“Horrible Customer Service”

Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
South Carolina
“Horrible Customer Service”
Reviewed 31 May 2009

We picked this hotel due to its close location both downtown and the beach and because we had stayed here before. The rooms have had an update and are okay (very outdated bathrooms still and some questionable cleanliness - we found several ants and a roach). The main problem is the service. We had a maid enter our room after it was cleaned without knocking or announcing herself. Our biggest issue though was the front desk. We had called the day we left to see if it was possible to extend our stay by another night. We were told this was fine and to remind the front desk when we checked in. I did so and was told they had us down, signed and assumed all was well. We rudely found out this was not the case by a pounding on our door at 10pm the last night of our stay (we had lound neighbors and encountered several drunks in the parking lot the night before so did not realize the pounding - not knocking - was on our door). The pounding occured 3 times and we called the front desk. I went to the door and found it was only held closed by the chain. I slammed it shut, looked through the peephole to see a large man standing outside. I yelled that this was not his room, got no response and waited until he left. After a conversation with the front-desk's "head of customer service" or some such, in which it was claimed they had spoken to us about our credit card (we had no such conversation with them), they had called our room several times (no voicemail was left and we had no call during the time we were in the room) and that the man sent was head of maintenance (he did not knock and announce himself, he wore know name tag) - all of this in a very hostile manner - we went to the front desk. We were treated again with hostility, sarcasm and humor at our expense and a far cry from customer service. Do not stay here - there are plenty of other hotels in this price range in this area (Holiday Inn Express, Town and Country Hotel and Conference Center, a Sleep Inn next door - several Holiday Inns nearby). No amount of apologizing or repayment or room costs can erase this horrible experience. My only hope is that they replace their staff and train their new staff in customer service 101.

• Stayed May 2009
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 3 June 2009
We are very much aware of this guest's issues. This guest had a reservation through a third party web site and requested an extra night to be booked directly through us. This is not an issue and happens on a regular basis. On the morning their original reservation expired they were contacted by the front desk and asked to bring a credit card to secure the room which they stated they would. After 3PM, our Guest Service Manager, who has been discussed glowingly on this review site, began trying to contact this guest to secure a form of payment as they had never paid for the final night of their stay. At 10PM, she did dispatch a maintenance person to the guest's room to see if they were still there and why they had not answered the phone. After receiving no answers to his knock, he opened the door and yelled out for the guest. The door was slammed in his face and the guest did finally contact the front desk.

I am sorry this guest felt they were treated rudely. In fact, the final night of their stay was given to them free by our Assistant General Manager in an effort to placate them. However, had they brought a form of payment to the desk at any time for the final night of their stay, this incident would never have occured.

I am sure any reasonable traveler will read the reviews listed here, as well as my comments, and know that we place a high premium on guest service and will continue to do so in the future.

Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
missouri
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We stayed one night at this property after returning from a cruise. The property is well-maintained and attractive. The rooms were nice enough, with comfortable beds and clean linens. My only complaint was that the bathroom was a bit grimey, with cobwebs under the sink and in the ceiling corners. The tub was stained in spots, and the edges of the floor were quite dirty.

The continental breakfast was served in a nice area and offered a good selection of food choices. No complaints there!

On the morning of our departure, we nearly were hit with a bag being thrown by a housekeeper from upstairs. I am not sure if it was garbage or laundry - all I know is that it was chucked over the stair railing and landed about 2 feet from where we were standing.

Overall, I would stay in this hotel again if nothing closer to downtown were available (as was the case this trip). It was fine for one night, but I don't know if it would be my choice for a longer visit.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 1 June 2009
Thank you for your comments. I was shocked to read that one of our housekeepers broke protocol and threw a bag from the second floor. I have met with our entire housekeeping department. They are now very much aware that this behavior will not be tolerated.

