“It is what it is!”

Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
maine
“It is what it is!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

If you accept this hotel for what it is you might be pleased. What is it? It is convenient to Charleston, The islands, and the airport. The rooms are good size. The desk (except for two) and the breakfast staff were very good and helpful. The breakfast was nice. Good pool. Free parking.
What it is not! I had two requests at the desk during the weekend. One was for coffee in the lobby. I was told she would fill it "in a while".. I told another desk person Sunday that the Internet has not worked for several days from the room. I was told he used his laptop all night and it was fine so it must be my laptop. Not so, my laptop is fine. I brought my laptop all the way to Charleston for nothing!
I had an issue with housekeeping and had to go to he desk for towels, soap, etc. I was told that we would get a $10.00 credit for my "trouble". I thought that was a nice touch---I never got the credit.
That is where this hotel falls flat. The small things that add to your enjoyment. They just do not pay attention to them. No local newspaper in the vending machine, really small pillows (you should throw them out). A housekeeping staff that is spotty at best.
The walls are very thing and you can easily hear the next rooms bathroom and TV.
All in all it has somethings going for it but a lot that is not.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 22 March 2010
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments. We always appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative, as it assists us in constantly improving our operation. I am sorry that this guest did not receive the service we pride ourselves on. I have shared this guest's comments with our operations department, I am sure they will take the issues raised to heart.
If this guest would be so kind to contact me personally, we would be happy to process the refund they were promised.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2010

Decent hotel for a 60-70 buck range. Small restrooms is the only hitch. Other than that, its a good stay. Definitely recommended for a quick weekend stay .. while on a trip to Charleston. The downtown is a quick 10 min drive - so no issues there as well.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 9 March 2010
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments. We always appreciate guest feedback as it helps us constantly improve our operation.

Again, many thanks to this guest for their patronage as well as their comments!
Greenville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

Because my company was paying the bill, I was looking for a decent rate. Saw reviews on Trip Advisor and noticed this hotel ranked well and the GM responded to each review- this attention to detail and how the customers perceive things was a real Wow. The desk agents were super-friendly, offering information about the area without waiting for us to ask. I was really impressed with the room- it is older, but very well kept. The manager seems to really care and it shows because the staff was extraordinary. Each staff member I came into contact with was smiling and said Hello and asked me how things were! I have been in great hotels before and can tell you that price has nothing to do with quality- I've paid three times as much for a room before and was half as impressed as I was with the Best Western here. Keep up the great work! I will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
I would like to thank this guest not only for choosing to stay with us but for taking the time to post such wonderful comments. We appreciate all guest feedback as it helps us in our mission to constantly improve ourselves. As we post each of these comments for the associates to read, I am very sure they will be happy to know their hard work is being appreciated.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2010

Am currently sitting in my room in this hotel in a nice big comfy chair writing this review. We were expecting this hotel to be good, after reading these reviews, and we are not disppointed! Big, clean, bright room. Friendly, helpful staff. The pool looks great (and very clean) but it's February and waaay too cold to swim anyway! Breakfast is good - cereals, muffins, cook-it-yourself waffles, coffee/tea, fruit...

So...it's all good, no complaints at all!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 22 February 2010
Many thanks to the guest for taking the time to post such wonderful comments. We appreciate all guest feedback, as it helps us improve our operation.

Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

We were just staying one night in town doing wedding planning. The room was big, clean and had everything you could need. ... Friendly staff and more than delightful continental breakfast. The location was great as well for all things downtown and vendors on Folly/James Island. The only complaints I had was the internet connection was really slow. I couldn't use it. I had to think the weather may have impacted it some. There were also a younger group of people who were quite loud and inconsiderate. Staff quickly called the group and addressed the problem before we had to say anything. Thank you for helping us get a quiet and restful stay! The beds definitely helped. Very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 11 February 2010
Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to write a review about our property. We appreciate all guest feedback as it allows us to constantly monitor how our efforts to improve are being received.
I am sorry the internet connection was slow. We recently upgraded to a different providor who promised more speed. I will certainly speak with them about the issue. Thanks for letting us know!
Sunnyvale, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

I obtained a great rate at this hotel through Priceline.com. I was very pleased when I checked in since I received outstanding service by the deskclerk on duty. She could not have been nicer. Later I requested information about where to go to get some flowers for my daughter-in-law who had just delivered her baby the day before. I felt like I had my personal concierge service. Very pleasant hotel, convenient location, quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 18 January 2010
Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to post their comments. We pride ourselves on offering the best customer service in our area; it appears in this guest's case we came close to achieving our goal.

Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

This motel is located west of downtown Charleston in an area of new car dealerships. It is only a 10-minute drive to the downtown attractions. Since this is an exterior-corridor motel, parking is in front of your room, with some overflow parking surrounding the building. Traffic on the Savannah Highway can be heavy at times, so turning left into or out of the motel parking lot can take some patience.

The Best Western Sweetgrass makes a very good first impression. The exterior is nicely landscaped. I was surprised at the large and attractively decorated lobby. The front desk clerk was charming and attentive and check-in went smoothly and as booked. When I asked about nearby dining, the desk clerk provided a turn-by-turn printout and even offered coupons for the restaurant.

The first impression turned out to be a good indicator of what was to come. The medium-sized room was clean, quiet and attractive. Furnishings included two double beds, a night table, a desk with a chair, a dresser and a small round table with a chair. The room also included a microwave, refrigerator, coffeemaker, hair dryer, ironing board and iron, free wireless Internet, alarm clock and a television. Though the pillowtop double bed we slept in was comfortable, we usually sleep in a queen bed and found ourselves bumping into each other a bit even though we both are smaller sized adults. It seems that more double beds are being used in motels than we have noticed in the past.

The continental breakfast included waffles, oatmeal, cereals, bagels, toast, boiled eggs, coffee, tea and juices and a few similar items. Free coffee is also always available in the lobby. The seating area was full when we ate, so we had to share a table with other guests.

Check-out went quickly and the friendly desk clerk asked if everything was okay with our stay. She also offered a free map of the Charleston downtown area.

Overall, the Best Western Sweetgrass Inn exceeded expectations, providing clean and comfortable accommodations for a very reasonable rate. As long as the rate remained reasonable, this is a motel we would stay at again, even if the double beds are a bit small for us.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards - General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, 6 January 2010
Thnak you to this guest for taking the time to post their comments as well as for choosing to stay with us. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellant guest service. I am sure my staff will be very happy to hear that in this guest's case, we came very close to our goal.

Again, thank you for the wonderful comments and for your patronage! We appreciate it!