“Would stay here again!”

Best Western Charleston Inn
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 20 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is only 3 miles from downtown, but it can take up to 15 minutes to commute depending on the traffic. The location is really nice b/c it is near Mt. Pleasant, Folly Beach, downtown Charleston, and is centrally located. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was not fancy, but very clean and efficient...and I am picky about cleanliness. I was very happy that the room had a fridge and microwave. When you go out to eat and have leftovers, or bring food from home like we did, these are necessities. I was also very pleased with the fact that they have a continental breakfast and it was very good. In a city where food can be costly, it was nice to have a full breakfast for free. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend the hotel for people on a budget who want a convenient, clean place to stay. The only negatives were that the rooms were exterior which meant the AC had to work harder...we had to keep ours on 65 the whole time b/c of the humidity. There is no elevator to the 2nd floor of the rooms. The double bed was a little small for my husband and I - get a KING if you can! Other than that, this hotel was a pleasant surprise. I stayed in a three star hotel the next night and although the decorations were better, I like the Sweetgrass Inn much more!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2009

Thank you so much for this review. We appreciate your feedback. It is always such a pleasure to hear that our hard work is being noticed.

Thanks again for the review as well as your patronage.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Charleston Inn

Reviewed 19 May 2009

My thoughts are similiar to west2926, although I would rank the hotel higher on relative value.
It is an older hotel, but one that is well preserved. I was very impressed with the grounds, and how well they were planted and maintained. The pool also looked very nice, although it was too cool to use it in May. The rooms are small in comparison to how they build them nowadays, but that's not a serious concern for two people. The room we stayed in (and likely all of the rooms) have the old style of a direct outdoor entrance, rather than a central hallway. That means that anyone can go up the stairs, and look into your room directly, unless the drapes are drawn.

The breakfast was not great. The hostess on duty insisted on heating up my pastry in the microwave, although I didn't want this. It's a small thing, but I thought on this day the staff was trying a bit too hard to be helpful.

Bottom line, the management and staff are doing the best they possibly could with what they have to work with in terms of the building and the location. For the room rate, I don't see how you could do better. If you are rich, you may want to look into staying downtown; if you are on a budget, this is a pleasant and convenient place to stay. Downtown, the plantations, and Charles Towne Landing are all close.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2009

I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We pride ourselves on our staff and it is quite rewarding to know that their hard work is being noticed. We train our staff to be not only service agents but as ambassadors to the entire Charleston area.

Again, thank you for your comments as well as your patronage.

Reviewed 18 May 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and stayed at their deluxe room. Although the hotel is located outside of the city center, it was easy to drive into the center (15-minute drive) anytime. It's near a well-known bbq and hamburger restaurants. I am not thrilled with the room set up as far as security is concerned as the rooms are accessible from the parking lot. Everyone assigned at the reception area during our stay were very pleasant though the person at the breakfast room was not. Our request for a quiet room, extra towels and hangers were granted pleasantly and quickly. The only problem we encountered which is actually the worst we had in our 25 years of travelling were roaches infestation. Although the hotel generously discounted our stay, the thought of those roaches really turned us off. Whenever we arrived at night and turn on the lights, we saw roaches; when my husband went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, he saw roaches and we saw roaches on the ref handle. We tried to move to other hotels but had a hard time finding one since our stay coincide with the graduation at College of Charleston. When we went back home, I had to check each and every piece of our luggage and contents for roaches.

1  Thank Globetrotter11

I am happy this guest took the time to write a review. When they reported the insect problem to our front desk, we immediatley credited them for one nights room and tax. We contacted our pest control company who inspected the room, found the bugs, and treated the room immediatley. As part of our regular operation, our rooms are treated monthly by a professional pest control company. Whenever we receive a report of insects, which isn't often, we immediatley respond in an agressive manner. We do not treat matter such as this lightly. I am glad that this guest enjoyed the rest of their stay with us and their visit to Charleston. I only hope that the next time they visit Charleston they will give us another try so they can see that the conditions they encountered were not a true representation of our property.