Again, thank you for your comments as well as your patronage.
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We stayed at the Sweetgrass for 3 nights, it was clean, well maintained, the staff was efficient and pleasant. We found this to be a great value. Only downside is the coffee although plentiful was weak.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 28 May 2009
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write their review. I am sorry they found the coffee to be weak. We will contact our coffee vendor. Perhaps there is a problem with the brewing equipment.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our property and for choosing us as your home away from home in Charleston.
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 20 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is only 3 miles from downtown, but it can take up to 15 minutes to commute depending on the traffic. The location is really nice b/c it is near Mt. Pleasant, Folly Beach, downtown Charleston, and is centrally located. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was not fancy, but very clean and efficient...and I am picky about cleanliness. I was very happy that the room had a fridge and microwave. When you go out to eat and have leftovers, or bring food from home like we did, these are necessities. I was also very pleased with the fact that they have a continental breakfast and it was very good. In a city where food can be costly, it was nice to have a full breakfast for free. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend the hotel for people on a budget who want a convenient, clean place to stay. The only negatives were that the rooms were exterior which meant the AC had to work harder...we had to keep ours on 65 the whole time b/c of the humidity. There is no elevator to the 2nd floor of the rooms. The double bed was a little small for my husband and I - get a KING if you can! Other than that, this hotel was a pleasant surprise. I stayed in a three star hotel the next night and although the decorations were better, I like the Sweetgrass Inn much more!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2009
Thank you so much for this review. We appreciate your feedback. It is always such a pleasure to hear that our hard work is being noticed.

Thanks again for the review as well as your patronage.
cuyahoga falls ohio
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My thoughts are similiar to west2926, although I would rank the hotel higher on relative value.
It is an older hotel, but one that is well preserved. I was very impressed with the grounds, and how well they were planted and maintained. The pool also looked very nice, although it was too cool to use it in May. The rooms are small in comparison to how they build them nowadays, but that's not a serious concern for two people. The room we stayed in (and likely all of the rooms) have the old style of a direct outdoor entrance, rather than a central hallway. That means that anyone can go up the stairs, and look into your room directly, unless the drapes are drawn.

The breakfast was not great. The hostess on duty insisted on heating up my pastry in the microwave, although I didn't want this. It's a small thing, but I thought on this day the staff was trying a bit too hard to be helpful.

Bottom line, the management and staff are doing the best they possibly could with what they have to work with in terms of the building and the location. For the room rate, I don't see how you could do better. If you are rich, you may want to look into staying downtown; if you are on a budget, this is a pleasant and convenient place to stay. Downtown, the plantations, and Charles Towne Landing are all close.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2009
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We pride ourselves on our staff and it is quite rewarding to know that their hard work is being noticed. We train our staff to be not only service agents but as ambassadors to the entire Charleston area.

Again, thank you for your comments as well as your patronage.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and stayed at their deluxe room. Although the hotel is located outside of the city center, it was easy to drive into the center (15-minute drive) anytime. It's near a well-known bbq and hamburger restaurants. I am not thrilled with the room set up as far as security is concerned as the rooms are accessible from the parking lot. Everyone assigned at the reception area during our stay were very pleasant though the person at the breakfast room was not. Our request for a quiet room, extra towels and hangers were granted pleasantly and quickly. The only problem we encountered which is actually the worst we had in our 25 years of travelling were roaches infestation. Although the hotel generously discounted our stay, the thought of those roaches really turned us off. Whenever we arrived at night and turn on the lights, we saw roaches; when my husband went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, he saw roaches and we saw roaches on the ref handle. We tried to move to other hotels but had a hard time finding one since our stay coincide with the graduation at College of Charleston. When we went back home, I had to check each and every piece of our luggage and contents for roaches.

1 Thank Globetrotter11
I am happy this guest took the time to write a review. When they reported the insect problem to our front desk, we immediatley credited them for one nights room and tax. We contacted our pest control company who inspected the room, found the bugs, and treated the room immediatley. As part of our regular operation, our rooms are treated monthly by a professional pest control company. Whenever we receive a report of insects, which isn't often, we immediatley respond in an agressive manner. We do not treat matter such as this lightly. I am glad that this guest enjoyed the rest of their stay with us and their visit to Charleston. I only hope that the next time they visit Charleston they will give us another try so they can see that the conditions they encountered were not a true representation of our property.
Syracuse
Reviewed 30 April 2009

My husband and I recently visited Charleston. We
stayed at this Best Western and were very pleased with everything about our
stay. From our first greeting at the registration desk, to our
final breakfast before we left, our stay was very enjoyable. The staff helped
us find a wonderful place to eat and gave us maps and information
about the area. The breakfasts were exceptional and got us off to a great start to our day. The room was clean and very inviting. The idea of being able to use the computer in the lobby was an added feature. Generally, all the staff that we encountered
were friendly and helpful. We would certainly come back and stay there
again! Because of our stay in Charleston, we chose another Best Western
as we continued our travels
I very seldom write notes like this to express my pleasure with a hotel
stay. However, this time I felt that our satisfaction with our stay needed
to be shared.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 4 May 2009
I would like to thank this guest for their positive comments. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us fine tune our operation. I am happy this guest was satisfied with our level of service.

Again, thank you!