“Outstanding service!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Sunnyvale, CA
“Outstanding service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

I obtained a great rate at this hotel through Priceline.com. I was very pleased when I checked in since I received outstanding service by the deskclerk on duty. She could not have been nicer. Later I requested information about where to go to get some flowers for my daughter-in-law who had just delivered her baby the day before. I felt like I had my personal concierge service. Very pleasant hotel, convenient location, quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 18 January 2010
Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to post their comments. We pride ourselves on offering the best customer service in our area; it appears in this guest's case we came close to achieving our goal.

Thanks again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

This motel is located west of downtown Charleston in an area of new car dealerships. It is only a 10-minute drive to the downtown attractions. Since this is an exterior-corridor motel, parking is in front of your room, with some overflow parking surrounding the building. Traffic on the Savannah Highway can be heavy at times, so turning left into or out of the motel parking lot can take some patience.

The Best Western Sweetgrass makes a very good first impression. The exterior is nicely landscaped. I was surprised at the large and attractively decorated lobby. The front desk clerk was charming and attentive and check-in went smoothly and as booked. When I asked about nearby dining, the desk clerk provided a turn-by-turn printout and even offered coupons for the restaurant.

The first impression turned out to be a good indicator of what was to come. The medium-sized room was clean, quiet and attractive. Furnishings included two double beds, a night table, a desk with a chair, a dresser and a small round table with a chair. The room also included a microwave, refrigerator, coffeemaker, hair dryer, ironing board and iron, free wireless Internet, alarm clock and a television. Though the pillowtop double bed we slept in was comfortable, we usually sleep in a queen bed and found ourselves bumping into each other a bit even though we both are smaller sized adults. It seems that more double beds are being used in motels than we have noticed in the past.

The continental breakfast included waffles, oatmeal, cereals, bagels, toast, boiled eggs, coffee, tea and juices and a few similar items. Free coffee is also always available in the lobby. The seating area was full when we ate, so we had to share a table with other guests.

Check-out went quickly and the friendly desk clerk asked if everything was okay with our stay. She also offered a free map of the Charleston downtown area.

Overall, the Best Western Sweetgrass Inn exceeded expectations, providing clean and comfortable accommodations for a very reasonable rate. As long as the rate remained reasonable, this is a motel we would stay at again, even if the double beds are a bit small for us.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 6 January 2010
Thnak you to this guest for taking the time to post their comments as well as for choosing to stay with us. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellant guest service. I am sure my staff will be very happy to hear that in this guest's case, we came very close to our goal.

Again, thank you for the wonderful comments and for your patronage! We appreciate it!
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

We just stayed for 5 nights because my granddaughter was born at MUSC on 12/28 with congenital heart defect. She is having her first surgery today and her name is Anna Grace.
Best Western had great breakfasts and clean rooms every day. Also, a very nice lobby with computer and printer if needed. The wireless connection was excellent. AND, we were able to bring our little dog, Dixie Cup, a miniature dachsund.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 5 January 2010
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments when they are obviously going through a very difficult period. As we do with all reviews, I have shared this review with my staff. The prayers of everyone here are going our to little Anna Grace. Hopefully, everything turns out well and she grows up happy and strong.

Again, thank you for your comments! We appreciate your business!
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

We were looking for a hotel close to our kids for the Christmas season and found this via tripadvisor. We were very happy with the room (ground floor: handicapped) and were glad we could pull up in front of the room for easy unloading of our luggage,ect. The pilllows were a little lumpy, but other than that, it was a nice, clean, affordable room. The woman at the front desk was very nice and helpful with directions. I would reccommend this to anyone traveling on a budget.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thank to this guest for taking the time to post their comments as well as for choosing to stay with us. I am sorry the pillows were a little lumpy; we do change them frequently.

Again, thank you for your comments as well as your patronage!
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

We stayed here for 6 days while taking in the sites of Charleston. Overall a nice hotel. The grounds are beautiful and the hotel is painted a pleasant peach color. Our room looked out onto the pool which was also nice although it was too cold out to use. The hotel is located in a business district with a lot of car dealerships, convenient to downtown and local restaurants. Rooms are clean and comfortable and have an added bonus of microwave and mini fridge which we took advantage of. The staff is very courteous and helpful, especially the woman who monitored the breakfast room - very sweet. Continental breakfast is more than adequate but make sure you get there early as it gets crowded and they close it up by 9:00.
My only complaint is that the walls are super thin. I could hear my neighbors every time they showered or used the bathroom as if they were in my own room. I also had a neighbor who snored very loudly, hearing him even over the sound of the t.v. Also, there are only 4 rooms with king sized beds so if that's an issue for you, this may not be the place for you.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 3 January 2010
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their review as well as choosing to stay with us. We always appreciate guest feedback, as it assists us in improving our operation. I am sorry that this guest found our walls thin, but they are constructed of concrete block. Perhaps in an upcoming renovation we can examine adding more sound proofing.

Coastal NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

My husband and I just returned home from Charleston, SC. We stayed at the Best Western Sweetgrass Inn while we were there. The staff was extremely helpful and very pleasant to be around. The hotel was clean and well supplied.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 22 November 2009
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to share their comments. We truly believe that the difference between an average hotel and an excellant hotel is the people. We strive to insure that every guest enjoys not only their stay with us, but their visit to Charleston as well. I am sure my staff will be very happy to know that their hard work was noticed.

St. Louis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

The rooms and grounds were clean and generally well maintained. The rooms could possibly go for a remodel in the near future, but they certainly weren't bad. Front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Location is great IF you don't want to pay a premium for the downtown-area hotels--it's an easy 10-min. drive downtown and a few more minutes to the beaches. If possible, avoid rush hour when coming/going--it's terrible on that road...simply pulling out of the hotel is a chore at that time of day. MY ONE COMPLAINT: Housekeeping was NOT very good. Though the room was kept clean, they repeatedly forgot to replace toiletries, etc. They took our soap on day 1 and never replaced it for the remaining 2-3 days we stayed. Coffee was only sometimes replaced. It just seemed like they were in a hurry, and thus didn't adequately stock the room. In short, this hotel is not the nicest, but certainly not the worst, and as such, is a pretty great value when factoring cost/location.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 16 November 2009
I would like to thank this guest for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am shocked that this guest experienced such terrible housekeeping service. I have discussed this review with our Housekeeping Manager. As a result of this guest's comments, we have stepped up our housekeeping inspections and found the housekeeper in question. This individual has been re-trained and the issue corrected. Many thanks to this guest for bringing the problem to my attention.