“Good food not so good service”
Review of Wentworth Grill - CLOSED

Wentworth Grill
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: At our downtown Charleston restaurant, Chef Jeffry Robinson, seasonally crafts menus that are a delight to the palette. Featuring approachable American cuisine flavored with indigenous elements, the menus showcase Charleston’s culinary affluence.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We went here for an early dinner. We had a restaurant.com certificate. We were seated in the bar area. The manager, I believe his name was Chris, came over to get our drink order. There didn't seem to be any other wait staff around. I mentioned to him that we had the certificate and he responded rudely, "make sure you spend at least $50 and that doesn't include alcohol". I already knew that as it states it on the certificate. My husband and I don't eat much so we ordered the scallops dinner to split which he didn't seem to happy about. Between an appetizer, dinner and dessert, we met the $50. The scallops dinner was excellent. It included puréed corn which was great. The scallops were perfectly cooked.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We enjoyed our breakfasts there, which was part of our package deal for staying at the Renaissance Hotel

Reviewed 8 July 2014

On our last day in Charleston, we went to the Wentworth grill, the reviews were mixed on tripadvisor, but we had a restaurant.com certificate so it was a good deal. There is a wonderful buffet, we decided to order from the menu. I had the peach pecan pancakes, they were delicious, and the size of my plate. The service was very good.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I am an avid trip advisor follower and contributor.
I checked out reviews on wentworth...scary.
But, we had a "Groupon", so we checked it out.
We went at about 7pm. Bartender and waiter stood there and looked at us for what seemed like a few minutes. Bartender was talking with the only other people in the entire restaurant...2!
Dining room was totally empty...scary. Bartender finally asked us if we were there for dinner. Yes!
We decided that it was such a nice evening outside that we opted to dine outside. Mistake! Air conditioning and exhaust fans were so loud, we could barely hear each other speak. We were escorted to our outside table by waiter "Bob". Bob continuously stated that they DO have good food and a large customer base as we walked through the vacant dining area. He also explained that they had a wedding/anniversary party that was coming in at about 7:30, so we picked a good time to dine. I ordered a "diablo"...nothing special, very sweet drink (only had one). Wife ordered a pomegranate martini (from wife, "good, but nothing special"). Wife ordered an arugala salad. She liked her salad very much ("best part of her meal"). I went with the Kale Caesar salad. It was great flavor, but way too much dressing (ask for it on the side, if possible). They do NOT have anchovies??? Curious how you make a "caesar salad W/O anchovies? I dunno!
The meal came with complementary order of "Portuguese cornbread". It was very good.
My wife ordered a "grilled tuna special"....Quote, "it was awful".
I ordered the lamb chops. There were about 8 small lamb "lollipops". I asked for medium rare (which is how I prefer my lamb). the chops came out very rare and tough. BUT, the flavor was awesome.
Dessert...key lime pie. I think there were 3 small key lime "tarts". decent flavor, possibly store bought??
Mocha creme brûlée, very good.
W/O a "Groupon", we probably won't be back.
Sorry, let me restate...we won't go back.

Brian W, Manager at Wentworth Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us in regards to your recent experience at the Wentworth Grill. It is obvious from your comments that your experience was less than stellar. I can assure you that this is definitely not indicative of our typical guest experience. We always strive for an excellent experience and it's apparent that we failed to accomplish this for you. Your feedback is very important to us and we always want to ensure our guests complete satisfaction. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again.

Warm regards,
John

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We started with salads: the unique kale caesar salad and the chopped salad were both very well done. The presentation and the quality of the lamb chops and the WG Carbonara (ravioli with goat cheese and lemon) were first rate. Service was professional and nicely timed. The wine list offered reasonably priced wines by the glass. The atmosphere in the room did not live up to the quality of the food, but I'll take gourmet food over atmosphere any day. Highly recommended.