Reviewed 30 April 2009

My husband and I recently visited Charleston. We
stayed at this Best Western and were very pleased with everything about our
stay. From our first greeting at the registration desk, to our
final breakfast before we left, our stay was very enjoyable. The staff helped
us find a wonderful place to eat and gave us maps and information
about the area. The breakfasts were exceptional and got us off to a great start to our day. The room was clean and very inviting. The idea of being able to use the computer in the lobby was an added feature. Generally, all the staff that we encountered
were friendly and helpful. We would certainly come back and stay there
again! Because of our stay in Charleston, we chose another Best Western
as we continued our travels
I very seldom write notes like this to express my pleasure with a hotel
stay. However, this time I felt that our satisfaction with our stay needed
to be shared.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2009

I would like to thank this guest for their positive comments. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us fine tune our operation. I am happy this guest was satisfied with our level of service.

Again, thank you!

Reviewed 28 April 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights in early April and wish we could have stayed more! This is a lovely hard to fault hotel set just outside of the downtown area of Charleston.The room was spotlessly clean and of a nice size for me,my wife and daughter.The hotel is set round a pool and is 2 storeys high.We did hear noise from next doors tv in the early hours on our first night,wether this was because we had an adjoining door or the walls were thin,i dont know but the following evening was not a problem.
Breakfast buffet was ample and the attendant in the breakfast room was most helpfull,giving a hand to my wife when using the waffle machine.The staff at reception were lovely and able to help us with any enquires and directions we needed.Im not sure of the name of the girl who checked us out and wish i had gotten her name but she deserves a special mention for her attentiveness.
The hotel has computer with internet in the reception area,which especially pleased my daughter.
The hotel is only about a 10 - 15 minute drive to downtown.There is a big Kmart opposite which was very handy and also an IHop restaurant and a Burger king.
I absolutely loved Charleston and cant wait to come back as 2 nights was definitely not long enough.I can assure you when we do come back "The Best Western Sweet Grass Inn" will be our choice.If you are considering staying in Charleston stay here!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2009

I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write such a glowing review. As we have stated before, we see our selves as Charleston's ambassadors. As such, we strive to make sure our guests enjoy not only their visit with us, but their time in our city as well.

Again, thank you for the kind comments!

Reviewed 11 April 2009

On our 3-city trip (Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston), this was the hotel I was most concerned with. I totally trusted trip-advisor.com reviews and rankings... I think overall it is a pretty good value for the money in expensive Charleston, but am not sure it is worthy of quite such a high ranking through trip-advisor.

I look at this as "the little hotel that could..." It is an old hotel trying desperately not to become an old motel... The service was fantastic - from our arrival and meeting "Monique" at the front desk to the housekeeping, grounds crew and the lady manning the free breakfast (which was much better than I expected!). Kudos to he management of this hotel as they have clearly set a high expectation of service for the employees - and kudos to the employees for always putting the customer first.

The room was a little cramped and each night/morning someone else's car alarm went off... earlier in the trip we stayed at nicer hotels so it was a little hard ending our trip with this older hotel... Kept having issues with their wireless internet. Hotel staff service was first-class... overall hotel could use a facelift.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2009

Thank you to this guest for taking the time to post their thoughts on our property. I am very happy to hear that our staff once again delivered excellant customer service. We do strive to make sure that every guest receives our personal best.
I am so sorry to hear that someones car alarm disturbed this guest's rest. That is truly unacceptable and I will make sure our security detail is vigilent in finding these types of disturbances.
We do have many renovation plans for the future. I hope this guest will stop back on their next trip to Charleston to see how much the hotel has improved.
Thanks again!

Reviewed 16 March 2009

Stayed here for two nights and it was one of the best motel/inn stays I've had. The staff were very friendly and quick to answer any questions, the room was clean and smelled fresh, the breakfast selection was better than your typical toast and muffins continental (fresh waffles available one morning), and the breakfast attendant on duty both mornings was outstanding. The location was easy to find and good for us in that we were heading south to Savannah after our stay, and there were plenty of places to eat in the area. The only negatives I would say was that the room didn't have a vent in the bathroom and we could hear the banging every time some one used the stairway outside. All in all I would stay here again without hesitation if I was visiting the area.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JohnnyCanuck29
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2009

Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to post their comments as well as for visiting with us. It really means a lot to my staff and I to hear that our efforts are being noticed.
We do have plans to add bathroom vents to the rooms that do not currently have them, however, currently over 50% of our rooms do have vents.
Again, thank you so much for your comments as well as your patronage. We look forward to seeing you in the future.