the menu. We are not big breakfast eaters so this was more than sufficient for our needs. If you're the type that needs bacon, eggs and pancakes every morning you'll be dissapointed.

The pool area was very nicely landscaped, lots of palms and flowers. Although we didn't use the pool it looked clean and refreshing. Many rooms overlooked the pool although ours didn't. If I stayed here again I would definately ask for a room with a pool view.

Our room was towards the back of the property behind the row of rooms that overlooked the pool. Our room overlooked the parking lot but quite honestly we weren't sitting in our room all day looking out the window so it wasn't an issue for us. The room itself was small but nicely equiped with a fridge, microwave, iron & ironing board, coffee maker and hair dryer. There was a small seating area with a table in front of the window.

The vanity was in the sleeping quarters while the toilet and shower were in a separate room. The bathroom was very tiny with no more than an inch clearance between the toilet and the door when its opened. When you open the bathroom door it actually looks like its going to hit the toilet, that's how close it is! In any event, the bathroom was clean and served its purpose. The towels were a little rough but again, they were clean and we had plenty of them.

We had two double beds. They were outfitted with three pillows each and an extra soft mattress pad. I myself perfer a firmer mattress but I give them points for at least trying to add a little luxury. The sheets smelled clean and fresh and in fact were clean and fresh. The bedspread also appeared clean as was the carpet. I saw no stains, cigarette burns, etc. anywhere. The room was pest free with no sign of ants, spiders or the dreaded cockroach.

Besides the small size size of the room the only other negative was the stale and musty odor of the room. In fact, we commented a few days into our stay that our clothes actually felt damp. Perhaps because we were on the ground floor and there was a lot of rain during our stay the situation was aggravated. We did find that if the a/c was put on "max cool" this helped alleviate the problem but then the room became uncomfortably cold.

I'm not sure if we had neighbors above or on either side of us because we heard no one, although I will say that the parking lot was full. This was one of the quieter hotel rooms that we've stayed in a very long time.

Overall I rate this property a B+. Considering we only paid $59/night I think it was great value. On the the down side the room was small and could use a dehumidifier. On the plus side it was clean, quiet, convenient, inexpensive & friendly. I would not hesiate to stay here again.

• Liked — Friendliness, price, convenience, cleanlines
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2008
Thank you to this guest for writing such a thorough review. We appreciate the kind words and will share them with our staff. I am sure they will be excited to read them.

I am sorry this guest found their room to be damp. We will look into this issue and affect repairs as necessary.

Again, thank you!
South Carolina
Reviewed 21 August 2008

I made my reservation online and loved the fact that the website was so user-friendly. When I arrived, the front desk clerk was very kind and cheerful and showed me exactly where I could park and where my room would be located. The staff was very knowledgeable of the Charleston area and able to make many suggestions for dinner and tours. The pool is beautiful and was a great place to relax. I loved the fact that while I was meandering around the property, I saw different staff members that greeted me and asked how I was doing. I definitely suggest this place since they are in a convenient location to everything!

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 25 August 2008
Thank you to this guest for their wonderful review. I have posted it on our associate bulletin board so they can see that their hard work is noticed!

Thanks again!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 August 2008

I booked a spot at this hotel because of the reviews here and the price for the room. The hotel is clean, neat and tidy and the staff and manager were very friendly (save for one front desk agent who was efficient but not very personable). The grounds are well kept, the pool is big and clean and the hotel is super convenient to Folly Island beach and Charleston historical district. An awesome value all considering.

The wi-fi wasn't so great, logging in was a bit complicated and you had to have a pop-up staying up the entire time or else you would get disconnected. The wi-fi signal issue wasn't a big deal because the room did have an Ethernet cord at the desk so internet connectivity wasn't a problem. You just weren't able to move about.

I'd definitely stay here again when visiting Charleston.

• Liked — price, location, Southern hospitality
  • Disliked — wi-fi
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2008
Thank you to this guest for writing such a wonderful review. I have passed along the comments regarding the log-in page to our wireless internet provider in the hope that they can improve their system.

We always appreciate such honest feedback as it is a valuable tool we use to improve our operation. I am sure my staff will be quite pleased to read these comments.

Thanks!
Upstate New York
Reviewed 2 August 2008

The price was reasonable. It was a great location. The staff both on the phone and at the hotel were exceptional! We would gladly stay there again!

• Liked — the staff and the pool
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2008
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to share their thoughts about our property. We aim to please each guest we come in contact with. Obviously, in this guest's case, we came close to our goal.

Thanks!
SC
Reviewed 29 July 2008

My family & I stayed at this motel for the 1st time and were very impressed!

When we arrived, (close to check in time) the desk clerks were very polite and helpful.
Our room was decorated very nice and the housekeeper was just finishing up in our room as we were checking in and she also was very friendly.

We missed the continental breakfast the 1st morning unfortunately because we overslept. But the following day we made sure to get up on time and were very pleased with the selection, cleanliness and freshness of the breakfast.

They offer a nice selection of bagels, muffins, hot cereal, cold cereals, waffles, juices, yogurts and fresh fruit and coffee.

The location was very convenient to downtown, the harbor, and restaurants.

The pool was nice & big, but was a little crowded at night with kids due a big dance competition in town.

For a family with 2 teenage boys this place was great!

We will definitely stay here again & have recommended it to family & friends also.

I wrote to the manager & raved about the motel, and he actually takes the time to reply. Thats the little touches that make this motel special.

• Liked — The price!
  • Disliked — The hallway outside the room smelled like urine
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 31 July 2008
I would like to thank this guest for not only their stay but their positive review as well. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations. It is great to hear that we came close to achieving our goal! I am sure my staff will be very happy to read this review. Thanks again!
TN
Reviewed 27 July 2008

I was happy to see that the reviews on this site were correct. I was searching for a reasonable rate that was close to town and found it here. One of the biggest things that sold me on this hotel was the manager taking the time to respond to posts! Upon arriving the check in was fast and the clerk was very nice. All the employees greeted us and were extremely pleasant. The room was clean and we really like that it had a fridge in it. The bed was acutally not bad for a hotel bed. I would definitely consider staying here again as it was about 5 minutes to downtown. If you are looking for an area that feels more touristy, I would recommend the Mount Pleasant area as it was really nice, but there was nothing wrong with our stay here. The pool area was clean and set up very nice. Check out was quick and the clerk made sure that we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2008
I am very happy to hear that this guest enjoyed their visit with us and would like to thank them for taking the time to write their review. As I have stated before, we value all guest feedback, as it helps us fine tune our operation. I am sure my staff will very happy, as I am, to hear their efforts are being recognized.